[Question] Meditation - the next step

Valley2Mountain

I've been practicing meditation on and off for couple of years now and I am not satisfied with the results. At this stage, I feel I don't even know what goals I should even aim for or which technique to use.  I'd like to bump up my meditation practice. To progress towards something.

Is there a map, a guide or some kind of a progression ladder for meditation that I can follow?

Paradoxically, I heard that you shouldn't expect any results from doing meditation and just do it for it's own sake. But honestly it's hard to keep a habit without having a clear aim or results.

I feel that setting a "spiritual goal" takes away from what spirituality is. It's a gradual process with no endpoint. Don't expect wonders and soon you'll realize that your life becomes wonderful.

For a while I also wanted signs I was doing well or huge changes in my life, and nothing happened. Only when I let go of that urge, I started having experiences out of the blue and my whole life changed.

It's a kind of magic.

I don't claim any truth. I just share my personal experience.

2 hours ago, Valley2Mountain said:

I've been practicing meditation on and off for couple of years now and I am not satisfied with the results. At this stage, I feel I don't even know what goals I should even aim for or which technique to use.  I'd like to bump up my meditation practice. To progress towards something.

Is there a map, a guide or some kind of a progression ladder for meditation that I can follow?

Paradoxically, I heard that you shouldn't expect any results from doing meditation and just do it for it's own sake. But honestly it's hard to keep a habit without having a clear aim or results.

Figure out how to switch to direct experience. The direct experience is like the attention that you practiced in meditation. Its a very natural capacity people have so don't overthink it too much.

Test it here you should react the exact moment you see the color change if you react after you see the color then you are not reacting from attention or direct experience(these are just pointers there is not a name for it). 

https://humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

Then you can choose to believe that what you really are is this thing but it is not mandatory for you to use this capacity. 

After you figure out how this thing (which i believe you should know already) is still the same mindful things.

Edited by bardh

@Valley2Mountain

I really like Shizen Young's books "Natural Pain Relief" . When the goal is pain relief you can deconstruct any kind of pain that arises, even the pain of not wanting to look at the pain, or the pain of not being satisfied with results. Until the one who is in pain falls away,

Good questions to ask yourself, what results are you expecting? Why? Who/ what is it that wants that result? 

The thing is, you want the goal to disintegrate so you can just focus on Now, to start joining with What Is Going On. 

Another way to look at it would be you might wanna have a different goal depending on what you have been dealing with in your meditations, maybe you need to harness better posture, maybe better emotional awareness, or thought awareness, or better concentration. Enjoy it, and help yourself improve at enjoyin it 😊

Ten thousand tears,

One Belly Laugh.

Is satisfaction really the result of doing an action? Is meditation really an action? 

If you were satisfaction itself, already whole and fulfilled without doing anything, is it possible that that direct feeling or sense of satisfaction could seem to be veiled or covered over by thoughts that claim otherwise? And is it possible that in meditation, we would see the thoughts come up without believing in them and let them go, knowing ourselves to be that ever present background of satisfaction, unbothered by thoughts asserting that it is not. 

The satisfaction is its own reward. However if we are expecting this satisfaction later, as a result OF something, we don't enjoy the moment, and look for it as a result in the future. Meditation is just allowing the satisfaction of the now. The thoughts that it isn't present or it is found in the future veil it. When we think we have a need for satisfaction in the future, then we think we also have a need for motivation to keep us chasing what we already have. 

Youtube Channel  

9 hours ago, Valley2Mountain said:

You might like Culadasa's The Mind Illuminated.

If you feel you must. 

My POV is that goal-directed meditation practice, trying to go to some next level, is a carrot. Maps are largely bullshit. Different systems have different maps. I believe a wrong map is, or can be, worse than no map at all. With no map, you're careful and you take what happens as it is. With a map, you've got an overlay to put your experience. You're also primed to have the expected experience. Be  careful with maps. Don't get too attached to them. 

Instead, I'd recommend that you try to explore a spiritual unit. If you're into meditation, why not follow the instructions of the Buddha, the maestro of meditation -- and practice the Satipatthana, a direct path to liberation? 

