It feels good to be conscious

Someone here

1 minute ago, Someone here said:

Love this 💓

💙 that is the greatest teacher. Being. 

Really give it a shot man, it is the opposite of getting entangled in thought. 

If you have the time, just do it right now and let us know how it goes. Just sit wherever in whatever seated position that's comfortable and just feel the body and sounds and disidentify from thought.

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture

1 minute ago, Orb said:

💙 that is the greatest teacher. Being. 

Really give it a shot man, it is the opposite of getting entangled in thought. 

If you have the time, just do it right now and let us know how it goes. Just sit wherever in whatever seated position that's comfortable and just feel the body and sounds and disidentify from thought.

I get it . But the thing is you can't function without thoughts . You might succeed in silencing your mind during meditation..but what  about the rest of the day when you are not meditating ? 

I also have a passion about philosophizing. I like philosophy. I like to question everything.....aren't you innately curious about what the hell is happening here (what reality is ?where we came from? What happens when we die ?)  And that kind of stuff .

7 minutes ago, Someone here said:

I get it . But the thing is you can't function without thoughts . You might succeed in silencing your mind during meditation..but what  about the rest of the day when you are not meditating ? 

I also have a passion about philosophizing. I like philosophy. I like to question everything.....aren't you innately curious about what the hell is happening here (what reality is ?where we came from? What happens when we die ?)  And that kind of stuff .

How your billion of billion molecules in your body without thoughts? You are in control? 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

1 minute ago, Someone here said:

This is deflection. No one is saying that the "goal" is to not think, keyword: disidentify, not stop thoughts from arising. 

Again, no one is saying to sit down and stop thoughts from arising. Notice how the separate self is making excusing and twisting what's being said to avoid being inspected and therefore seen as an illusion.

10 minutes ago, Someone here said:

And knowledge will solve this "problem" For you?

You think a conceptual answer will somehow end the questions?

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture

14 minutes ago, Someone here said:

But the thing is you can't function without thoughts . You might succeed in silencing your mind during meditation..but what  about the rest of the day when you are not meditating ? 

This is thoughts about having no thoughts. Not the "actual experience".

Btw, if focusing on breathing etc. seem overwhelming, try silent mantra meditation. It has been really helpful for me. Basically, sit comfortably and repeat silently without making a sound a mantra with no meaning. Like for example, "domy". Just a simple word with no meaning. Keep repeating it over and over. That's all. Try for ten minutes today.

There must be an effortless way.

On 10/29/2023 at 4:03 AM, Someone here said:

And that's where you are downright wrong . Enlightenment is a state of consciousness.  There is a difference between a homeless cocaine addict and gautama Buddha...

There's no need to say I'm downright wrong.  You shared something.  I shared something.  We haven't met.  There's no way you could know that I'm downright wrong.  Why does someone need to be downright wrong anyway?  We're just sharing words here.  Words are not going to solve the issue of enlightenment anyway.  I was challenging you to think differently and you refused and dismissed me.  I'm not dismissing what you said, except for the overconfident dismissal of me.  Actually, you need no words to be enlightened.  All we're doing is engaging in pointers and some are in a loop of wasting a lot of time arguing about pointers as if they're truth.  It was cool to see your reaction to what I said though.  Be careful about dismissing what others are saying in good faith.  Try to see their point of view charitably in the first instance.  Not everyone is hostile or trying to shoot you down with a word bomb.  Some people are trying to give a gift for those who are open to receive it.  You could have said what you said to me in a gentler more respectful way.  Not everyone is out to attack you.  If you have found enlightenment and that moves you to make a statement, then that's your gift.  But how could you dismiss so readily what I've found to be enlightenment for me?   It feels like you negated my existence.  Like I have no authority to say what enlightenment is from my point of view and experience.  That doesn't work for me.  I'm here.  I've done this work for years.  You could say I have a different point of view but you can't I don't think genuinely say I'm downright wrong.  I don't think so.  Otherwise, why would I take the time to say what I said?  Just to annoy you?  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

22 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

There's no need to say I'm downright wrong.  You shared something.  I shared something.  We haven't met.  There's no way you could know that I'm downright wrong.  Why does someone need to be downright wrong anyway?  We're just sharing words here.  Words are not going to solve the issue of enlightenment anyway.  

He said you were right, he just put the word "down" in front of it and "wrong" after it. Odd choice of words. 

25 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

I was challenging you to think differently and you refused and dismissed me.  I'm not dismissing what you said, except for the overconfident dismissal of me.  Actually, you need no words to be enlightened.  All we're doing is engaging in pointers and some are in a loop of wasting a lot of time arguing about pointers as if they're truth.  It was cool to see your reaction to what I said though.  Be careful about dismissing what others are saying in good faith.  Try to see their point of view charitably in the first instance.  Not everyone is hostile or trying to shoot you down with a word bomb.  Some people are trying to give a gift for those who are open to receive it.  You could have said what you said to me in a gentler more respectful way.  Not everyone is out to attack you.  

