Music

MazE

Released in 1979.  One of my favorite albums.  One of the early great Post Punk/New Wave albums.  This album is so ahead of its time like a few other albums that came out around this time are.  This album and Ultravox's "Systems of Romance (1978)" are early New Wave albums.  There's a point where New Wave emerges out of Post Punk.   This is right when they are still kinda together.  I like how this album leans with a Post Punk edge to it though.  This is one of those blueprint albums that had a wide influence on a lot of bands and albums that came after it.  I can hear Jane's Addiction kind of come out of this album too.  Sonic Youth.  Noise Rock.  Late 80's Alternative Rock.  Lots of stuff.  Nirvana was heavily influenced by Post Punk.  The Jesus and Mary Chain listened to this album too I'm almost sure of it, and they really liked it too!

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1988. One of my favorite albums. This album is super-integrous and also super-original. This is an Art Rock album in my opinion. One of the Late 80's Alternative Rock albums. This was a kind of renaissance era of its own. There are flowering of great music at this time that originated with the influence of Post Punk and Heavy Metal. I can hear a Rush influence here too. Top shelf. Excellent musicianship like Rush too. Dave Navarro is one of my favorite guitar players/stylists. He's next level. You can appreciate the taking influences vs./and being original duality (wobble) in music. There's an admixture there (some kind of negotiation or marriage) in the best albums. I can hear a Police influence on this album too. Awesome!  I like that Funk Rock element I hear sometimes.  Reminds me of The Police's integration of Reggae/Dub.  Similar but different.  Top shelf.  

Perry Farrell – vocals, keyboards
Dave Navarro - rhythm and lead guitar
Eric Avery – bass
Stephen Perkins – drums, percussion

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1991. One of my favorite albums.  This album is still Rock in my opinion but it had a huge influence on Post Rock.  I consider this to be an Alternative Rock album.  Post Rock took a lot of influence from this album.  It's one of those blueprint albums.  This is definitely an Art Rock album.  Top shelf.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1970.  This is a Krautrock album that had a huge influence on Post Rock.  One of my favorite albums.  This album is so ahead of its time it's not even funny.   Top shelf.  It's a little more PC to call Krautrock German Progressive Rock.  But Krautrock is the word used to denote a genre of music with a certain degree of clarity so that's why I use it.  This album is super-integrous and also super-original.  Definitely an Art Rock album.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 2014.  One of my favorite albums.  Post Rock masterpiece.  This is the late era in Post Rock around this time.  This and "Departure Songs (2015)" are excellent very mature Post Rock albums that take from the whole Post Rock period and are also excellent and original too.  Post Rock is a genre in that it has its motifs like any other genre.  It's much more integrous than Rock, but it still has a Rock edge to it.  These late stage Post Rock albums are really a treat.  Incredible dynamics.  I can hear a Sigur Ros and Mono influence on this album.  I appreciate the brevity of the parts in this album.  It's like little nuggets stringed together but linked too.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 2000.  One of my favorite albums.  One of the best Post Rock albums in my opinion.  I can hear a Popol Vuh influence on this album.  This album is so integrous it's not even funny.  Integrous and original in equal measure.  That's what we want sometimes in art.  I like how they play with theme and variation on this album.  I like the Classical Music influence on this album.  Top shelf.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

4 hours ago, Phil said:

@Joseph Maynor

I’ve read all your album reviews and I always enjoy em and relate. Appreciate it. 

If you haven’t already, love to hear your thoughts on Pearl Jam’s Ten. 

Nice!  I'll listen to it tonight and write the review.  That's a great album.  I like "Vs." a lot too.  It's interesting how Grunge albums evolved over time.  I love Grunge.  It's like the last great period of Rock where Rock was in the mainstream.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1991.  I haven't listened to this album in a long time but I will now.  When this album and Nirvana's "Nevermind" came out in 1991 they changed the direction of Rock music almost overnight.  Pearl Jam switched drummers on their next album "Vs." I forgot that.  Jeff Ament is one of my favorite bass players.  That tone!  This remaster brings out the mids a bit more.  I like that.  Stone Gossard is one of my favorite rhythm guitar players.  I like Mike McCready too, he has that Hendrix touch to his lines.  I can hear some Indie Rock influence here but these guys are drawing from a different set of influences or this album is quite original.  I can hear some Hendrix influence at points.  I like the Heavy Metal influence too.  I've always liked the song "Black".  "Jeremy" is a lightning in a bottle song.  I can hear a little Led Zeppelin influence in "Oceans".  For some reason I can hear Soundgarden in "Oceans" too.  This album sounds like an Indie Rock album to me.  It's one of the groundbreaking Grunge albums.  It's very original.  It's got that dark Black Sabbathy bottom to it though, largely due Jeff Ament's bass playing and tone.  I can hear a Noise Rock touch every once in a while, that's cool.  This is a very integrous album -- integrous and original in equal measure.  "Deep" is a cool song.  The bonus tracks start with "Brother":  You can really hear Mike McCready's lead guitar style on "Brother".   I like that vibrato that he has in his tone.  He's a stylist and has an almost Post Rock integrous style as a lead guitar player.  The bonus tracks are very good!  I forgot how much I love this album, I think I burned it out and had to wait a long time to listen to it again.  "Breath and a Scream" is also great for appreciating Mike McCready.  I can hear a very remote Post Punk influence.  It's definitely one of the Indie Rock, Alternative Rock albums, but opening up a new space which would become Grunge.  I appreciate the versatility of Dave Krusen as a drummer/percussionist on this album.   

Eddie Vedder – vocals
Mike McCready – rhythm and lead guitar
Stone Gossard – rhythm guitar
Jeff Ament – bass 
Dave Krusen – drums

Edited by Joseph Maynor