If you could only recommend 3 practices - what would they be?

I am sitting right now feeling really anxious because I feel I wasted my day today.

I feel there is a lot of things going on for me - I have an exam coming (which I am not studying for), I am not sure whether I want to continue with my exams since I have the first level of designation and I hate actuarial work (I had a an actuarial seminar today and I was so bored and hating every minute of it). I work as an actuary but in data science for the last 5 years, I prefer data science much more, but I constantly feel that I am not good in it since I never really invested the time to learn it since I had to study for awful/useless actuarial exams. 

Now I also need to find a remote job because I want to move to Portugal. There seems to be no remote jobs in Canada.. and I have no clue how to get a remote job in US if I am not a US citizen.. 

Canada is getting more and more expensive for me.. I paid $2 for 1 tomatoe today.. I really want to leave.. I am tired of always worrying about money and my job.. 

All this to say, I feel hopeless, but sometimes I feel euphoric.. my life flows between complete hopelessness/anxiety over all the things I have to do and random bursts of euphoric energy 

I know my brain cannot be trusted, I know I need to seriously do some practices for it, but I am lost with all the suggestions, recommendations, it’s too much for me…

So, if you had to pick just top 1-3 practices to stop feeling so miserable.. what would they be? 

Edited by Rose

I'd recommend only one; sitting quietly, doing nothing but breathing and observing. 

If that doesn't hold attention, turn it into some kind of game. I've seen it described as alien-zapping like a video game. Sitting quietly just breathing and observing...but a thought comes "thought (pew pew)" followed by leg pain "feeling (pew pew)" followed by 'boredom' "thought (pew pew)" followed by a bird outside "hearing (pew pew)"

So on and so forth. You can do it walking slowly along, also. Not to be overly complicated. Just observe everything that is. 

16 hours ago, Rose said:

I am sitting right now feeling really anxious because I feel I wasted my day today.

I feel there is a lot of things going on for me - I have an exam coming (which I am not studying for), I am not sure whether I want to continue with my exams since I have the first level of designation and I hate actuarial work (I had a an actuarial seminar today and I was so bored and hating every minute of it). I work as an actuary but in data science for the last 5 years, I prefer data science much more, but I constantly feel that I am not good in it since I never really invested the time to learn it since I had to study for awful/useless actuarial exams. 

Now I also need to find a remote job because I want to move to Portugal. There seems to be no remote jobs in Canada.. and I have no clue how to get a remote job in US if I am not a US citizen.. 

Canada is getting more and more expensive for me.. I paid $2 for 1 tomatoe today.. I really want to leave.. I am tired of always worrying about money and my job.. 

All this to say, I feel hopeless, but sometimes I feel euphoric.. my life flows between complete hopelessness/anxiety over all the things I have to do and random bursts of euphoric energy 

I know my brain cannot be trusted, I know I need to seriously do some practices for it, but I am lost with all the suggestions, recommendations, it’s too much for me…

So, if you had to pick just top 1-3 practices to stop feeling so miserable.. what would they be? 

Silence and darkness.

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

It can seem like there is so much to do and so many things to "fix". There are so many techniques and different methods. To do them all would be impossible. 

But in reality there is so much less for us to do. We don't have to have long morning routines of meditation and exercise and breathwork and tapping and reading and prayer or whatever have you. That is so much work. We don't have to do all that.

There is really only one thing we need to do, which is listening to wisdom. We all have access to infinite wisdom which is far greater than our personal mind, our tiny little pea brain with it's tiny little intellect.

Wisdom is a gentle feeling, we could call it intuition or common sense. We can hear it best when our personal minds are quiet and we're not so lost in our thinking.

One way to strengthen our access to wisdom is to listen to others sharing from that space. I recommend listening to Sydney Banks and three principles practitioners such as Dicken Bettinger, Bill Pettit, Mavis Karn, Lily Sais, Michael Neil, whoever speaks to you and brings you closer to peace.