When will it end?

noomii

1 hour ago, Devin said:

Yeah that's some b.s. new age idea going around, "love your work", you'll never find work you love, you may find love for your work though. It doesn't matter what you do. This idea going around has so many young people screwed up though.

How is it a new age belief? What is "new age", what makes a belief new age? Would you not encourage people to do what they love? 

Youtube Channel  

21 hours ago, Blessed2 said:

I battle with similar thoughts, beliefs and emotions, but what came to mind about this is that it kind of feels discordant to think that the good feeling / meaning comes from the work / carreer one has, rather than me being the source of the good feeling, regardless of what the work is.

Like... I've been trying to find "my thing" for years now. You know, like some people seem to have "their thing" like music, writing, sports, even math, technology or something like that. And often it seems like people even do "their thing" for living. I'd like for it all to be "easy" like that. To just have some kind of interest or a passion that I truly enjoy doing and maybe could even make it into a carreer.

But the more I try to find it, the more difficult and heavy it all becomes. I guess in other words, this way of approach just hasn't been working very well.

So maybe I could try something new... To see if the good feeling, meaning and passion wasn't in any specific activity / carreer, but in me. This approach seems a lot better, since if it's in me, if I'm the source, there is never shortage or lack.

Appreciate you for sharing. 

This made me feel some relief from the pressure to find what I want to work with.

Pessimism or discouragement is still felt, about how "I expect myself to suffer even though I'm the source of good feeling."

On 11/14/2023 at 5:23 PM, Mandy said:

How is it a new age belief? What is "new age", what makes a belief new age? Would you not encourage people to do what they love? 

The old way was just find the highest paying gig you can get.

It's new.

No, it's bs. Live a life you love, career shouldn't take away from your life but it shouldn't be the source of your happiness, no, that's like saying only do the chores you love.

Edited by Devin

5 hours ago, Devin said:

it shouldn't be the source of your happiness

I agree with that, but you can create the most unlikely kick ass career and it will often be more successful than anything "reasonable" that you can think of or think other people will think is sensible and smart. Lack of allowing imagination or a need for an immediate, promised payoff is what might get in the way. 

But yeah love what you do, do what you love, not different things. 

Youtube Channel  

1 hour ago, Mandy said:

I agree with that, but you can create the most unlikely kick ass career and it will often be more successful than anything "reasonable" that you can think of or think other people will think is sensible and smart. Lack of allowing imagination or a need for an immediate, promised payoff is what might get in the way. 

But yeah love what you do, do what you love, not different things. 

Yeah, but most people are not career centric and actually only care about what they do for a living because they've been conditioned to.

It seems most people would be happier if they just found a good group to work with doing literally whatever, and then taking care of the basics in life more rather than fostering an aspiring career. Focus on diet and lifestyle, career is just toting water and chopping firewood, doesn't matter whether you're doing it on a unicycle or in a porsche.

What really matters what anyone makes? It's all just dust.

Edited by Devin

This is what I call work in the human Masculine.  It's all the Tony Robbins Stage Orange self-help stuff.  Getting you to become personally responsible to cause the effects you need for your life and then some.  To go from stuck to active is a long process.  It's one small change after one small change over a period of time.  Habits can be changed but it requires personal leadership and commitment.  You need to take control of your life.  That's the Masculine.  I call this work in the human Masculine genre of development work.  You gotta take care of you and create you from a place of abundance from a human and well as a Divine perspective.  IMHO of course.  This is just me sharing something I think is valuable to consider.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

17 minutes ago, Mandy said:

@Devin Yeah, I'm not suggesting to make money the motivating factor, just that a lot of people seem to believe that they can't be successful in creative or unusual careers. It's easier than ever. 

But do you see how that subliminally says 'what you do matters'? Like, "don't do a boring job". It's bs to me, I could have the time of my life flipping plain tasteless burgers for 50 years, try to have fun with your coworkers and customers, work part time do yoga and park meditation 2 hours a day, whatever.

Edited by Devin

This discussion reminds me of something else I often like telling people. In America strangers ask what you do for a living, in western Europe they don't, conversationalists say it is a terrible question and I concur, it puts peoples guard up thinking whether the other person doesn't respect them or 'I'm better than them'.

Edited by Devin

On 11/15/2023 at 2:30 AM, Devin said:

Yeah that's some b.s. new age idea going around, "love your work", you'll never find work you love, you may find love for your work though. It doesn't matter what you do. This idea going around has so many young people screwed up though.

I agree with this. Finally some practical brains. 

So basically I'm an autistic INFJ BPD sigma Pisces female with anger and CPTSD issues. Wow wow. 

My plate looks full. I Couldn't have been weirder than that. Now I get why I'm so idiosyncratic. 

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

@Devin

If it doesn’t matter what you do… but don’t love your work…?

What would be an example? An environmentally conscious person working for an oil company, working in a toxic workplace, of course leave that.

To me it comes off as "ohhh, don't mess up and choose the wrong career, choose the right one! What matters most to you?" Which just puts young people into analysis paralysis and doubt.

Like take spiritual meme for example, he works software, got in with a toxic company, and Is now considering being a yoga instructor instead. He obviously has software interest and passion, but that seed of doubt planted makes him think the issue is his compatability with software and not his company. If you go through college for some profession there's enough "love" there. 

If you follow that you will always be seeking "love" from your career and never get it.

You guys watch the office? They sell printer paper, would you work there? Is it because your heart is set on selling paper?

What work might someone not love?