My brief advice here is to check out Bhikkhu Analayo's trilogy on the Satipatthana, especially his guide to practice. See on Youtube Analayo's guided meditations on the Satipatthana. Find Joseph Goldstein's multipart series on the Satipatthana (podcasts or Youtube). I also recommend combining Metta practice, Equanimity. and Mindfulness of Breathing with Satipatthana. If you're adventurous and have got foundations down, you might explore Jhana practice, but beware of all the myths and misinformation out there concerning Jhana practice. I like Rob Burbea's lectures on Jhana on dharmaseed dot org. 

I have detailed guides, I largely wrote for myself  on these, that I can send you later if you decide to explore this,

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.” ― The Buddha

10 hours ago, Valley2Mountain said:

Welcome! 

Meditation is meditation.

Habit is a thought. 

Thoughts are ‘let go’ meditatively, by again bringing attention to feeling breathing from the stomach. 

Thank you guys for the warm welcoming and your answers😘

@Tarak Along your journey, did you experiment with different techniques or stayed with one for a long time?

@bardh Not sure I understood your example with the reaction to the color. In any case, isn't it inevitable that a certain time will pass until you press the button? If you are not reacting from successfully identifying the color, what are you reacting from?

@Loop What do you think about Shinzen Young's mindfulness practice? Should I prefer mindfulness meditation to other meditation techniques? or essentially it comes down to personal preference?

@Aware Wolf Satipatthana is a Mindfulness practice? If so, then my question to @Loop relevant to you as well. 

Is the book recommendation that you gave me connects to the other recommendations you gave me afterwards, or are those two different directions to explore?

@Phil So your recommendation is that I should explore the different meditation practices you put on the website, until something resonates with me?

13 minutes ago, Valley2Mountain said:

@Tarak Along your journey, did you experiment with different techniques or stayed with one for a long time?

Didn't experiment that much. I try to meditate regularly and some weeks are more regular than others. For me what works best is just focusing very hard on something intricate, like a flower. Looking at all the small details, realizing that what I see at that moment is one "frame" in a string of infinite moments that the flower experiences. Sometimes I become the flower and my ego, although not gone, takes a backseat for a bit. I'm trying to be full focus when doing other things, with very varying degrees of success.

I don't claim any truth. I just share my personal experience.

1 hour ago, Valley2Mountain said:

So your recommendation is that I should explore the different meditation practices you put on the website, until something resonates with me?

Yes. Also, all of those meditations are listed in an order which coincides with the Ox Herder pictures, which is like a path map. It’s just one path map, in the same way that an opinion or suggestion is just one opinion or suggestion. It’s like “I” went “there” so to speak, and made some maps that might be useful. Might exopodite, clarify, give insight and even foresight. Might help things ‘click’ more readily. But the maps are like a finger pointing to a path. You could think of them as treasure maps, in that the bigger point therein isn’t the maps at all, and certainly isn’t me - but the treasure - and you are the treasure. 

On 4/24/2022 at 4:16 AM, Valley2Mountain said:

You’re intuiting the significance of paradox. Another way to say that is, the significance of expanding the mind.

A sign of a pre-paradox / pre-expanded mind is mentally ‘seeing’ something one way, and assuming the opposite way is not as true. ‘Holding’ meditation to be a habit, the purpose of which is results… is one way of ‘framing’ meditation. Thus it likely seems that following statement is ‘less true’…

- ‘In honesty, it’s easy to let go of the belief that meditation is a habit at all, and that there is a separate self which benefits from anything at all, ever. It’s clear the ‘point’ of meditation is no longer believing in “results”. ‘

That second ‘view’ probably doesn’t sound very ‘true’. This is because it is still believed that there is such a ‘thing’ as ‘true thoughts’. This is because there is still the belief that there are, ‘things’. This is because its still believed that you, are a thing. That is due to believing thoughts. That is innocent and perfectly how it should be, because that is exactly how it is. 

