Music

MazE

Released in 1990.  This album is nice and progressive but also catchy.  The drums sound a little clearer in this remastered version.  Steve Harris' bass is turned down on this album and he plays more in the background which is a difference from earlier Maiden albums.   Excellent lead guitar all over this album.  This is kind of a progressive metal album that rivals other progressive heavy metal albums that came out right at this point - 1987-1990.  

Bruce Dickinson – lead vocals
Janick Gers – rhythm and lead guitar
Dave Murray - rhythm and lead guitar
Steve Harris – bass, backing vocals
Nicko McBrain – drums

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1991.  Criminally underrated album IMO.  Metallica obviously was influenced by this album on their Load and Reload phase.  I like the Space Rock component.  Kinda reminds me of Hawkwind or early Motorhead.  But there's an aesthetic on this album.  Call it an art rock album if you must.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1984.  Nice and loud and a good remaster.  Timi Hansen is an amazing bass player.   It's interesting to compare this album to their first album "Melissa (1983)" which is excellent too.   The guitar on this album is next level - rhythmically and lead.  I like the complexity in the forms of the songs.  This is a complex, progressive heavy metal album kind of ahead of its time.  

King Diamond - vocals, keyboards, harpsichord
Hank Shermann - rhythm and lead guitar
Michael Denner - rhythm and lead guitar
Timi Hansen - bass
Kim Ruzz - drums

//

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA40M-e_GqY

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1972.  Nice and loud!  Best version of this album I've ever heard.  One of the most influential Heavy Rock bands of all time.  I like how Jon Lord picks up a lot of what we typically hear as rhythm guitar duties.  It's so fun to listen to.  Kinda like listening to The Doors.  These guys are next level -- a supergroup in this period.  The heavy metal godfather triad is (sort of/kind of) Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple.  

Ian Gillan - vocals
Ritchie Blackmore – rhythm and lead guitar
Jon Lord – keyboards, organ, piano
Roger Glover – bass
Ian Paice – drums

//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1977.  I'm just now exploring this album.  This album is a change in direction from what they were doing before this.  It's a reinvention album.  It's experimental, exploratory, progressive.  It's cool how they integrate some of their prior sounds in.  I like the Hard Funk influence.  The production/engineering is good too.  The 4 albums before this one are all in my favorite albums of all time.  This album was harder for me to get into.  I'm still not sure what I feel or think about it.  It's a little more laid back, simpler, and less guitar heavy.

Phil Lynott – bass, keyboards,  lead vocals
Scott Gorham – rhythm and lead guitar, backing vocals
Brian Robertson – rhythm and lead guitar
Brian Downey – drums

//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1996.  This is a good album IMO.  Stone Temple Pilots were a good band.  Billy Corgan said he really likes this album.  I like the 60's pop sounds in it.  E.g. 'Lady Picture Show'.  I like the bass playing on this album.   Very integrous in terms of musical ideas.

Scott Weiland – vocals
Dean DeLeo – rhythm and lead guitar
Robert DeLeo – bass
Eric Kretz – drums

Edited by Joseph Maynor

It's amazing how much sadness Bob Dylan can have in his voice.  Lightning in a bottle album.  Jerry Garcia is on fire on this album.   This album was never officially released but covers the brief time Bob Dylan and the Grateful Dead collaborated together and went on tour together in 1987.  It's Bob Dylan being backed up by The Grateful Dead!  This is crazy good.

Bob Dylan - lead vocals, acoustic guitar

Backing Band -- The Grateful Dead:
-Jerry Garcia - rhythm and lead guitar, backing vocals
-Bob Weir - rhythm guitar, backing vocals
-Brent Mydland - keyboards, backing vocals
-Phil Lesh - bass, backing vocals
-Bill Kreutzmann - drums

//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I've been a Jethro Tull fan for years now. Long ago I was just kinda snooping through my uncle's (kind of a cool guy) records at my grandmother's place and the Aqualung album caught my eye. Listened it through some old-school audio system and it was love by first 'hear'.

This is from one if their best albums. Just... Awesome. Such gifted musicians. This sound reminds me of winter time / christmas.

There must be an effortless way.