Music

MazE

Released in 1983.  This album sounds best not on vinyl in my opinion.  This is a great version.  Meticulous and excellent production/engineering.  I love Ross Valory's bass playing on this.  Steve Perry is on fire on this album.  Nice to hear Neal Schon stretch out and play some amazing lead guitar.  There's a lot in this album and how it influenced albums that came after it.  I can tell Iron Maiden's "Somewhere In Time (1986)" released 3 years later is highly influenced by this album.  The song 'Faithfully' is placed at such a great spot in the album too.  What a great song! I can tell this album was influenced by the band Asia's first album released in 1982, one year before this album came out in 1983.

Steve Perry - lead and backing vocals

Neal Schon - lead guitar, backing vocals

Jonathan Cain - keyboards, rhythm guitar, backing vocals

Ross Valory - bass, backing vocals

Steve Smith - drums
//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1982.   Released in 1982. I can tell Journey's "Frontiers (1983)" was influenced by this album. Nice balance of progressive parts with ear candy harmonic parts. Tension and release.

John Wetton – lead vocals, bass
Steve Howe – acoustic, rhythm, and lead guitars, backing vocals
Geoff Downes – keyboards, backing vocals
Carl Palmer – drums
//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1969.   I love how Bob Dylan's vocals are right in the pitch.  I can tell he worked on his singing for this excellent album.  I can tell Neil Young and The Grateful Dead enjoyed this album and it might have influenced their excursions into Country & Western music too.  Excellent production and engineering too for 1969.   To hear this on vinyl gives a warmth that totally complements this album.  There's a kind of Hawaiian/Caribbean or "island sound" to Country music sometimes.  I love that!  
//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1990.  This is the original recording, and a very good version of it too.  I remember when this album came out and I had it on cassette in the 7th grade.  I wore that cassette out in so many ways and had to fix it with Scotch tape to keep it alive.  What an excellent rock album!  It integrates a lot of music before it, but also keeps a masculine point at the front end.  It's organized and ordered; yet fluid and improvisational.

Dave Mustaine -- lead and backing vocals, rhythm guitar (mostly) and lead guitar
Marty Friedman -- rhythm guitar and lead guitar (mostly)
Dave Ellefson -- bass, backing vocals
Nick Menza -- drums, backing vocals
//
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUbvlJ7W7Zg

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1986.  This remastered version is excellent!  This might be my favorite lineup of Megadeth.   This album sounds best not on vinyl in my opinion.  Gar Samuelson is one of my favorite drummers and is creative as well as being a beast on drums.  David Ellefson's bass playing and sound is also noteworthy on this album.  It's nice to be able to hear him this on this  remaster.  Nice crunchy and good rhythm guitar by Dave Mustaine.  Chris Poland is a phenomenal lead guitar player.  Very nice production, engineering, especially on this remaster.  Nice and loud.  Everything is clear.

Dave Mustaine – lead and backing vocals, rhythm guitar (mostly) and lead guitar
Chris Poland – rhythm guitar and lead guitar (mostly) 
David Ellefson – bass, backing vocals
Gar Samuelson – drums
//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1978.   Van Halen's first album.  It's useful to understand the backing vocals in Van Halen:  This is done by Eddie Van Halen and Michael Anthony, with Mark Anthony on the top (high pitch) of the harmony.  Add Roth in and you have a 3-part harmony.   

David Lee Roth – lead and backing vocals
Eddie Van Halen – rhythm guitar and lead guitar, backing vocals
Michael Anthony – bass, backing vocals
Alex Van Halen – drums
//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1971.  Solid and heavy album all the way through.  Ritchie Blackmore is a genius on rhythm and lead guitar on this album.   Nice and balanced and tight.  I like this album a lot!  Ian Paice sounds excellent on drums on this album.  I can hear a lot of Thin Lizzy coming out of 'No One Came'.  Roger Glover sounds amazing on bass too.  Ian Gillan shines on this too with excellent vocals.  One of my favorite rock albums.

Ian Gillan – vocals
Ritchie Blackmore – rhythm and lead guitars
Jon Lord – keyboards, organ
Roger Glover – bass
Ian Paice – drums
//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1984.  It’s interesting that some vinyl has that high-pitched  tone to it.  I gotta look into that.  I think sometimes vinyl is tuned to a certain key and that’s what that high pitched tone is.  I like it in certain instances, for certain albums.  This album sounds excellent on this vinyl version.  I like the early integration of Thrash.  The rhythm guitars contain so many Thrash-inspired riffs.  This is Priest integrating the tropes of the now/the current when it comes to Rock.  A successful Reinvention.  This album and 'Painkiller' have a similar nod to Thrash: Listen/note to the emphasis on the rhythm guitar.  You can see how AC/DC strongly influenced the focus on the rhythm guitar that had a huge influence on Thrash.

Rob Halford – lead and backing vocals
K. K. Downing – lead guitar and rhythm guitar
Glenn Tipton – lead guitar and rhythm guitar
Ian Hill – bass
Dave Holland – drums

//

https://youtu.be/-wePlCVmXfo

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1968.  Young Rod Stewart on vocals.  Jeff Beck passed away yesterday.  I can hear this album come out of the album "Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton" released 2 years earlier in 1966.  So many original sounds coming out of Jeff Beck's guitar playing.   Eddie Van Halen was obviously heavily influenced by him.  Ronnie Wood is on this album on bass who later joined the Rolling Stones. 

Rod Stewart – lead vocals, backing vocals on "Hi Ho Silver Lining" and "Tallyman"
Jeff Beck – electric guitars, acoustic guitar on "Greensleeves"; pedal steel guitar on "Shapes of Things"; bass on "Ol' Man River"; lead vocals on "Tallyman" and "Hi Ho Silver Lining", co-lead vocals on "Let Me Love You"
Ronnie Wood – bass
Micky Waller – drums
//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Released in 1966.  I remember the day I bought this album and listened to it for the first time.   I was 20 years old sitting in my car listening to it in the parking lot after buying it at a record store.  And it didn't sound this good either because it was a DC/digital version.  Note John McVie from Fleetwood Mac plays bass on this album.  This album definitely sounds better on vinyl to me.  It's warmer and fuller on vinyl.  Excellent Eric Clapton performance on guitar.  This is a great predecessor album to a lot of Rock albums and Rock guitarists.  It laid a kind of blueprint/map to follow or supplement.  The entire band is excellent.  It's kind of a supergroup.  I can hear Led Zeppelin come out of this album.

John Mayall – vocals, piano, organ, harmonica
Eric Clapton – rhythm guitar and lead guitar, vocals on "Ramblin' on My Mind"
John McVie – bass
Hughie Flint – drums
//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Found the Knot, 🪢

Crap out a lot,

Weightless Ground,

Surfing on Sound,

The Listening,

Flowing,