How much can you know about yourself if you've never been in a fight?

WhiteOwl

I always feel jealousy towards friends or people who have been into fights. Fighting is such a primal drive and i think there is a deep rooted fear in many people, especially guys, about being confronted. 

Like the fight club movie says "How much can you know about yourself if you've never been in a fight?"

I think there is a lot of growth in seeing your reaction in a situation like that with another person. Guy in my case. I just kinda don't want to risk some stupid injury or something, but the body is capable of more than you think.

What do you guys think about this?

Would you have these beliefs and thoughts about fighting if women didn't exist?

Is this based on a belief that winning another man in fight is something that is required in order to experience true love from a woman?

This is what came in mind first.

There must be an effortless way.

10 hours ago, Blessed2 said:

Would you have these beliefs and thoughts about fighting if women didn't exist?

Is this based on a belief that winning another man in fight is something that is required in order to experience true love from a woman?

If you go very deeply maybe everything has to do with that. Overcoming yourself to find a woman, i don't know, but not in the way you ask i think. 

Its also not about winning, its about exploring the uncomfortable emotions that comes up in a confrontation like that. As with every other strong reaction and emotion i guess there is just as huge potential for growth here.

10 hours ago, Reena said:

Join some karate club to do mock fights.

I did do BJJ for a little while and loved it. It doesn't give exactly the same though when its arranged on in a club. Not much different from playing football or whatever.

15 hours ago, WhiteOwl said:

I always feel jealousy towards friends or people who have been into fights. Fighting is such a primal drive and i think there is a deep rooted fear in many people, especially guys, about being confronted. 

Like the fight club movie says "How much can you know about yourself if you've never been in a fight?"

I think there is a lot of growth in seeing your reaction in a situation like that with another person. Guy in my case. I just kinda don't want to risk some stupid injury or something, but the body is capable of more than you think.

What do you guys think about this?

I would take it a step further and say "How much can you know about yourself if you have never LOST a fight?" I'm talking about getting absolutely twatted here.

It teaches you the reality of the world, that there are situations where control can be completely taken away from you, and you are powerless to do anything about it. It humbles you, you realize you are not invincible, and you will learn not to do whatever got you into that situation in the first place. Perhaps it will motivate you not to be the guy on the bottom lying in a pool of his own blood, so you will seek out appropriate training to prevent that.

Its not a pleasant experience, but it is a valuable one.

My YouTube channel - Adeptus Psychonautica

10 minutes ago, Adeptus Psychonautica said:

I would take it a step further and say "How much can you know about yourself if you have never LOST a fight?" I'm talking about getting absolutely twatted here.

I don't see it about winning or losing. I wouldn't want to beat up anyone for real.

But just getting to see how you react and get more comfortable with it will put you in a different place dealing with men in particular, as there is that unknown aspect of not knowing how you will react or what you are capable of in case something happens. And that could prevent some communication etc

10 minutes ago, Adeptus Psychonautica said:

Its not a pleasant experience, but it is a valuable one.

Would you also say that to a rape victim? Better not to lose complete control in some cases i would imagine. 

Edited by WhiteOwl

11 minutes ago, Jonas Long said:

Just infect yourself with aids.  How much can you know about yourself if you've never been infected with aids? 

I dont really fear getting aids. Its not something i ever think about or something that influences any behaviour. 

13 minutes ago, Jonas Long said:

So funny how everyone still totally misses the point of that movie.

Where do you read anything about the point of the movie?

I quoted one phrase being said in the movie, which most people know thats why it was used for the topic.

I find this hard to wrap my head around, except for wanting to get involved in martial arts or some sort of sport. In my experience there's few turn offs like having someone get into a fight over you because it displays reactivity, aggression, scarcity thinking and also reveals that you're being viewed as a possession or a thing to be owned. 

Youtube Channel  

3 minutes ago, Mandy said:

I find this hard to wrap my head around, except for wanting to get involved in martial arts or some sort of sport. In my experience there's few turn offs like having someone get into a fight over you because it displays reactivity, aggression, scarcity thinking and also reveals that you're being viewed as a possession or a thing to be owned. 

Its not fighting over anyone or for something. Its more exploring what arises in a situation like that. People i know that have been into many fight seem to have some sort of confidence in themselves.

@MandyIts the same as doing uncomfortable things in public. Its to confront a hidden fear.

Edited by WhiteOwl

3 minutes ago, WhiteOwl said:

Its not fighting over anyone or for something. Its more exploring what arises in a situation like that. People i know that have been into many fight seem to have some sort of confidence in themselves.

Ok, sure, but is that really what you want? Putin has a lot of confidence. 

Youtube Channel  

5 minutes ago, WhiteOwl said:

I dont really fear getting aids. Its not something i ever think about or something that influences any behaviour. 

Where do you read anything about the point of the movie?

I quoted one phrase being said in the movie, which most people know thats why it was used for the topic.

The line is said by Tyler Durden at the start of the movie when the audience is meant to think he's cool.  By the end, it's clear he's been a delusional d bag, and we understand the line was said by someone you shouldn't want to to emulate.

But @Reena gave the best answer really, a class like that would be the way to do it.

43 minutes ago, WhiteOwl said:

I don't see it about winning or losing. I wouldn't want to beat up anyone for real.

The point I am making has nothing to do with winning or whether you want to beat people up. Its specifically about losing

33 minutes ago, WhiteOwl said:

Would you also say that to a rape victim? Better not to lose complete control in some cases i would imagine. 

No I would not say that being raped (I can only assume this is what you are talking about) as being beneficial to a rape victim, but I also don't equate being on the losing side of a fist fight with being raped. So while I get you were extrapolating the "loss of control" part into an extreme, its such an extreme that it changes the scope of the conversation.

My YouTube channel - Adeptus Psychonautica

I think you made it a bit extreme, and not something i would imagine people in general neccesarily would benefi from. In the same way rape doesn't. 

1 hour ago, Adeptus Psychonautica said:

I'm talking about getting absolutely twatted here.

1 hour ago, Adeptus Psychonautica said:

lying in a pool of his own blood

Anyways thanks for sharing your viewpoint.