👍

Youtube Channel  

26 minutes ago, Mandy said:

He said you were right, he just put the word "down" in front of it and "wrong" after it. Odd choice of words. 

👍

What I'm saying is deeper than that.  I'm saying that spiritual enlightenment, once attained, has nothing to do with words.  Words are like different kinds of pointers.  Enlightenment remains after you stop thinking about enlightenment.  It's an endowment.  I can go long periods of time where I'm not talking about or thinking about enlightenment and still have that endowment.  It's a transformation in being maybe is the best pointer.  What I'm saying is the duality between state vs./and no state is a pointer.  There's a wobble there and even that's a construct.   I guess what I was trying to point out is once you have it you have it.  It's not a state in that sense.  But it's also not permanent because you don't need to try to grasp at anything to keep it.  So, we're both right and wrong because language is not the be all end all to what spiritual enlightenment is in the soul.  It's complicated to try to put this stuff into words actually.  This is why arguing about spiritual enlightenment doesn't resolve the issue.  It doesn't work like that.  You're trying to point to something with words that is an attainment in spirit that you've come to have, but you don't need to think anything to keep it.  It's just part of normal for you now.  You don't need to earn it or do affirmations about it.  You couldn't lose it if you wanted to either.  It's like a maturity almost.  You can't go back to being a little kid if you're a 45 year old man like me as much as I would love to do that.   Lots to think about, but then the point I'm trying to make too, and this is key -- thinking about it is secondary!   You can think all you want about growth, but your growth is what it is too.  Thinking is just another layer on top of what is already the case.  Anyway, too many words already from me.  You don't need to be attached to spiritual enlightenment to keep it.  it's there for better for for worse.  It's made a home in your soul and it doesn't need reinforcements from you to remain.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor I was just trying to make light of the wording. Although it is a trip when you really notice the words you're choosing to use to say something, (or the words that occur) and sometimes you notice that you betray yourself, and by betray I mean, reveal a message beyond just the surface one we thought we were sending to someone else. It probably sounds nuts but sometimes really mean youtube comments left on my videos have really wonderful or helpful messages in them, but it's not what the commenter intended to say. 

Youtube Channel  

22 hours ago, Orb said:

This is deflection. No one is saying that the "goal" is to not think, keyword: disidentify, not stop thoughts from arising

You are your thoughts . You can't disidentify with thoughts. Because you are all of existence. And you should accept it all.

22 hours ago, Orb said:

And knowledge will solve this "problem" For you?

You think a conceptual answer will somehow end the questions?

No .but I don't have other medium. 

22 hours ago, Blessed2 said:

This is thoughts about having no thoughts. Not the "actual experience".

Btw, if focusing on breathing etc. seem overwhelming, try silent mantra meditation. It has been really helpful for me. Basically, sit comfortably and repeat silently without making a sound a mantra with no meaning. Like for example, "domy". Just a simple word with no meaning. Keep repeating it over and over. That's all. Try for ten minutes today.

OK thank you brother .Will try that .

23 hours ago, Mandy said:

I understand that you come from a culture that has a caste system and where it is acceptable for women to be viewed as less than, but please do not bring that lens of viewing things here. 

Mandy this remark is quite racist, reported. I understand you come from a culture where it's acceptable for men to be viewed as less than considerate, but please do not bring that lens of viewing things here.

Please see the Forum Guidelines

Edited by Devin

4 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

There's no need to say I'm downright wrong.  You shared something.  I shared something.  We haven't met.  There's no way you could know that I'm downright wrong.  Why does someone need to be downright wrong anyway?  We're just sharing words here.  Words are not going to solve the issue of enlightenment anyway.  I was challenging you to think differently and you refused and dismissed me.  I'm not dismissing what you said, except for the overconfident dismissal of me.  Actually, you need no words to be enlightened.  All we're doing is engaging in pointers and some are in a loop of wasting a lot of time arguing about pointers as if they're truth.  It was cool to see your reaction to what I said though.  Be careful about dismissing what others are saying in good faith.  Try to see their point of view charitably in the first instance.  Not everyone is hostile or trying to shoot you down with a word bomb.  Some people are trying to give a gift for those who are open to receive it.  You could have said what you said to me in a gentler more respectful way.  Not everyone is out to attack you.  If you have found enlightenment and that moves you to make a statement, then that's your gift.  But how could you dismiss so readily what I've found to be enlightenment for me?   It feels like you negated my existence.  Like I have no authority to say what enlightenment is from my point of view and experience.  That doesn't work for me.  I'm here.  I've done this work for years.  You could say I have a different point of view but you can't I don't think genuinely say I'm downright wrong.  I don't think so.  Otherwise, why would I take the time to say what I said?  Just to annoy you?  

Relax. You are overthinking this my dude. 

6 minutes ago, Devin said:

Mandy this remark is quite racist, reported. I understand you come from a culture where it's acceptable for men to be viewed as less than considerate, but please do not bring that lens of viewing things here.

Why say Mandy is parroting Phil though, why not the other way around, they both say it?  And neither of them said any of it first, why not say Phil is parroting some other guru who said it all first? 

Edited by Jonas Long