Some places friendlier than others

Kevin

So basically I was thinking that some places seem more friendly than others. For example in Vegas it seems very easy to talk to strangers and to me most people seem open and friendly if I try talking to them. And it’s mostly the same in reno. However in Portland it seems like you don’t talk to strangers and it feels like people have their guard up.

But then I’m thinking that has to be a reflection of me. I’m creating that somehow. I don’t think I can actually say if people are friendlier in one place versus another. It’s more about my vibration.

I guess I’m looking to be more friendly and create more opportunities to make friends and meet girls and I want to stop getting in my own way

I found that to be accurate of Vegas and Portland too. Maybe it’s the alcohol / vacation designation factor of Vegas… and maybe the Oregonians are still pissed and cautious from the Osho thingy lol, idk. You’re indeed the creator of reality, but not as a sep self, as you. Surely you’ve experienced some ‘guard up’ and found it to be obscuring. One way to look at friendliness… if it’s experienced to be in short supply, it’s demand is surely at a premium. This makes Portland more ripe for opportunities for a friendly being such as yourself. 🙂

2 hours ago, Phil said:

I found that to be accurate of Vegas and Portland too. Maybe it’s the alcohol / vacation designation factor of Vegas… and maybe the Oregonians are still pissed and cautious from the Osho thingy lol, idk. You’re indeed the creator of reality, but not as a sep self, as you. Surely you’ve experienced some ‘guard up’ and found it to be obscuring. One way to look at friendliness… if it’s experienced to be in short supply, it’s demand is surely at a premium. This makes Portland more ripe for opportunities for a friendly being such as yourself. 🙂

That’s cool. I guess I’m glad to know it’s not just me. It definitely seems like if I talk to someone I don’t know in Portland I think it’s more likely that they will be confused and perhaps put off. In Vegas though it’s a vacation spot and people are drunk so yeah the vibe is different.

Also I think you’re right. Im experiencing more guard up in Portland because I grew up here and not being friendly was my childhood. So on my end there is definitely a feeling of having my guard up which probably isn’t helping.

Also that is a very positive way to frame it up. Some people would probably be stoked to talk to someone new just because of how not friendly some people can be.

1 hour ago, Mandy said:

Long winters do things to people. 😂 Also seems to result in less violence and crime rates overall in colder climates, which is also strange. 

Yeah I think a lot of people here deal with seasonal depression. I’m sure lots of people have lived here their entire lives and so they don’t even notice it because it seems normal to them.

16 hours ago, Kevin said:

Yeah I think a lot of people here deal with seasonal depression. I’m sure lots of people have lived here their entire lives and so they don’t even notice it because it seems normal to them.

Yeah, partly that but I think it's more that colder climates may require strong community. The lack of initial friendliness in a lot of areas is just a reserved attitude for strangers which on the other end means community is a strength. Like the culture in Denmark for example is not at all welcoming to newcomers, yet incredibly strong and supportive as a culture and with policies. If someone is initially showing you a lot of warmth it might not be for a good reason or it might have a lot to do with tourism as an industry there. Not saying that's it means something bad, just saying that some might have the attitude that it's best to stay reserved and not raise red flags in people. 

Youtube Channel  

7 hours ago, Mandy said:

Yeah, partly that but I think it's more that colder climates may require strong community. The lack of initial friendliness in a lot of areas is just a reserved attitude for strangers which on the other end means community is a strength. Like the culture in Denmark for example is not at all welcoming to newcomers, yet incredibly strong and supportive as a culture and with policies. If someone is initially showing you a lot of warmth it might not be for a good reason or it might have a lot to do with tourism as an industry there. Not saying that's it means something bad, just saying that some might have the attitude that it's best to stay reserved and not raise red flags in people. 

Yeah I think if I were staying in Portland longer I could find a good community but I’m going back to Reno in around a month. 

You can think of the Earth as different parts of your body. Some parts have more trauma and pain and suffering than others because they have been abused and used incorrectly from its natural way or design, those parts / places only need more love, attention, support. Be the example you wish to see ~

Edited by Pluto

If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

On 2/5/2024 at 4:19 PM, Joseph Maynor said:

People are friendly in Vegas because people go there to have a good time so most people are happy.  In San Francisco people are generally cold and aloof.

In San Francisco I got asked by a stranger on the street if I was a model lol.  I can't stand Vegas.  I'm not a friendly person if I have to be there.  To me, it's the asshole of America, and I've spent time in the deep south.

Edited by Jonas Long

2 hours ago, Jonas Long said:

In San Francisco I got asked by a stranger on the street if I was a model lol.  I can't stand Vegas.  I'm not a friendly person if I have to be there.  To me, it's the asshole of America, and I've spent time in the deep south.

Vegas is alright although I wouldn't want to be there for more than 3 nights.  San Fran is introverted and cold on the surface, but hell I live here and although I've been to many places around the world, I still look forward to returning here.  There's a reason people have their guard up here because a lot of the freeloaders from around the country seem to cycle through San Fran on their grand tour I guess, especially during the warm part of the year here.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor