8 minutes ago, Jonas Long said:

You could take a minute to readjust yourself, or else this is just going to be the same predictable arc of lashing out that we've all seen before.  Just don't steal my profile pic this time, ok? 

I think we're all done here. Toodaloo 😎

Edited by Devin

On 10/26/2023 at 8:37 AM, Alexander said:

I am enjoying dualistic thoughts.I enjoy being separate self dealing with others.I enjoy happiness chasing for new experiences and getting things.I enjoy life.

Hi all. I've breezed through the first few pages of this thread but not the rest, so I'm not sure whether Alexander has been "beaten into submission" by the end (j/k). But, since this is my FIRST POST on the forum I want to get something juicy in, and this seems like a hot spot for it (lol). I have two notions to punt: 

1) Dualism directly implies discrimination -- the attempt to separate the "good" from the "bad;" what you want vs what you don't want. That in itself directly implies there are things you believe are bad and undesirable, and that implies that your joy -- by definition -- comes with some "non-joy." So....

2) You don't enjoy dualism ENOUGH! IF you enjoyed every single little thing about it, without exception(!), THAT would be nonduality. My advice for someone in your "predicament" (which more or less includes myself): Enjoy MORE!

@Steve welcome Steve 🙂

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture

40 minutes ago, Steve said:

Hi all. I've breezed through the first few pages of this thread but not the rest, so I'm not sure whether Alexander has been "beaten into submission" by the end (j/k). But, since this is my FIRST POST on the forum I want to get something juicy in, and this seems like a hot spot for it (lol). I have two notions to punt: 

1) Dualism directly implies discrimination -- the attempt to separate the "good" from the "bad;" what you want vs what you don't want. That in itself directly implies there are things you believe are bad and undesirable, and that implies that your joy -- by definition -- comes with some "non-joy." So....

2) You don't enjoy dualism ENOUGH! IF you enjoyed every single little thing about it, without exception(!), THAT would be nonduality. My advice for someone in your "predicament" (which more or less includes myself): Enjoy MORE!

True, but many nondualists especially around here believe non duality is following happiness, ' going up the scale', as in if you're not peaceful it's because you're believing in a duality, they don't see the duality in that, they just think feeling negative emotions is indicating duality beliefs and feeling positive emotions is nonduality,  the duality of this is obviously black and white, but, they continue.

Alexander means he's happy with 'reality', 'not knowing', just enjoying, not trying to 'understand' or attain enlightenment.

Edited by Devin

9 minutes ago, Devin said:

True, but many nondualists especially around here believe non duality is following happiness, ' going up the scale', as in if you're not peaceful it's because you're believing in a duality, they don't see the duality in that, they just think feeling negative emotions is indicating duality beliefs and feeling positive emotions is nonduality,  the duality of this is obviously black and white, but, they continue.

Alexander means he's happy with 'reality', 'not knowing', just enjoying, not trying to 'understand' or attain enlightenment.

You hit on exactly how and why I find myself here: Phil's "first" youtube video:  

I was VERY MOVED by his view that "following happiness" is wading into a stream heading to nonduality. My practice had been so austere -- lifeless -- that it was going nowhere. My no-pain no-gain approach was not healthy. Joy is healthy! Joy CANNOT be bad (I see now, more clearly than ever, thanks to Phil's insights). I've decided to allow joy to "afflate" my practice -- which immediately caused me to vividly recall meditative "successes" in the past which inevitably came at times when joy and positivity had strong influences on my life in general. I could hardly describe how important this is for me. As for mistakes others might make conceptually regarding nonduality -- I have no say in that.

Regarding Alexander's perspective I think it's not difficult to be clear that duality is a false contrivance of the mind. Anyone seriously interested in "truth" would want to see what's behind its veil, IMO. Being "happy" with a falsehood is....not the way to go (to put it nicely). I'm sure you agree.

46 minutes ago, Steve said:

Anyone seriously interested in "truth" would want to see what's behind its veil, IMO. Being "happy" with a falsehood is....not the way to go (to put it nicely). I'm sure you agree.