So to speak, the mind likes to ‘cling’ to this view or that view and is reluctant to seeing that neither view is true. These ‘views’ are just thoughts. So really, the mind likes to cling to this thought or that thought, to believe this thought is true, but not that thought. Why? Because thoughts have been identified with, forming beliefs about who you are and what reality is. 

Meditation, and embracing paradox ‘brings about’ emotional and physiological equanimity, such that the mind is still and quiet, and ultimately thought attachment  has been completely seen through, seen for what it is, and isn’t. Then you are seen (realized) for what you are not, and what you are. But these words are just more map. Don’t expect to “get it” or “grasp” anything here with such a busy assumptive attached mind. If what’s said here is grasped, gotten, received, heard - it’s in that what’s said here is then let go, disregarded… the map is dropped… as the path is begun. To ‘drive that home’, imagine someone is pointing to a path into the woods. Don’t stand there looking at the finger which is pointing. Turn the head & the feet toward the path and go into the woods to see what’s there directly, for yourself if you will. If you get lost af, and you will, it’s nice to refer back to maps, to ask questions to those who have already made the full circle of the journey. Which paradoxically, doesn’t even exist. Likewise, ultimately… neither paradox nor ultimately exist. 

Here’s some more ‘map’, just two cents, opinion or just what comes to mind so to speak, on the map; The Ten Ox Herder Pictures & the meditations offered which coincide…

Begin at the beginning,

explore each meditation.

It would be less than ideal to meditate for a decade without any ‘breakthroughs’… only to come to realize that forgiveness (as one example) was what was most liberating. It’d be nice if there was a list of meditations you could have perused, because when you get to the forgiveness meditation, maybe you really feel something there, and resentment and confusion are transmuted by forgiveness, into understanding, clarity, compassion and feeling more alignment with betterment & well being. Are there ‘for you’ or ‘selfish’ ‘benefits’, hell yes there are, meditation will bring greater richness, fullness and enjoyment to the living of life. Is there a far greater implication, well hells yes there is, that being - there is no ‘separate self’ which ‘benefits’… that’s just the thought activity, beliefs, The Matrix (thought attachment), that there is… or ever was, that ‘you’. 

BASIC MEDITATION: POSTURE, BALANCE, RELAXATION, & BODY SCAN

ALLOWING AWARENESS & MINDFULNESS THROUGHOUT THE DAY:

EATING

BASIC RELAXATION

WALKING

MINDFULNESS OF SOUND

BODY-FEELING AWARENESS:

Meditative eating, relaxation, walking, hearing, and feeling… is so profound words can not communicate it. Words (and type / text) can only point. That is how profound the actuality is. It’s literally ineffable. A pointing - you totally believe you have eaten, walked, relaxed, heard, and felt… and it’s a lie. You haven’t. You’ve only believed the thoughts, that you have. It’s, which is actually nothing, is that profound, and yet is the most obvious simplicity possible. 

POSTURE

BODY SCAN

BODY

BREATH AWARENESS

GROUNDING

MENTAL & EMOTIONAL EQUANIMITY:

Likewise, you’ve never even noticed your posture, your breath. You have zero notion of what it truly is to be grounded, and to enjoy simply being. You’ve never experienced mental and emotional equanimity. You’ve never tasted it. 

Speaking provocatively here obviously, to ‘draw out’ some sense of the relevance here. 

You’re thinking - yeah I have. And not hearing the truth - no you haven’t. 

AWARENESS OF THOUGHTS

EQUANIMITY

EMOTIONAL AWARENESS

FORGIVENESS

Much more so - you’ve never been aware of thoughts. You’ve been assuming you are your entire life. You’ve never forgiven anyone for anything, and you are filled with resentment, animosity and anger - and you haven’t the first clue that this is true. Even as you read these words now, your mind is projecting ever single discordant sensation onto a belief that there is a Phil, and that Phil is this or that. 

(SEE THE EMOTIONAL SCALE & EXPRESSIVE JOURNALING)

ESSENCE OF BEING

Essence of being is still some dumbass new age hippy dippy bullshit to you. You’ve no idea it points directly to truth, to bliss, to your entire life experience being very literally effortless & fruitful beyond measure. You’ve no idea that the difference between a shit life and a happy, prosperous joyful experience of life lies within these maps and these meditations. You can’t see this because you’re completely conditioned. All you care about is results, and thus you’re not experiencing hardly any results at all, because you’ve been completely and entirely so fucked over by collective conditioning - that you’ve suppressed this fact and are in complete denial of this. 

