Music

MazE

Released in 1991.  One of my favorite albums.  This album is next level.  One of the first Post Rock albums.  This album is super integrous and super original too.  One of those blueprint albums in the sense that this aesthetic and approach created (helped to create) a whole new genre of music.  It's an Art Rock album in that way.  Art Rock albums usually present a novel aesthetic.  It's so Art Rock it's Post Rock before there was Post Rock.  You can hear influences from Jazz, Musique Concrete, Drone, 20th Century Classical Music, Rock, Noise Rock, Electronic Music, Minimalist Music, Psychedelic Music, etc.  It even has a kind of Shoegaze sound to it too.   It's got textures in counterpoint.  What's cool about this album too is it's pleasing to the mind, heart, and body. This is one of those healing albums.  So it's got a kind of New Age quality to it as well.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1985.  One of my favorite albums.  Nice and loud and on vinyl too.  It reminds me of the Beatles in a lot of ways.  One of the great Shoegaze albums.  Definitely meets the criterion to be an Art Rock album.  This is also a Post Punk album.  A blueprint album for sure.  Very integrous and also very original.  I can hear Nirvana's "Nevermind (1991)" kinda come out of this album.  I love Nevermind so don't think I'm disparaging that great album.  I just hear lots of influences in music.  I've been listening to these albums for 20-30 years.  Top shelf album and a great version of it too on vinyl nice and loud!  Dissonance never sounded so good.  It's gives a nod to No Wave (don't confuse with New Wave)  in that sense.  Noise Rock, etc.  It's also kind of a Psychedelic Rock album too.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1988.  One of my favorite albums.  This album is just as good as Laughing Stock but came out 3 years earlier.  I kinda consider this album and Laughing Stock as part of the same sessions in my own mind.  Lightning in a bottle album.  I can't tell whether I like this album or Laughing Stock more.  They're different but both excellent.   This album is a little more linear and Laughing Stock is a little more out there.  Both are excellent in conjunction.  I think of the two albums as a double-album almost.   After listening to both, personally I like Laughing Stock a tiny bit more.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1986.  This remaster is great!  Nice and loud too.  One of my favorite albums.  I can hear an Asia (the band) influence on this album (see below).   Somewhere In Time has that "guitar synth" keyboard sound.  Asia is more straight keyboards.   I love the rhythm guitar stylings on the title track where Steve Harris almost playing the rhythm guitar role on bass.   This album is top shelf.

Released in 1982.  Another one of my favorite albums.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1981.  One of my favorite albums.  On vinyl to boot.  You can appreciate the birth of New Wave out of its influences on this album.  The title track 'The Garden' at the end is amazing.  It has a lot of Progressive Rock touches and is very integrous.  This album is top shelf.

Edited by Joseph Maynor