Spiritual Ego

Phil

What does it seem to be?

How does it arise?

What is it?

How is it seen through, unfettered of, dispelled? 

How can you spot it? 

How is it described from a medical standpoint? 

From a scientific standpoint?

From a psychological standpoint?

From a social standpoint? 

Physics?

Quantum mechanics? 

How to address it? 

Should you? 

What are the ramifications of addressing this?

What are the ramifications of not addressing this? 

Take part, let’s get to the bottom of this. 🙂

1 hour ago, Phil said:

What does it seem to be?

It's believing spirituality is some sort of a thing, like science, and can be used or distorted for selfish motives.

Maybe it's something I'm doing right now. Quite often my thoughts around spiritual stuff is really connected to wanting to impress others. I might be looking to impress by literally writing this right now.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

How does it arise?

We hear about spirituality and enlightenment and famous gurus at some point, and the ego/selfishness/inpurity wants to be  adored and appear better than others by making up an identity of a spiritual person. Or just identifying as someone who is seeking or has found or is being something spiritual.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

By letting go / no longer believing that there is such a thing as ego, spirituality or an egoic or non-egoic self.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

How can you spot it? 

Talking about spirituality and ego-death and enlightenment etc. and at the same time conveying that there is hierarchy, "teachers and students", pure and inpure people, and meaning, purpose, importance in it.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Physics?

Quantum mechanics? 

"Enlightenment" or "ego death" isn't a part of these belief systems. So it kinda stops making sense. 🤔 

1 hour ago, Phil said:

How to address it? 

By being honest. By being open about how you feel.

Edited by Blessed2

There must be an effortless way.

14 hours ago, Phil said:

What does it seem to be?

How does it arise?

What is it?

How can you spot it? 

Physics?

Quantum mechanics? 

How to address it? 

Should you? 

In my opinion, believing an "I" is the bottom or core of the spiritual ego. End of the day, no one is here lol😂 but just want to say so. 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

15 hours ago, Phil said:

What does it seem to be?

How does it arise?

What is it?

How can you spot it? 

Physics?

Quantum mechanics? 

How to address it? 

Should you? 

To me it seems to be like a personality type of thing. Like there is gamers, nerds etc. People who are good at spiritual things(they have a solid practice, they have knowledge about the field, know a lot of spiritual people, had unique experience's, are good at connecting to other people, know some foreign language). Once a person is good at something they tend to brag about it. I dont think is bad. It might be annoying sometimes when they discard the similarities that they share with others. People who are spiritual are still people in the end.

You might also be thinking the spiritual ego like a person who is fanatic. I don't think it is healthy to get stuck in fanaticism.  It is scary. Its like a discord that you end up needing but it doesn't allow you to "connect to other things".

One more problem that I see with spirituality ego - I have some of this in me. It becomes the solution for everything. My example: sometimes without me knowing I end up getting invited to event or a workshop. When I don't, I overly think and think what went wrong and try to focus to get better at connecting with people. If something works than I hook's it up with the spiritual ego values.  Just to better clarify myself: social anxiety doesn't reduce "social skills". People try to figure out what is the best next best move and so on but that's just too much sometimes. 

Another similar example would be for meditation. When I was a kid my mother use to make me clean the carpet's and sometimes I really enjoyed it. Mainly, because there was a process to it and it was done outside of the house and my feet would stay in water the entire day so I liked the sensation. I liked doing the process, rinse, make it with soap, clean then rinse again. If my family was spiritual they could say to me you are meditating. Same if you have an order on how you clean the dishes. If I had a family who believed in the god of carpets then if I am not doing good at something they would say go clean a carpet and the god will help you.

My point is that so many of the spiritual things are human things and it is not necessary to become a fanatic or limit ones self to spiritual belief or non beliefs.  Or, you can have a spiritual ego no problem just dont be annoying and everyone is should be okay. 

Edited by nurthur11

15 hours ago, Phil said:

What does it seem to be?

How does it arise?

What is it?

Seems to be "how things are."

Arises with a thought implying separation, comparison, etc.

It is a belief that feels bad, and is a kind of endless seeking that also assumes it's already met the end of the road.

By realizing that suffering always accompanies thoughts of separation, and by listening to the guidance. By loving one another, by appreciating one another not as separate selves in groups and categories but truly. By realizing that everyone else is already enlightened, or ultimately that enlightenment does not occur within time to people living in time. 

15 hours ago, Phil said:

How can you spot it? 

Physics?

Quantum mechanics? 

Suffering. 

? dunno

particles?

ego.

narcissism

grand unified theory

particles hijacking waves?😂

15 hours ago, Phil said:

How to address it? 

Should you? 

Humor, expression, appreciation, listening to discord, putting feeling first

should who?

More love and fun in every moment

Discord, ignored emotional guidance. 

Youtube Channel  

15 hours ago, Phil said:

What does it seem to be?

Seems to be you, but really it is self-referential thinking. 

15 hours ago, Phil said:

How does it arise?

Belief in separation, in a one who achieved some kind of realization/ is on a path of realizations. 

15 hours ago, Phil said:

What is it?

Thought. 

15 hours ago, Phil said:

What exactly would see through something that already isn’t? 😄

Being with the subject of what seems to be being experienced, no object attention, no need for a subject, Boundless. 

15 hours ago, Phil said:

How can you spot it?

Seems to me like chasing after a ghosts which vanishes upon being inspected. What is spotted is you being caught up in ‘yourself’ self-referential thinking. How is just by being aware, being that which you are, Awareness. 

15 hours ago, Phil said:

Physics?

Quantum mechanics? 

I don’t think ego is really addressed in most systems of thinking, let alone spiritual ego. It cannot really be understood through any sort of lens as it is the lens that ‘things’ get looked at through. 

15 hours ago, Phil said:

How to address it? 

Should you? 

Just be Yourself, inspect all self-referential thoughts so that What You Really Are can shine. 
Should? I? 
Actually directly experiencing Reality, bliss, love 🌈 rainbows ☺️
Continuation of unconscious suffering.

Ten thousand tears,

One Belly Laugh.

15 hours ago, Phil said:

What does it seem to be?

Identification as someone who has undergone a certain amount of spiritual practice/literature or spiritual intake in general. This might or might not entail the underlying assumption that this makes the spiritual ego in question better than other egos. Perhaps, what's "bad" about it is not even the identification, but the emotional discord that arises out of the identification and the beliefs connected to that identification, which distort the view of reality, thus rob you of clarity.

Not sure how this pans out, so any input is welcome, but there seems to be a distinction between spiritual ego and spiritual personality. This is probably just my sense making of it, but a spiritual personality seems aligned (clarity, love, being laid-back), while spiritual ego seems not aligned (lost in its own views, being overly judgmental and serious).

15 hours ago, Phil said:

How does it arise?

By believing and acting out on discordant thoughts.

15 hours ago, Phil said:

By noticing the emotional discord which certain thoughts and perspectives bring about.

15 hours ago, Phil said:

How to address it? 

The end of spiritual ego seems like the end of addressing it.

15 hours ago, Phil said:

Should you? 

Great question. I'd address it if it doesn't feel good. I wouldn't if the thoughts and perspectives are those of clarity and an open heart. But then again, the ego can be really deceiving, and only make you believe that you're someone who has clarity and an open heart. Seems really tricky to answer this one with reliability. I guess intuition and deep listening to feeling is the answer, but I have no clue tbh.

15 hours ago, Phil said:

Developing even deeper layers of spiritual ego?

Or really emptying yourself?

Seems like it could go both ways.

15 hours ago, Phil said:

Keeping the spiritual ego intact?

Or letting it go for good?

Seems like it could go both ways.