HAVING AN INNER SMILE

LOVINGKINDNESS

SEEING YOURSELF WITH LOVE

This horseshit?! Forget about it. Fucking lame. Phil must be wired different, like a pussy basically, who believes in fairytales and wishful thinking. It’s probably his genetics and personality. Lucky guy. 

(SEE CONTEMPLATIONS)

CONCENTRATION
CONCENTRATION (SINGLE POINTEDNESS)

(SEE THE EMOTIONAL SCALE & EXPRESSIVE JOURNALING & IMPROV WRITING & STREAMING)

Then you ‘get to’ this point on the path, and because you inspected thoughts, A LOT of that suppressed anger etc came up & out - and in hindsight it is clearly seen you only eve fought against yourself. Not others. Not a world. Your fucking self! What a joke! In hindsight of having practiced, it’s so obvious there was never any “shortage” of focus, concentration and equanimity - there was just thought attachment, denial, delusion & suppression in the way, obstructing & obscuring the truth. “Shortage” was a belief! Lack was a belief! At this point, ‘on the path’ concentration, focus, effortlessness, equanimity and just flat out loving everything and everyone, without even trying to, which there isn’t at all and never was, is intrinsicolly blissful, every minute of every apparent day. 

BEYOND FUNDAMENTALS & FOUNDATION

DO NOTHING

SELF INQUIRY

MANTRA

At this point on the path you literally wake up laughing or crying everyday at how God damn beautiful it is that you can’t actually sleep, laugh or cry because there’s no you. 

(SEE THE IMMUTABLE LAWS)

At this point ‘your’ so to speak, true nature, the truth of you, is unstoppable. There aren’t and never were physics, a reality, problems, tension or stress, because… - you’re it! Two words which mean absolutely nothing. That there were “results”, that there was a “life purpose”, is so funny you have to be careful to even bring it to mind less “you” be laughing, crying, in prostration. 

On 4/24/2022 at 9:16 AM, Valley2Mountain said:

Personally 🙂I was trying all different methods & practices, was watching different spiritual teachers... some simple practice may be overlooked... say simple deep breath meditation. Every path is unique, just for you, listen what resonates now, do not afraid to step in to some new experience, unknown so to speak - have faith that it's all good now. Most importantly, have fun 🙂

7 hours ago, Valley2Mountain said:

Thank you guys for the warm welcoming and your answers😘

My .02 is you're free to experiment. See your meditation cushion as a laboratory. 

7 hours ago, Valley2Mountain said:

@bardh Not sure I understood your example with the reaction to the color. In any case, isn't it inevitable that a certain time will pass until you press the button? If you are not reacting from successfully identifying the color, what are you reacting from?

@Loop What do you think about Shinzen Young's mindfulness practice? Should I prefer mindfulness meditation to other meditation techniques? or essentially it comes down to personal preference?

@Aware Wolf Satipatthana is a Mindfulness practice? If so, then my question to @Loop relevant to you as well. 

Is the book recommendation that you gave me connects to the other recommendations you gave me afterwards, or are those two different directions to explore?

Analayo's Satipatthana trilogy is Satipatthana. However you can easily find guided metta, equanimity, and mindfulness of breathing on Youtube. Analayo also has a book on Mindfulness of Breathing. If you're looking for an easier, more basic entry point, try Sam Harris's Waking Up app, it has a really top notch meditation program (including a section on Metta and a section on Satipatthana). I still use it. Metta, Equanimity, Satipatthana, and Mindfulness of Breathing are like Buddha's greatest hits. 

You could spend months or years on this program. I might rotate between Metta, Equanimity, Satipatthana, and Mindfulness of Breathing and do a different one each day depending on what I feel I need. Dharma seed has a Metta retreat by the excellent teacher Rob Burbea and it might be a good entry point too. 

