My thoughts of Leo and actualize.org. What do you think?

Forza21

4 minutes ago, WhiteOwl said:

Seems like it’s believed there is something behind perception/feeling. The image is of course not nothing. Can't think nothing.

Probably because it’s believed there is something behind perception / feeling. 

What not nothing?

What can’t be thunk?

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Probably because it’s believed there is something behind perception / feeling. 

What not nothing?

What can’t be thunk?

Thinking of a banana and it pops out (of nothing). 

Nothing can't be thunk. A thought can't be nothing. 

13 minutes ago, WhiteOwl said:

Thinking of a banana and it pops out (of nothing). 

Nothing can't be thunk. A thought can't be nothing. 

Is there someone thinking though. 

Are you saying i am just the awareness aware of the appearance of the "thought" banana. Do i have influence that its happening? Sounds like free will questioning

1 hour ago, WhiteOwl said:

A thought can't be nothing. 

Ever seen one?

Is there someone thinking though. 

Is there someone thinking, about if there is someone thinking? 

Are you saying i am just the awareness aware of the appearance of the "thought" banana.

Is awareness aware of something which is you? 

Do i have influence that its happening? Sounds like free will questioning

What’s happening? 

20 minutes ago, Phil said:

Ever seen one?

Ever seen a thought? I mean they are appearing. You mention in one of your videos that thoughts don't exist. Is this what you mean. Can you elaborate?

21 minutes ago, Phil said:

Is there someone thinking, about if there is someone thinking? 

There is the thought "Is there someone thinking, about if there is someone thinking".

22 minutes ago, Phil said:

Is awareness aware of something which is you? 

Nope. That wouldn't be me then.

23 minutes ago, Phil said:

What’s happening?

Twisting "my" fingers for example. Or anything else. Going to make a tea which i will do now. Am "i" not doing it? I don't know how i would be doing it though.

10 minutes ago, WhiteOwl said:

Ever seen a thought? I mean they are appearing. You mention in one of your videos that thoughts don't exist. Is this what you mean. Can you elaborate?

Whatever is found in direct experience to be appearing is therein, appearance, yes?

20 minutes ago, WhiteOwl said:

Twisting "my" fingers for example. Or anything else. Going to make a tea which i will do now. Am "i" not doing it? I don't know how i would be doing it though.

Is I doing it found in perception, or appearing as thoughts? 

17 minutes ago, Phil said:

Whatever is found in direct experience to be appearing is therein, appearance, yes?

yes?

17 minutes ago, Phil said:

Is I doing it found in perception, or appearing as thoughts? 

In thoughts..

8 hours ago, James123 said:

So what about if you never learned what expericing is ? Will it be real?

You can't learn what experiencing is, you can only experience it. Just like you can't learn what vanilla tastes like, or what music sounds like. Learning happens in experience, it is not inherent to experience. "Real" and "unreal" is also something learned. it is a distinction that the mind makes. Putting a label of "real" and "unreal" would be an attempt at learning experience. You can learn things, but only things, experience is not a "thing."

Describe a thought.

9 hours ago, Enlightened Cat said:

You can't learn what experiencing is, you can only experience it. Just like you can't learn what vanilla tastes like, or what music sounds like. Learning happens in experience, it is not inherent to experience. "Real" and "unreal" is also something learned. it is a distinction that the mind makes. Putting a label of "real" and "unreal" would be an attempt at learning experience. You can learn things, but only things, experience is not a "thing."

So what is it? What's a even a "thing"?

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

1 hour ago, James123 said:

So what is it? What's a even a "thing"?

It is a distinction made from imagination. Like how words in a book cause you to imagine a story. The word "thing" causes you to imagine the concept of a "thing." Words are symbols which cause you to imagine a distinction. When you say "a table" it causes you to imagine a table, it creates that distinction in your imagination. A "thing" is just imagination, including the idea of a "thing."

Something interesting happens with self-image or the ego, where by creating a separation in identity, such as "a human", it causes you to start separating everything around you as well. Since you believe yourself to be a human, you now simultaneously believe yourself to be living in a world of many other distinctions as well. A human exists relative to other things, therefore you must constantly imagine other things to keep the identity going.

Edited by Enlightened Cat

Describe a thought.

Interesting post from Razard86 on Leo's forum.  I like his original insights where he deviates from Leo's teachings.  It's ok to be original in spirituality, in fact it's required on some level.  You want to be highly integrous and also highly original.  I don't want to agree with you ideally if you're doing good work.  The fact that we differ shows you're doing the work for yourself.  You're creating your own spirituality.  You're becoming an original and good creator -- that's what I promote.  Copy for awhile but eventually you will learn to play.  You will find your own voice.  

I like this quote: "For one to achieve mastery at anything they must discover a romantic love for the task. Through this romance, daily dedication will become a natural occurrence, and a flowering of a deep depth of understanding will occur which will create a deeper understanding of not just the task but how it interconnects with life on a grander scale. " -- Razard86

This quote too is good: "Through Self-Mastery Perfect Beauty is realized." (Id.)

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/98996-had-another-awakening-recently/

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Be careful with falling in love with the sound of your own voice and thinking you're the only one here.  Because when you decide to relate, that premise is no longer true anyway.  You have to be able and willing to listen to others and try to relate with them on their own terms.  If you don't want to do that, that shows me you're kind of a solipsist and you shut off and shut down the other even though you also do relating, which is the problem.  You're not an expert for me, just as you would take ready offense to me if I presumed the same toward you.  So you think your voice should be taken over mine?  How presumptuous is that?  There's a few different ways we can interpret that.  You're the guru not just for you but for everyone else?  Wow.  How does one hold that together sustainably?  To ask this question is to answer it.  You gotta be willing to control other people's minds and put yourself and your own perspective on a pedestal.  You gotta be willing to do this socially.

1 hour ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Myself.  But I also felt like it was appropriate to share this insight as it also applies generally from my point of view and is relevant to this thread.

Do you think you'll take your own advice when it's always phrased in a way that's projected outward? 

On 1/27/2024 at 5:05 PM, Jonas Long said:

Do you think you'll take your own advice when it's always phrased in a way that's projected outward? 

I'm always talking to and watching myself primarily.  Everything I do is basically working on self-help.  I wouldn't waste my time otherwise.  It's like watching myself in a mirror.  I'm always seeing how I feel as these conversations take place.  Then I'm noting when my reactions stay the same and when they change and how I feel about that.  Feeling is key for me but it needs something to go off.  I know through feeling -- something more like intuition or what some call Third Eye.  I have to observe myself to gain those intuitions.  It's self-awareness work basically.

Edited by Joseph Maynor