Music

MazE

Released in 1978.  Excellent lead guitar style and tone by Tom Scholtz.  This is an excellent album.  I like the development/growth from the first album which is also a masterpiece.  I like the tender/emotional playing in certain parts and the ballads.  This is a nice remaster of this album.  Nice and loud!  Excellent vocals by Brad Delp.  Very linear and melodic album but good too.  The lead guitar solo in ‘The Man I’ll Never Be’ is top shelf!

Brad Delp – lead and backing vocals, acoustic guitar, tambourine
Tom Scholz – lead guitar, rhythm guitar, acoustic guitar, 12-string guitar, bass, keyboards
Sib Hashian – drums
//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Recorded in 1983.  One of my favorite albums.  Lightning in a bottle album.  I enjoy Brent Mydland's contributions on the band at this stage on keyboards.  I love the sound of the two drum kits being played at the same time.   Here the 3-part vocal harmonies are Bob low, Jerry mid, Brent high.  Phil used to sing the high part too in an earlier era of the band's history.  I don't know how much singing he does in this period though.  If I notice it I'll revise this to mention it.

Jerry Garcia – lead guitar, lead and backing vocals
Bob Weir – rhythm guitar, lead and backing vocals
Brent Mydland – keyboards, backing vocals
Phil Lesh – bass
Bill Kreutzmann – drums
Mickey Hart – drums, congas, percussion
//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Recorded in 1968.  Great album capturing the early Grateful Dead.  One of my favorite albums.  Nice and loud too!  Phil Lesh is on fire on this album on bass.  You can hear the 2 drum kits being played at the same time.

Ron McKernan – organ, harmonica, lead vocals
Phil Lesh – bass, backing vocals
Bill Kreutzmann – drums
Mickey Hart - drums, percussion

//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Recorded in 1977.  Great middle era Grateful Dead album.  One of my favorite albums.  Top notch.  I wanted to find early, middle, and early late Grateful Dead album -- just 3 albums to post.  I might post a late period album, I have a good one in mind.  Bob Weir is on fire on rhythm guitar on this album.  

Donna Godchaux – co-lead and backing vocals
Keith Godchaux – keyboards
Phil Lesh – bass
Bill Kreutzmann – drums
Mickey Hart – drums, percussion
//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1990.  Probably the best late period Grateful Dead album I can list to give one album from every era of the band.   Nice and loud!  There's an early-mid era that deserves a representative album if I wanted to be totally complete, but I'll stop with the Grateful Dead for now.

Brent Mydland – keyboards, backing vocals
Phil Lesh – bass
Bill Kreutzmann – drums
Mickey Hart – drums, percussion

//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Recorded in 1973.  I couldn't live with myself if I didn't post this album.  This is an early-mid era for the Grateful Dead.  One of my favorite albums.  Different people resonate with different eras of the band.  I like them all.   This album is just lightning in a bottle.  If I could own only one Grateful Dead album, I think this one would be that one!   Notice the band is stripped down here -- Donna Godchaux and Mickey Hart are not at this show.  Due to that stripped down band, the rest of the band really takes over and compensates for that.  Jerry Garcia is on fire on lead guitar on this album.  Top shelf.  The 3-part vocal harmonies here are: Bob Weir (low), Jerry Garcia (mid), and Phil Lesh (high).  Keith Godchaux is excellent on piano on this album too.  I like how there's space to hear everything in the sound.  The photo below is from 1973.  Left to right: Phil Lesh, Bob Weir, Bill Kreutzmann, Jeith Godchaux, Jerry Garcia.

Keith Godchaux – piano
Bill Kreutzmann – drums
//

image.thumb.png.41973220c709cd6c9365cddaf4a8c33a.png

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Recorded in 1974.  Another excellent show.  One of my favorite albums.  Very tight band for 1974.  Usually 1977 is thought of as the tight year.  But this album shows the band in tip top form.  Mickey Hart is not at this show on drums.  Bill Kreutzmann is one of my favorite drummers. This is the first show where they used their famous Wall of Sound setup.  Photo of the band from 1974: Jerry Garcia (left), Bob Weir (middle), Phil Lesh (right).  I love how you can hear Bob Weir's excellent rhythm guitar clearly on this album.

Keith Godchaux – piano
Bill Kreutzmann – drums
//

grateful-dead_16.jpg

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Recorded in 1974.  One of my favorite albums.  Just next level Grateful Dead from an experimental and improvisational point of view.  This is a desert island album for me.  Phil Lesh is on fire on this album on bass!  You can hear Bob Weir's rhythm guitar clearly which is cool too.  He's an amazing rhythm guitar player.  This is like a musician's music album like a Jazz album.  Jerry Garcia is definitely one of the greatest lead guitar players of all time and a "total musician" I sometimes say -- he has the big picture in mind always.  His solos always fit the song and I never hear him play what sounds like an error.  He's probably the greatest Rock electric guitar improvisor alongside Jimi Hendrix.  Phil Lesh is one of the greatest Rock bass improvisers along with a few more like Jack Bruce.  I Phil Lesh might be the greatest though.  He's also a total musician like Jerry Garcia is.  I can see why they liked each other a lot.  What a top shelf version of 'To Lay Me Down'!  Donna Godchaux's vocals are so beautiful.

Jerry Garcia – lead guitar, slide guitar, lead and backing vocals
Keith Godchaux – piano, keyboards
Bill Kreutzmann – drums
//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Recorded in 1973.  One of my favorite albums.  Desert Island album for me.  A totally different side of the Grateful Dead.  Each show was different.  Keith Godchaux is on fire on this album on piano.  This is a lightning in a bottle show imo.  It's got a Country & Western influence as this show is in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.  The Grateful Dead integrated a lot of different music genres.  I like the album cover too -- it sets the right tone.  It's very relaxed and stripped down album.  Keith Godchaux is actually playing a real grand piano on this album.  Top shelf version of 'Looks Like Rain'.

Jerry Garcia – lead guitar, slide guitar, pedal steel guitar, lead and backing vocals
Keith Godchaux – piano, keyboards
Bill Kreutzmann – drums
//

GettyImages-1340311700.jpg

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Recorded in 1971.  This is a really great early live album that's comparatively short from the Grateful Dead.  It's very Rock and Free Jazz inspired.  It's the second set from a show in 1971.  This is definitely one of my favorite albums.  Nice and loud too!  Jerry Garcia is playing a lot of rhythm guitar on this album!  It's a real treat to hear.  A nice album bridging the early to early-mid era of the band.  This is right around when Keith Godchaux joined the band.  It's like the beginning of Chapter 2 of the Grateful Dead.  Chapter 1 was already very matured.  You can hear that on the album "Live Dead (1969)."

Jerry Garcia – rhythm guitar and lead guitar, lead and backing vocals
Keith Godchaux – keyboards
Bill Kreutzmann – drums, percussion
//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

So basically I'm an autistic INFJ BPD sigma Pisces female with anger and CPTSD issues. Wow wow. 

My plate looks full. I Couldn't have been weirder than that. Now I get why I'm so idiosyncratic.