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.” ― The Buddha

6 hours ago, Phil said:

Yes. Also, all of those meditations are listed in an order which coincides with the Ox Herder pictures, which is like a path map. It’s just one path map, in the same way that an opinion or suggestion is just one opinion or suggestion. It’s like “I” went “there” so to speak, and made some maps that might be useful. Might exopodite, clarify, give insight and even foresight. Might help things ‘click’ more readily. But the maps are like a finger pointing to a path. You could think of them as treasure maps, in that the bigger point therein isn’t the maps at all, and certainly isn’t me - but the treasure - and you are the treasure. 

You’re intuiting the significance of paradox. Another way to say that is, the significance of expanding the mind.

A sign of a pre-paradox / pre-expanded mind is mentally ‘seeing’ something one way, and assuming the opposite way is not as true. ‘Holding’ meditation to be a habit, the purpose of which is results… is one way of ‘framing’ meditation. Thus it likely seems that following statement is ‘less true’…

- ‘In honesty, it’s easy to let go of the belief that meditation is a habit at all, and that there is a separate self which benefits from anything at all, ever. It’s clear the ‘point’ of meditation is no longer believing in “results”. ‘

That second ‘view’ probably doesn’t sound very ‘true’. This is because it is still believed that there is such a ‘thing’ as ‘true thoughts’. This is because there is still the belief that there are, ‘things’. This is because its still believed that you, are a thing. That is due to believing thoughts. That is innocent and perfectly how it should be, because that is exactly how it is. 

So to speak, the mind likes to ‘cling’ to this view or that view and is reluctant to seeing that neither view is true. These ‘views’ are just thoughts. So really, the mind likes to cling to this thought or that thought, to believe this thought is true, but not that thought. Why? Because thoughts have been identified with, forming beliefs about who you are and what reality is. 

Meditation, and embracing paradox ‘brings about’ emotional and physiological equanimity, such that the mind is still and quiet, and ultimately thought attachment  has been completely seen through, seen for what it is, and isn’t. Then you are seen (realized) for what you are not, and what you are. But these words are just more map. Don’t expect to “get it” or “grasp” anything here with such a busy assumptive attached mind. If what’s said here is grasped, gotten, received, heard - it’s in that what’s said here is then let go, disregarded… the map is dropped… as the path is begun. To ‘drive that home’, imagine someone is pointing to a path into the woods. Don’t stand there looking at the finger which is pointing. Turn the head & the feet toward the path and go into the woods to see what’s there directly, for yourself if you will. If you get lost af, and you will, it’s nice to refer back to maps, to ask questions to those who have already made the full circle of the journey. Which paradoxically, doesn’t even exist. Likewise, ultimately… neither paradox nor ultimately exist. 

Here’s some more ‘map’, just two cents, opinion or just what comes to mind so to speak, on the map; The Ten Ox Herder Pictures & the meditations offered which coincide…

Begin at the beginning,

explore each meditation.

It would be less than ideal to meditate for a decade without any ‘breakthroughs’… only to come to realize that forgiveness (as one example) was what was most liberating. It’d be nice if there was a list of meditations you could have perused, because when you get to the forgiveness meditation, maybe you really feel something there, and resentment and confusion are transmuted by forgiveness, into understanding, clarity, compassion and feeling more alignment with betterment & well being. Are there ‘for you’ or ‘selfish’ ‘benefits’, hell yes there are, meditation will bring greater richness, fullness and enjoyment to the living of life. Is there a far greater implication, well hells yes there is, that being - there is no ‘separate self’ which ‘benefits’… that’s just the thought activity, beliefs, The Matrix (thought attachment), that there is… or ever was, that ‘you’. 

BASIC MEDITATION: POSTURE, BALANCE, RELAXATION, & BODY SCAN

ALLOWING AWARENESS & MINDFULNESS THROUGHOUT THE DAY:

EATING

BASIC RELAXATION

WALKING

MINDFULNESS OF SOUND

BODY-FEELING AWARENESS:

Meditative eating, relaxation, walking, hearing, and feeling… is so profound words can not communicate it. Words (and type / text) can only point. That is how profound the actuality is. It’s literally ineffable. A pointing - you totally believe you have eaten, walked, relaxed, heard, and felt… and it’s a lie. You haven’t. You’ve only believed the thoughts, that you have. It’s, which is actually nothing, is that profound, and yet is the most obvious simplicity possible. 

POSTURE

BODY SCAN

BODY

BREATH AWARENESS

GROUNDING

MENTAL & EMOTIONAL EQUANIMITY:

Likewise, you’ve never even noticed your posture, your breath. You have zero notion of what it truly is to be grounded, and to enjoy simply being. You’ve never experienced mental and emotional equanimity. You’ve never tasted it. 

Speaking provocatively here obviously, to ‘draw out’ some sense of the relevance here. 

You’re thinking - yeah I have. And not hearing the truth - no you haven’t. 

AWARENESS OF THOUGHTS

EQUANIMITY

EMOTIONAL AWARENESS

FORGIVENESS

Much more so - you’ve never been aware of thoughts. You’ve been assuming you are your entire life. You’ve never forgiven anyone for anything, and you are filled with resentment, animosity and anger - and you haven’t the first clue that this is true. Even as you read these words now, your mind is projecting ever single discordant sensation onto a belief that there is a Phil, and that Phil is this or that. 

(SEE THE EMOTIONAL SCALE & EXPRESSIVE JOURNALING)

ESSENCE OF BEING

Essence of being is still some dumbass new age hippy dippy bullshit to you. You’ve no idea it points directly to truth, to bliss, to your entire life experience being very literally effortless & fruitful beyond measure. You’ve no idea that the difference between a shit life and a happy, prosperous joyful experience of life lies within these maps and these meditations. You can’t see this because you’re completely conditioned. All you care about is results, and thus you’re not experiencing hardly any results at all, because you’ve been completely and entirely so fucked over by collective conditioning - that you’ve suppressed this fact and are in complete denial of this. 

HAVING AN INNER SMILE

LOVINGKINDNESS

SEEING YOURSELF WITH LOVE

This horseshit?! Forget about it. Fucking lame. Phil must be wired different, like a pussy basically, who believes in fairytales and wishful thinking. It’s probably his genetics and personality. Lucky guy. 

(SEE CONTEMPLATIONS)

CONCENTRATION
CONCENTRATION (SINGLE POINTEDNESS)

(SEE THE EMOTIONAL SCALE & EXPRESSIVE JOURNALING & IMPROV WRITING & STREAMING)

Then you ‘get to’ this point on the path, and because you inspected thoughts, A LOT of that suppressed anger etc came up & out - and in hindsight it is clearly seen you only eve fought against yourself. Not others. Not a world. Your fucking self! What a joke! In hindsight of having practiced, it’s so obvious there was never any “shortage” of focus, concentration and equanimity - there was just thought attachment, denial, delusion & suppression in the way, obstructing & obscuring the truth. “Shortage” was a belief! Lack was a belief! At this point, ‘on the path’ concentration, focus, effortlessness, equanimity and just flat out loving everything and everyone, without even trying to, which there isn’t at all and never was, is intrinsicolly blissful, every minute of every apparent day. 

BEYOND FUNDAMENTALS & FOUNDATION

DO NOTHING

SELF INQUIRY

MANTRA

At this point on the path you literally wake up laughing or crying everyday at how God damn beautiful it is that you can’t actually sleep, laugh or cry because there’s no you. 

(SEE THE IMMUTABLE LAWS)

At this point ‘your’ so to speak, true nature, the truth of you, is unstoppable. There aren’t and never were physics, a reality, problems, tension or stress, because… - you’re it! Two words which mean absolutely nothing. That there were “results”, that there was a “life purpose”, is so funny you have to be careful to even bring it to mind less “you” be laughing, crying, in prostration. 

That all sounds nice, but I want a Lamborghini Aventador with crushed diamonds on the bodywork, on which half-dressed supermodels sit while I walk out with so many 24-carat gold chains that it feels like I'm walking on the moon.

You can derive it from simple logic

Left means not right