Music

MazE

Released in 2003.  One of my favorite albums.  I remember when this album first clicked for me.  I think it's one of the best Post Rock albums.  It's interesting to compare this album to their first album "How Strange, Innocence (2000)" above.  I appreciate how gorgeous this album is at points.  It's beautiful.  I like how intricately composed this album is.  It's got a Classical Music aspect to it with the tight composition.  I like the harmonies on this album too, including the use of dissonance.  Top shelf.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 2009.  One of my favorite albums.  This album is very mature in the Post Rock genre.  Top shelf.  So integrous and so original.  Very beautiful too.  Great use of melody and working around that melody like a theme.   This album follows "You Are There (2006)" which is posted above.  It's amazing (but maybe somewhat predictable too) they did these two masterpiece albums back to back.  This album is more stretched out and nuanced than the prior album, more loose and also more tender.  A little more Feminine, but also a lot more composed too which is Masculine.  It's a change in direction that a lot of people appreciate.  A lot of people like this album.  I can see why and I love it too.  Notice the integration of all the Post Rock motifs in this album.  That's why I say it's mature in the genre.  I love how the beauty of Classical Music is also captured in this album -- not the technical side but the tender side.  Classical Music has a tender side to it as well as a technical side.

Released in 2007.  One of my favorite albums.  I think this is one of the best Post Rock albums.   I love the melodic counterpoint in this album and the Classical Music influence.  There's also a cool Progressive Rock influence on this album to appreciate too.  Top shelf.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1977.  One of my favorite albums.  This album has an aesthetic that you can hear in Post Rock.  I think it was influential on Post Rock.  This is the remastered version with some bonus stuff too that's top shelf.  I like the symphonic structure.  It reminds me of Classical Music but in a different language.  It's beautiful.  It's got a kind of melancholic but brilliant aesthetic to it that you hear in Post Rock too.  It's got an encompassing feel to it like it's wrapping you up, enveloping you in a tunnel blanket.  It's amazing how good this remaster is in terms of sound quality!  I still vaguely remember when this album first clicked for me.  That was a good day.  I like how it's got a linear, forward movement to it like Rock.  Oh yeah, and it's Electronica too.  I think a lot of Post Rock was about integrating what's going on with this album with organic musical instruments, with Rock, and with other Post Rock cliches/motifs/ideas that were developed that you can hear on the Post Rock albums.  The tracks after 1' 17'' 21'' at the end are not Klaus Schulze but are really good.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 2001.  One of my favorite albums.  Kind of a challenging album but also linear too.  It wobbles that duality.  I consider this a Post Rock album but it takes from lots of influences.  It's almost not a Post Rock album too.  It's just really good.  It's kind of both an Art Rock album and beyond where this term applies though too.  I can hear some The Orb and Labradford influences on this album -- both lots of influences and highly original too.  I like the Musique Concrete influence on this album.  I like the "implied music" in this album, listen for that.   Top shelf. 

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 2004.  One of my favorite albums.  One of the best Post Rock albums too in my opinion.  I like how linear this album is.  I love the keyboards and percussion on this album.  This is a very special album to me.  I like how emotional it is.  Nice wobble of the simplicity vs./and complexity duality too.  I like the melodic and epic themes over the complex percussion.  This is a very beautiful album.  Top shelf.

(This will be my last album post for a while.  I want to give the oxygen in this tread to others.  But I've been listening to all these albums I've posted and have done this journey through some music albums again.)   

Edited by Joseph Maynor

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

Released in 1999.  One of my favorite albums.   You can hear the torch being passed from Krautrock to Post Rock in this album.  Top shelf.  This is an underrated album I think.  This album doesn't really get mentioned to the extent of some of the other early Post Rock albums.  This album is very integrous and also very original.  I like the Noise Rock influence.  The Drone and Musique Concrete aspects are cool too.  The Minimalism is noted as well.  The wobbling of the Minimalism vs./and Complexity duality.   This album reminds me a lot of Fridge's album "Happiness (2001)".  See that album above.    

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1974.  One of my favorite albums.  I'll spare you all from listing the Krautrock albums I've been listening to lately, but I think you might appreciate this one.  I like the World Music influence.  I like the Pink Floyd influence, e.g., "Live at Pompeii (1972)."  This album takes it to the next level too on a level too.  It integrates a lot of Krautrock and is also highly original too.  Top shelf.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1974.  One of my favorite albums.  On vinyl too.  Wow!  This album is kinda similar to "Electric Silence (1974)" by Dzyan.  I'm pretty sure this album had an influence on Post Rock.  This is a very mature album in the Krautrock genre.  I like the buildups, which is a signature idea/trope in Post Rock.  It's got some Proto Shoegaze moments to it too.  Top shelf.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1974.  One of my favorite albums.  This is a very mature Krautrock album.  I like the Proto-New Wave, Proto-Synthpop, Proto-Post Punk (at points) Musique Concrete, Proto-Noise Rock, definite influence on Post Rock.  This album is ahead of its time in lots of ways.  It's one of those blueprint albums.  Top shelf.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1976.  One of my favorite albums.  This album definitely had an influence on Post Rock.  I like the linear aspect of this album.  It moves forward even when it stands still.  It's got that linear aspect to it like Rock.  This is a really mature Krautrock album basically.  This album sounds way ahead of its time!  You can hear a lot of Krautrock cliches integrated but there's high originality too.  This is one of those blueprint albums that influenced a lot of later musicians.  The tracks "Deep Distance," "Nightdust" -- I can kinda tell this album influenced "Another Language (2014)" by TWDY and other Post Rock albums.  You can hear all the Krautrock ideas/cliches in this album.  A little Proto-Shoegaze too in "Deep Distance".  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 2000.  One of my favorite albums.  Post Rock masterpiece.  You can hear the Krautrock influence on this album.  This album sounds ahead of its time in the Post Rock genre; like a mature Post Rock album.  I think part of the reason is this is one of those blueprint albums that influenced the Post Rock albums that came after it.  I like the Musique Concrete influence.  I like how tightly composed this album is like Classical Music.  I like the integration of Film Music too which you can hear in Post Rock generally.  I like the happy Shoegazey ending of the album too.  It works well as an ending and suggests a complete trip.  Top shelf.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1972 (recorded in 1970).  One of my favorite albums.  One of the best Krautrock albums in my opinion.  This album definitely had an influence on Post Rock.  I like the buildups.  I can hear a Pink Floyd influence on this album.  This album really integrates Pink Floyd with Krautrock.  This album sounds way ahead of its time!  This is one of those blueprint albums that influenced a lot of albums that came after it.  It sounds like a very mature Krautrock album that could have come out in 1975 or 1976.  This version seems like it's on cassette or on tape to me.  Cool!  Top shelf.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I've discovered I absolutely love smooth jazz 🤤

Released in 2001.  One of my favorite albums.  I like how heavy this album is.  I also appreciate how intricately  nuanced this album is terms of feel and dynamics.  This Mono's first album.  I like the integration of some Krautrock ideas I hear.  One of the best Post Rock albums in my opinion.  There's some implied Musique Concrete going on this album too which is cool.  This Minimalism is cool.  The Harmonies are notable and excellent.  Top shelf.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor