6 minutes ago, Orb said:

They can, but the whole point of the education system is ensuring that certain topics are taught to the new generations no matter what. 

Not every parent will teach their kids these important things, you'd be leaving their education up to chance. 

The point of the education system is to prepare people for the workforce.

Hold on now young Advaita whipper snapper, you're gonna require my children learn to be greedy capitalists!! And fornicators!!

Edited by Devin

1 minute ago, Devin said:

The point of the education system is to prepare people for the workforce.

Yes. This is the current use of the education system, I'm talking about evolving the education system so that all members of society are fully competent to handle life and we can help each other even more. 

2 minutes ago, Devin said:

Hold on now young Advaita whipper snapper, you're gonna require my children learn to be capitalists!! And fornicators!!

Not sure what's meant here? 

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture

Just now, Orb said:

Yes. This is the current use of the education system, I'm talking about evolving the education system so that all members of society are fully competent to handle life and we can help each other even more. 

Not sure what's meant here? 

So educating everyone on 'these important things' introduces beliefs, biases, such as capitalism or fornicating.

2 minutes ago, Jonas Long said:

First paragraph of your link 

"However, men still hold important positions in the government and religious institutions."

The source by the way, Neo feminist magazine

Edited by Devin

3 minutes ago, Devin said:

First paragraph of your link 

"However, men still hold important positions in the government and religious institutions."

Yeah, like women do now, in some cases. 

I guess it's not as simple as you'd like it to be, matriarchy doesn't mean men have no power, patriarchy doesn't mean women have no power.  It's a slightly nuanced thing. 

Edited by Jonas Long

3 minutes ago, Devin said:

So educating everyone on 'these important things' introduces beliefs, biases, such as capitalism or fornicating.

You're overcomplicating this. Teaching the new generation about how to better manage their personal finances, or how to communicate with a spouse has nothing to do with teaching capitalism/fornication or biases. 

Sometimes you gotta stop dying on a hill and get off. 

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

3 minutes ago, Jonas Long said:

Dominated by "their" women implies an ownership that wasn't recognized in these societies.  I think sometimes the penalty for woman beating by a man was death.

Sometimes it's hard to see the patriarchy, the reason I use beating is because it's undisputable as to who is dominated, and there is a plethora of current and past cultures where it is the norm to beat women, not for fun but like it is for disciplining children in some cultures.

1 minute ago, Devin said:

Sometimes it's hard to see the patriarchy, the reason I use beating is because it's undisputable as to who is dominated, and there is a plethora of current and past cultures where it is the norm to beat women, not for fun but like it is for disciplining children in some cultures.

Obviously that is the norm is some cultures.  Just like "women want providers" is the norm, or has been for a long time in ours.  But it's not an immutable law of the universe.  Cultural norms are constantly in flux.  It's gonna be a losing battle for you, but if you're determined to fight it, be my guest. 

11 minutes ago, Orb said:

You're overcomplicating this. Teaching the new generation about how to better manage their personal finances, or how to communicate with a spouse has nothing to do with teaching capitalism/fornication or biases. 

Sometimes you gotta stop dying on a hill and get off. 

Bulloney, first of all your education system would implode, if you taught people how to be financially responsible no one would need to work, including.... teachers. And yes I literally mean no one would need to work, people survive and have survived millenia not having jobs, not even having money to have a class about!

An education system would always be based on exploitation. The world is already our oyster, the ONLY reason for education is exploitation.

Edited by Devin

7 minutes ago, Jonas Long said:

Obviously that is the norm is some cultures.  Just like "women want providers" is the norm, or has been for a long time in ours.  But it's not an immutable law of the universe.  Cultural norms are constantly in flux.  It's gonna be a losing battle for you, but if you're determined to fight it, be my guest. 

I'm not an 'alpha bro', I let women pay for me and anything, I just think it's naive to believe it's not the big factor for women, even though many women say otherwise, women are people too you know, they're full of crap.

Edited by Devin

7 minutes ago, Devin said:

Bulloney, first of all your education system would implode, if you taught people how to be financially responsible no one would need to work, including.... teachers. And yes I literally mean no one would need to work, people survive and have survived millenia not having jobs, not even having money to have a class about!

An education system would always be based on exploitation. The world is already our oyster, the ONLY reason for education is exploitation.

Nonsense.

16 minutes ago, Devin said:

Lol, what???

How would financial responsibility spare you from needing to work?  You need to make money in order to be responsible with it.  

The point of education is to learn stuff.   Any type of learning is education... I'm totally fucking baffled by this post. 

Edited by Jonas Long

4 minutes ago, Jonas Long said:

Lol, what???

How would financial responsibility spare you from needing to work?  You need to make money in order to be responsible with it.  

You invest in the stock market and buy your Starbucks from dividends!

You don't need to make money if your parents already had it.

Edited by Devin