What's the meaning of Integration?

I understand the basic meaning of integration. But I have often heard people say stuff like "integrate your shadow. " Or integrate the dark side. What does this typically mean?  Are we simply incorporating a new method or do we have to do something special to make something happen when we are integrating that something?

So basically I'm an autistic INFJ BPD sigma Pisces female with anger and CPTSD issues. Wow wow. 

My plate looks full. I Couldn't have been weirder than that. Now I get why I'm so idiosyncratic. 

5 hours ago, Reena said:

I understand the basic meaning of integration. But I have often heard people say stuff like "integrate your shadow. " Or integrate the dark side. What does this typically mean?  Are we simply incorporating a new method or do we have to do something special to make something happen when we are integrating that something?

Integration is fully allowing whatever we are resisting to "come in" and no longer reacting to it or fighting it. 

This path isn't about being good, it's about Being Whole. A complete human being. And usually as a result we naturally become more benevolent. 

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture

Integration is like an attempt to make a whole pizza whole, by putting imagined separate pieces of pizza together. Or like trying to reassemble a shattered mirror, believing one will then see one’s reflection. By completely ignoring emotions and instead believing thoughts / ‘being right’, there seems to be separation / separate things / parts of oneself, which could be integrated resulting in wholeness, completeness, satisfaction or Truth. One can also acknowledge all the labels believed about oneself (already) as they arise and are felt (already), and question & dispel discordant beliefs uncovering the Truth seemingly obscured by, beliefs. Beliefs like I’m an RTGH, or I’m an Aquarius male with impatience issues, or ‘the knower’ which ‘knows there are parts of you’. 

Because advaita vedanta teaches that the ego doesn't exist, talk of integration, shadow, etc. can seem like nonsense to people who are either integrating, reintegrating, or practicing  advaita vedanta.   They're going to retort that people don't exist too.  It doesn't bother me anymore, but I can see why systemically there's an issue here.  Integration assumes there's an ego that integrates and develops, or at least can do so; and secondly, that one should value integration work and strive to do it.

💬 🗯️🤍

5 hours ago, Orb said:

Integration is fully allowing whatever we are resisting to "come in" and no longer reacting to it or fighting it. 

This path isn't about being good, it's about Being Whole. A complete human being. And usually as a result we naturally become more benevolent. 

That makes perfect sense. 

So basically I'm an autistic INFJ BPD sigma Pisces female with anger and CPTSD issues. Wow wow. 

My plate looks full. I Couldn't have been weirder than that. Now I get why I'm so idiosyncratic. 

1 hour ago, Reena said:

That makes perfect sense. 

Yes, "sense" as in sensation or feeling. Integration relates to emotion/whatever feelings arise. 

Anytime you begin to "integrate" ideas or mind stuff, you aren't actually doing any of the "work". 

We integrate whatever feelings we are trying to distance ourselves from.

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture