Jump to content

Spiritual Ego Traps


spiritual dreams

Recommended Posts

The past few days, I've had a rude awakening that all my so called spiritual progress was just spiritual ego and that I was full of shit the whole time. Here are some traps I fell into:

 

1. Believing in states of consciousness. That some states are 'higher' than others. That psychedelics give you a higher state. That there are even states in the first place.

2. Conceptualizing spirituality. God realization, oneness, Infinite love, Emptiness, Nothingness, Idealism, Nonduality. All of these are mental constructs constructed by the ego. I created these mental constructs and believed I knew more about the true nature of reality than everyone else.

3. Enlightenment and awakening. The ultimate ego traps.

4. Creating a separation between awake and non-awake people. Judging others for not being awake. 

5. The I am god/solipsism ego trap I got from actualized.org

6. Thinking I'm more spiritually advanced that everyone else, pretending to be humble.

7. The 'I've seen though ego traps' trap.

 

The ego mind is always trying to sneak it's way into the back door.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spiritual ego is when you create a persona as a spiritual guru and have to pretend that your perspective is superior to other people's perspective, otherwise you can't gain spiritual authority or have spiritual expertise.  You have to convince others that your perspective isn't only useful to you, but useful to others as well.  This isn't bad necessarily, but it's something to note and to make sure you're healthy in how you go about about spiritual teaching.  It can cause suffering because it is a form of ego.  Ego run amok starts to grate on you inside.  You're feeling inauthentic and like you've gotta control reality outside of yourself.  And because you're doing it with such a sensitive subject to other people, that also factors in.  You're judging yourself always as to your own conduct.  You have a relationship with yourself.  So when you display lots of ego, you know that inside.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@spiritual dreams What do you think the ego is / means? How are those things you mention egoic in your perspective?

 

 

IMO this sounds pretty good. New perspectives. Courage. Like growing up in a sense. But not really. No-one grows up. 😂

 

Went through similar shattering of a house of cards when I left Actualized. And it's just been getting better. In fact I'm starting to get kind of grateful of the whole Actualized ordeal. Learned so much about the tricky nature of believing thoughts.

 

 

There must be an effortless way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Spiritual ego is when you create a persona as a spiritual guru and have to pretend that your perspective is superior to other people's perspective, otherwise you can't gain spiritual authority or have spiritual expertise.

 

I agree. To get more specific, I'd say it's the "I know", "I understand", "there is a knower/understander" etc.

 

It can also looke like being a follower. "I don't know, but you know better than me." Like another side of the same coin.

 

 

There must be an effortless way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, spiritual dreams said:

The past few days, I've had a rude awakening that all my so called spiritual progress was just spiritual ego and that I was full of shit the whole time. Here are some traps I fell into:

 

1. Believing in states of consciousness. That some states are 'higher' than others. That psychedelics give you a higher state. That there are even states in the first place.

2. Conceptualizing spirituality. God realization, oneness, Infinite love, Emptiness, Nothingness, Idealism, Nonduality. All of these are mental constructs constructed by the ego. I created these mental constructs and believed I knew more about the true nature of reality than everyone else.

3. Enlightenment and awakening. The ultimate ego traps.

4. Creating a separation between awake and non-awake people. Judging others for not being awake. 

5. The I am god/solipsism ego trap I got from actualized.org

6. Thinking I'm more spiritually advanced that everyone else, pretending to be humble.

7. The 'I've seen though ego traps' trap.

 

The ego mind is always trying to sneak it's way into the back door.

You had legit experiences same as me.There is truth in those experiences.You have to conceptualise to communicate to others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yea… I‘ve had that too.. mine also came with hating religious people.. hating “non spiritual” people.. weirdly I think those were all actualized.org traces and consequences 

 

As I’ve let it go (somewhat) I feel so much lighter, so much more easier, its amazing…

Edited by Rose
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, spiritual dreams said:

@Mandy Actually it was kind of a relief. But I was mostly like 'Holy fuck I can't believe I was this much of an idiot'

But yeah the crazy thoughts were just believed and identified with. 

What is left when thoughts are no longer indentified with.An Infinite self.So you are not crazy your experiences are why we do this spiritual work in the first place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alexander said:

What is left when thoughts are no longer indentified with.An Infinite self.So you are not crazy your experiences are why we do this spiritual work in the first place.

The idea that there is a 'self' which has these experiences is the illusion. The infinite self is also a thought that is identified with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@spiritual dreams it's fine happens to most on the path. 

 

essentially the work is: 

 

more feeling, less believing.

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, spiritual dreams said:

@Mandy Actually it was kind of a relief. But I was mostly like 'Holy fuck I can't believe I was this much of an idiot'

But yeah the crazy thoughts were just believed and identified with. 

The Nature of Consciousness by Rupert Spira is a great book to really drive it home if you feel the itch to do so. 

 Youtube Channel  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By clicking, I agree to the terms of use, rules, guidelines & to hold Actuality of Being LLC, admin, moderators & all forum members harmless.