What's your beliefs that put you away from realization?

Forza21

@Phil was right, i started to religiously pay attention to beliefs i have, and it's amazing!

If thoughts are like flies, beliefs are like honey. That's why it's so sticky, and certain thought patters come again, and again, until  false is recognized as false.

So what expectation/beliefs do you have about  self-realization?

i'll start.

For example, simple, recent thought:

"i need to meditate more so i can get enlightenment. It will solve all my problems."

it's beliefs:

There's  separated "me" , which is apart from the thought itself

That "me" is "doing" something, (it's a doer)

That "me" travels through time (time is another thought)

That "me" wants to get something which it doesn't have now ( hence it believes in lack)

That "me" puts all hope in the future, which doesn't exist

That "me" believes that there are some problems, it has, and it needs to solve

That "me" believes the solution to those imaginary problems are in something called "enlightenment" which is another thought

Enlightenment is something „i can get”.

That "me" believes, that meditation is something which is separated, it's an activity which needs to be "done" by "it". ( Here quote from Rupert - meditation is something YOU ARE, person is something you DO)

Just wow. One thought holds this many beliefs.

If you want to share, just take on thought from your experience, and write all beliefs which are held to it 🙂

Edited by Forza21

The belief that awareness/consciousness/pure wakefulness is arising from the body.

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture

I have to reframe the question.

As realization is here now. There is a Gateless Gate 

So my first attempt is "What keeps me from ..... ?" 

I dunno. Probably not much. If it's something like flying or walking through walls, I'd say causes and conditions. 

If it's "What keeps me from living a more free, liberating, equanimious life?" 

Ah. That's more like it. There's several more adjectives I can add in here: "kind" for example. I can live a more kindness filled life by being kinder. What's important to me? Your mileage may differ here. 

Finally there's beliefs that we all have. I grew up with gender and cultural beliefs. These should be looked at. I discard gender stereotypes but I've kept some beliefs, that engagment for social good is possible on the dharma path. Some cultural beliefs should be respected and followed. I wear clothing and men's clothing at that. Shawls are great. Easy to take on and off I'm a trail blazer in this area though. The last ox herding picture is "return to marketplace" and this is the person returning to the society and being ordinary. 

I brought up recently to a neighbor about a young kid, trying to sell something dodgy who when I opened the door, he opened up the screen door (!). I took this wrong Like wtf dude So I asked my neighbor how out of line was this?  My belief was that this was way out of line. 

So on the one hand, one shouldn't have racial, caste, gender, sexual preference discrimination or hate beliefs and still expect to be a realized person. I don't know of any sage who said "Love Everyone except the Jews, immigrants, gays, feminists, and libtards" On the other hand, although I'm free, I still make it to meals on time and take semi-regular showers. 

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.” ― The Buddha

Kind of the whole shebang I suspect. Why I am on this forum. Why I read all those books.

The whole story of how I discovered spirituality and this 'journey' began.

I believe some people know the truth and has it all "right". Jesus, Buddha, Phil, Neem Karoli Baba, Ramana Maharshi...

I just want to feel better. I want to at last be at peace. To relax. To be happy.

Though it seems to be an impossibility.

I'm just so afraid. All the time. So afraid. It sucks.

There must be an effortless way.

2 minutes ago, Blessed2 said:

Kind of the whole shebang I suspect. Why I am on this forum. Why I read all those books.

The whole story of how I discovered spirituality and this 'journey' began.

I believe some people know the truth and has it all "right". Jesus, Buddha, Phil, Neem Karoli Baba, Ramana Maharshi...

I just want to feel better. I want to at last be at peace. To relax. To be happy.

Though it seems to be an impossibility.

I'm just so afraid. All the time. So afraid. It sucks.

Peace or freedom comes from The real You. However, attachment with an idenficiation is the cause of suffering. 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."