I actually disagree, what you just said is believing duality, "the way to go" implies there's a way to not go, a duality. There's no way to go (and everyway, is the way to go).

Edited by Devin

24 minutes ago, Devin said:

I actually disagree, what you just said is believing duality, "the way to go" implies there's a way to not go, a duality. There's no way to go.

Ah! I won't quibble over "nonduality speak." I'm ignorant. Deluded. I'm left feeling I must "do something" -- even if I may conceptually understand that there's nothing to do and no one to do it. I expend gallons of sweat trying to realize that sweat won't help! It's funny, but at the moment I can only leave the laughter to you, for your enjoyment.

Edited by Steve

It's more about that you can't deny feeling. You only ever feel you. It's self-evident.

Phil sometimes says something like "you can't take off feeling like you would take off a jacket." I think that's a great pointer.

I am the playful and ever-present Source, joyfully embracing every thought and emotion as part of my perfect, unfolding co-creative dream.

I am happy mind is always dualistic and sees reality in that way giving me a chance of choice and free will.Without mind we can't navigate through life.Not all thoughts are about self mostly they are about what we want out of life and how to get there,to solve problems or to care and worry about other people etc mind can have many uses.

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

@Devin

Not sure what’s meant there. 

From what I read the guy is happy, who gives a crap if he doesn't understand something, that he has some belief he holds onto, what the heck does that matter, to me you all are gaslighting him to follow along with your maxims.

And in a self contradictory way, nonduality means not two, that means nothing is wrong Phil, there's no such thing as misleading, there's no belief that Truly misleads Phil, it's all just experience, it's  ALL okay.

On 10/26/2023 at 8:37 AM, Alexander said:

I am enjoying dualistic thoughts.I enjoy being separate self dealing with others.I enjoy happiness chasing for new experiences and getting things.I enjoy life.

You know how they say the devil says "it's okay to eat that fruit!", but do you know how they also say lucifer fell from heaven and rules this world, what would be the greatest deception would be to have flipped the roles in the story, say God said it's all okay, which he did in Genesis, except for the tree, what if God said everything is okay for you and didn't exclude the tree,

but then lucifer down here tells the lie that God commanded you not to eat the fruit and says lucifer tricked you into eating it, and that that causes you misery.

What if everything is okay for us, and it's just the thought that something isn't okay for us that causes the chaos. I mean, what is heaven right? What is off limits in heaven?

Edited by Devin

Jesus says heaven has gold streets, we get all kinds of treasure, ruby walls,...

What if greed etc., is a 'problem' only because we think we can't have everything, not that we want it.

2 Chronicles 1:11 God said to Solomon, "Since this was in your heart ...

therefore wisdom and knowledge have been granted to you. And I will also give you riches and wealth and honor unlike anything given to the kings before you or

Edited by Devin

21 minutes ago, Devin said:

From what I read the guy is happy, who gives a crap if he doesn't understand something, that he has some belief he holds onto, what the heck does that matter, to me you all are gaslighting him to follow along with your maxims.

And in a self contradictory way, nonduality means not two, that means nothing is wrong Phil, there's no such thing as misleading, there's no belief that Truly misleads Phil, it's all just experience, it's  ALL okay.

It's not that weird for people to be responding, giving a "nondual" perspective to the OP, since this is a nonduality forum, and they posted it under the "nondual" area, not like, their personal journal.  If it were there I could see you getting pissy on his behalf(I mean, it'd be more understandable) but I get the sense we are dealing with too-tight-panty-devon here, not "good faith" Devin.  The duality of the devins.  

3 minutes ago, Jonas Long said:

It's not that weird for people to be responding, giving a "nondual" perspective to the OP, since this is a nonduality forum, and they posted it under the "nondual" area, not like, their personal journal.  If it were there I could see you getting pissy on his behalf(I mean, it'd be more understandable) but I get the sense we are dealing with too-tight-panty-devon here, not "good faith" Devin.  The duality of the devins.  

But they're not responding with nonduality. Although the op stated he's following duality, that doesn't  mean he is, duality doesn't exist.

Edited by Devin