Meditation

Phil

2 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

The way I meditate is I lay down on my bed and close my eyes and I set a timer for 3 hours.  Sometimes I'll still the mind but only if I have severe mental disturbance which is rare.  All I do is close my eyes and do nothing.

I do this every day at least seven hours. Sometimes 8-9.

There must be an effortless way.

If you feel the need to argue about meditation (seriously and for too long) with others you don't meditate enough IMO.  Meditation is exactly what removes that urge.  I'll say this, find out what meditation means for you.  How does meditation help me?  And keep doing that.  Take my point of view with a grain of salt too.  I'm just speaking from my experience and perspective here, but also I've been involved in self-help for a long time too so I'm not a newb at this stuff.  You must figure out what works and what doesn't work for you.  There's no authority for this, you just have to experiment, do it, and figure out for yourself what works for you and what doesn't.  I realize for spiritual and other ritual reasons people might add all kinds of things to meditation, but I don't use that and I don't need that.  Not for me.  Maybe for you though!  You have to decide that for you.  I'm telling you what I think is worth sharing period.  I'm not saying you need to replace your perspective with mine.  But I felt strongly that I wanted to add something to the discussion of meditation because it is so important to me.  For someone to meditate 3 hours a day that's valuing something.  Most people wouldn't do that.  That speaks for itself IMO.  You're just gonna have to do it and find out or not for yourself.  Nobody can tell you in advance how something in self-help will resonate with you or not.   Nobody can predict in advance what benefit something can have in advance for you either.  That would require a kind of imposition on you, a kind of speaking for you, which is ridiculous sometimes.  This is where you have to experiment and try things and see for yourself what works for you and what doesn't.  Nobody mouthing-off (including me) can do it for you, they can't!  How could they?  Nobody can do your pushups for you -- including any guru who wants to control how you think about everything.  You do have to take ownership of this work for yourself on a level; it's not the only level though.  Of course, we realize that.  Things are nuanced here as you already probably know. You're an authority in and of yourself as well -- the most significant authority, the foundational authority.  You've got to listen to, love, and value you as much as you do the other.  It's a delicate dance; but it's something that can become clearer as you walk the path.  There's a lot to talk about here which opens the door for constructive discourse on these matters.  But there are many traps along the way too as you know as I've faced myself.  Don't underestimate the traps in self-help.  They're there.  It's a minefield.  You have to have wise judgment and maturity in place in this work too if you want to keep what good you have and grow too.   That's not easy work.  It's the hardest work.  It's the most rewarding work though.  Be careful of people who need to to denigrate you to elevate themselves -- even under the guise of no self.  This damages and holds people back.  By holding people close to your vest, you're not letting them be.  I hate this; I'm onto it.   This is something I've been onto for years.  I see thru the cult leader thing.  Keep that in mind with me.  Don't mess with me.  Sorry, it has to be said sometimes.  It's like, duh!  There's a real person behind these words.  Losing your mind has cons too.  It's tricky.  Smart and wise people have a smart and wise mind.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

This thread is so funny to me because this is exactly what meditation stops from happening unless you're really charged about saying something about something.   This is an instructive thread for me as well.   You don't get better than this setup.  I appreciate this experience   It's rewarding.  Keep it coming!  Let's get the most out of this experience as possible.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I realize I could have been more sensitive in my posts in this thread because people have all kinds of things they link to/with meditation.  I was expressing how meditation functions for me and just sharing that.  If you felt like I was taking something away from you, that is not what my intent was/is.  I want to encourage meditation however you do it.  I'm not gonna ask you how you make love to your partner.  That's your business!  I value privacy.  I just wanted to share what I do because I'm open and courage is one of my strengths.  The great thing about meditation is you can try it before you buy it.  Doing something is better than doing nothing with meditation.  And weirdly and paradoxically, doing nothing is what meditation is mostly.  You're gonna have to figure this out for yourself.   I would say just do it.  Get after it.  See what happens for yourself for you.  I'm going down/up my own path and sharing from that point of view so realize that.  I'm still doing the work.  Meditation may be God for you I don't know.   Maybe you worship meditation as a kind of Divine object.  That very well could be.  Don't let me take that away from you.  I'm walking my path.   You can make up anything.  That's why realizing Infinity is relevant.  I get it.  But also you have to make room for individuals to have a say so too.   Don't forget that one.  Don't ask others to do a mind substitution for your mind.  That ain't right.  The way I deal with this is telling others up front that this is just my point of view and all I can be for you is a model for better or for worse.  I'm not asking you to replace your mind with mine.  That's what I always try to guard against as an ethical standard that I try to embody.  I want you to do you.  It's like one musician taking influence from another musician with me.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor