Can Use Some Clarity Right Now

Orb

here's the situation. 

Last night I deep cleaned and reorganized my whole room then stretched and went to sleep.

Right now I've woken up about an hour ago and I want to play videogames, I feel such a strong pull to do it.

I got other things I wanna do as well like stretch, meditate, study. 

Why is the pull to play videogames stronger?

♾️

@MazE I appreciate your contribution to this thread, but I want to point out that the "our default is to avoid discomfort." Is the common belief system we adopt from the modern self help type stuff. 

I'm questioning right now if the things that are wanted (exercise, meditation, etc.) are even uncomfortable at all, and if we say they are uncomfortable so we can pride ourselves when we accomplish them.

Think every entrepreneur on YouTube "it was so hard, but I did it! Look at me!".

♾️

4 hours ago, Orb said:

Why is the pull to play videogames stronger?

From where does the ‘pull’ said to transpire originate?  

Maybe there is the experience of pushing, thought / said to be pulling. 

If someone put a gun to your head and said today, you have only 16 hours to meditate, stretch, study and play video games… would the panic set in, the sweat begin to drip, the adrenaline spike - or would you be like, dude, put the gun down, relax, 16 hours is more than ample?

@Orb Our bodies do like to conserve energy but this is just another common held belief.

Yes they are uncomfortable because it's outside of our comfort zone. What this is, is just thoughts and a feeling that make the tasks appear more difficult than they actually are. It's also used as an excuse to not do the tasks.

Not all people use pride as the main motivator. It depends on where someone is in life. Pride does move mountains but if its seen through it can no longer do that.

If you stay in the now there are only thoughts and emotions in the moment. It is what it is and this moment is not any worse than any other moment. 

Have you taken a cold shower before?

Try it. Start with a comfortable temperature and then suddenly change the water to the coldest setting.

What happened there? If you are not used to taking cold showers you will jump around and move like crazy or close the water or make a big deal out of it. 

I did it for a whole year as a spiritual practice. The last 1-2 minutes in the shower i changed to the coldest setting and sat still without moving at all. This way you can connect with who you are. There is this extremely uncomfortable cold feeling and this need to move around but you have the choice to just observe all of it and let it be.

Easier said than done of course in life in general but it's the most important skill to develop.

Perhaps you're expecting too much of yourself. You can't go from 0 to 100 just like that, if you try, you'll probably fail. And that will demotivate you,

Do you have reasonable expectations in terms of how much you can do of all these things? That might be the key question here. 

If you expect "well tomorrow I'm going to wake up at 6 am and I'm going to go for a 30 min run, then I'm going to meditate for 20 minutes and then I'm going to strech for 15 minutes, and after that I'm going to prepare a healthy breakfast, and I'm not going to drink any coffee but just a cup of green tea, so that at 8 am I can start studying, and I'm going to study 6 hours today!" 

That would be  a great day, wouldn't it?  Yes... But is it reasonable to expect that if you're just starting out to implement these things?

Because maybe it's just asking a bit too much. And so you get demotivated and bam! you suddenly sit in front of your PS4, wondering why you can't stick to your plans.

Something like that?

@Indisguise I don't think it's reasonable simply because secretly the stronger desire is "I want to play video games" and the discord/suffering arises when you focus on "I don't want to live like that and I am not capable of living this good life", but there's also focusing on 

1 hour ago, Indisguise said:

"well tomorrow I'm going to wake up at 6 am and I'm going to go for a 30 min run, then I'm going to meditate for 20 minutes and then I'm going to strech for 15 minutes, and after that I'm going to prepare a healthy breakfast, and I'm not going to drink any coffee but just a cup of green tea, so that at 8 am I can start studying, and I'm going to study 6 hours today!" 

... and allowing it in

On 5/22/2022 at 4:44 PM, Orb said:

@MazE I appreciate your contribution to this thread, but I want to point out that the "our default is to avoid discomfort." Is the common belief system we adopt from the modern self help type stuff. 

I'm questioning right now if the things that are wanted (exercise, meditation, etc.) are even uncomfortable at all, and if we say they are uncomfortable so we can pride ourselves when we accomplish them.

Think every entrepreneur on YouTube "it was so hard, but I did it! Look at me!".

Try to hangout with a person you don't like or resonate with - it is not so easy. I would say there are thing that you like and that you don’t like.

But I would be curious to know  - if you drop the "I cant accomplish things" then you will do more? For me this is, a confidence type of thing and believing that you have what it takes. Confidence is build with practice for sure. Once you know for sure you can do something you don’t have to put too much effort in doing it, in turn performing that action will give you energy and satisfaction.

I just learned how to play tennis table to playable level. Before I was filled with anxiety when I had to return a ball, mainly because all I had was hopefully awareness take over and returns it or I get lucky. Now that I know the mechanic I cant wait to return it. So yeah, it takes practice to build confidence in some activities. 

Edited by nurthur11