Music

MazE

Released in 1993.  Pearl Jam's second album.  One of my favorite albums.  One of the best Grunge albums in my opinion.  I love the production quality.  I like Dave Abbruzzese's drumming.  Mike McCready's lead guitar playing is top shelf on this album.  I can hear a Southern Rock influence on this album.  "Rats" is a cool song.  "Indifference" is a great song and album ender.

Eddie Vedder – lead vocals, acoustic guitar
Mike McCready – lead guitar (and backing rhythm guitar)
Stone Gossard – rhythm guitar, backing vocals
Jeff Ament – electric bass, acoustic bass
Dave Abbruzzese – drums, percussion

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor

Nice. I burned that one out too. I think Black’s my favorite. Such a beautiful tune.

That & ‘Live at Luther College’ (Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds). Listen to that for like 2 years. Lol. 🤷 

I once read, ‘If all else in life sucks, at least you can say you were alive at the same time as Eddie Vedder’. 

That’s kinda true. 

Released in 1989.  One of my favorite albums.  Top shelf.  This is definitely one of the first Grunge albums.  Kurt Cobain is one of my favorite guitar players.  He doesn't get enough credit as a guitar player.  His rhythm guitar and tone are excellent.  This is kind of an Indie Rock/Alternative Rock album too.  This album sounds a couple years ahead of its time.  Huge Post Punk influence on this album.  I also hear a No Wave influence on this too (No Wave not New Wave).  This album is very integrous and also very original.  It has a Heavy Metal influence to it too which is cool.  I can tell this album influenced Slint's "Spiderland (1991)".

Kurt Cobain - vocals, guitar
Krist Novoselic - bass
Chad Channing - drums

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1988.  One of my favorite albums.  This album is highly influential and is one of those blueprint albums.  It's kind of a Post Punk album.  It's also an Indie Rock/Alternative Rock album.  I would say Proto-Grunge too.  I can hear some Cure in this album.  Some Stereolab.  This is a very integrous album that's also very original.  You can hear Robert Smith's guitar style in the rhythm guitar lines sometimes.  Definite Velvet Underground influence.  This album is full of texture.  Nirvana was heavily influenced by Sonic Youth.  I hear a Faust influence too on this album.   This is definitely an Art Rock album.  Huge Krautrock influence on this album.  I love that!  This album is like a conduit for the transfer of a lot of cool ideas as a blueprint for the future.  I've always loved this album.  I like the nonstop jam quality to it too.  I love it when I can hear the No Wave touches in this album.  It's delicious to me because that's like a spice and when it's added to other things it really shows its value.  There's a Space Rock aspect to this album too which is cool.

Thurston Moore – guitar, vocals
Kim Gordon – bass, guitar, vocals
Lee Ranaldo – guitar, vocals
Steve Shelley – drums

Edited by Joseph Maynor

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

Released in 1973.  One of my favorite albums.  You can tell this album had a huge influence on Indie Rock/Alternative Rock/Noise Rock, etc.  This is a mature Krautrock album and builds off all the influences in Krautrock as well as Faust's own albums.  Top shelf.  Sonic Youth definitely listened to this album and liked it!  I like the focus on theme or motif in this album.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1972.  One of my favorite albums.  This is one of the best Krautrock albums in my opinion.  I wonder if Godspeed You! listened to this album because it kinda seems like it.  I like how dark this album is.  It's dark.  It's dark and good.  I can hear influences from this album all over Post Rock.  This is also a very early Electronica album that's also effing good to boot!  I like how composed this album is.  It's like a Classical album in that way.  It's almost like a 20th Century Classical Music album but it can't be because it's so far out that it uses things that nobody would consider Classical Music.  It's far out there but also very integrous in its use of musical principles, especially those of composition.  It's beautifully composed like a symphony.  Every note has its place as an individual and also works to create the whole.  This is kinda like a Post Rock album way before its time.  You can't really pigeonhole this album into one neat category.  This album is strong both as an individual and as part of the collective.  The forward motion of this album is what makes it kind of a Rock album.  It moves forward in a linear way like Rock.  It has a forward motion.  It's not just suspended in crazytown, it's going somewhere.  Nothing wrong with being suspended in crazytown, there are albums for that too which are great.  Most great albums have a forward motion to them too.  We want that.  That's the Masculine.  A good trip/story (narrative)/artwork has a beginning, middle, and end, and then cut and print!

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1971.  This album is way out there but also good.  Even though it's a bit cray-cray if you can come to appreciate it, good for you.  it's one of my favorite albums.  It took me a while to get into this album.  This is not a Pop album, obviously.  I love it though!  This is one of the best Krautrock albums in my opinion.  I can tell Sonic Youth appreciated this album.  Top shelf.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 2004.  One of my favorite albums.  On vinyl to boot!  One of the best Post Rock albums in my opinion.  For a long time this album wasn't available on YouTube.  It carries its outside influences but Tortoise also integrates its own albums too.  This album is both very original and very integrous.  I love the Jazz Fusion influence.  This album sounds several years ahead of its time to me.  It sounds like a later stage Post Rock album than a mid-stage Post Rock album that it is.  I think album is kinda underrated too.  I like the incorporation of call and response in this album.  This album reminds of me of some of Frank Zappa's stuff at times, I can hear points of similarity at times.  It's both way out there and also has a forward motion like Rock.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 2009.  One of my favorite albums.  This album is very integrous and also very original.  One of the great Post Rock albums in my opinion.  Post Metal might be a better term than Post Rock for this album, although these words can cause a division where there shouldn't be one too.  It's all part of the Post Rock genre, movement, framework, set of tropes.  One of my favorite album covers too.  There's a lot of cool integration of Heavy Metal on this album.  This album sounds somewhat ahead of its time to me in terms of Post Rock albums.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 2006.  One of my favorite albums.  This album is very integrous and very original and had a huge influence on Post Rock albums that case after it.  You can see how "Geneva (2009)" by Russian Circles is influenced by this album.  Top shelf.  I like how minimalistic this album is.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 2002.  One of my favorite albums.  You can tell this album had a huge influence on the Post Rock albums that came after it.  Top shelf.  I like how stripped down this album is.  You can see a lot of later Post Rock albums adding to the ideas of this album.   

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 2000.  One of my favorite albums.  I think this is one of the best Post Rock albums.  You can tell this album had a huge influence on albums that came after it.  I love the album cover too.  I can see how this album influenced "Another Language (2014)" by This Will Destroy You.  I like how beautifully and meticulously composed this album is -- it's got a Classical Music Influence to it.

Edited by Joseph Maynor