Meditation

Phil

Here's something I disagree with -- "the woke person is always meditating."  No way!   You're not always meditating ever.  It sounds enticing/attractive/natural on some level, but it's not right or true.   Even if you're woke AF you still need to do daily meditation.  This is a trap I'm letting you know.  You're not always meditating.  Meditating is its own thing.   Never think you're always meditating.  You're taking too high of an opinion of yourself.  You're deluding yourself there.  It's tempting, I used to say that too.  I used to parrot that.  It's a trap.  A lot of this work is getting past thoughts that other people say to try to avoid doing the work.  It's a bad influence!  Meditation is its own thing.  Imagine someone saying you're always running so everyone is running a marathon every day.  That's ridiculous.  If you think you're too good to practice meditation -- you're the kind of person who doesn't meditate.  That's it.  You wouldn't know.  You couldn't know.  But don't pretend to do something you don't do.  You wouldn't pretend to play 3 hours of basketball a day.   The master does daily meditation.  It's a given.  It's a key practice if you want to do higher self-help work.  Don't do it at your own peril.  But if you don't do it, you'll have the characteristic signature of someone who doesn't regularly meditate.  It is what it is.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

12 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Here's something I disagree with -- "the woke person is always meditating."  No way!   You're not always meditating ever.  It sounds enticing/attractive/natural on some level, but it's not right or true.   Even if you're woke AF you still need to do daily meditation.  This is a trap I'm letting you know.  You're not always meditating.  Meditating is its own thing.   Never think you're always meditating.  You're taking too high of an opinion of yourself.  You're deluding yourself there.  It's tempting, I used to say that too.  I used to parrot that.  It's a trap.  A lot of this work is getting past thoughts that other people say to try to avoid doing the work.  It's a bad influence!  Meditation is its own thing.  Imagine someone saying you're always running so everyone is running a marathon every day.  That's ridiculous.  If you think you're too good to practice meditation -- you're the kind of person who doesn't meditate.  That's it.  You wouldn't know.  You couldn't know.  But don't pretend to do something you don't do.  You wouldn't pretend to play 3 hours of basketball a day.   

It's not that you're always meditating, it's that the "you" implied isn't actually real.

Daily meditation is a very fruitful practice ime.

Edited by Orb

♾️

So what do you guys meditate for? To be more calm, less anxious, more aware, more mindful? I never stuck to.meditating, I use it as a parachute if I start feeling like something is getting to.be too much, but it sort of happens naturally, I usually wind up splayed out flat on the floor and just let it all go.

Edited by Devin

33 minutes ago, Devin said:

So what do you guys meditate for? To be more calm, less anxious, more aware, more mindful? I never stuck to.meditating, I use it as a parachute if I start feeling like something is getting to.be too much, but it sort of happens naturally, I usually wind up splayed out flat on the floor and just let it all go.

Sit down for 20-30 minutes and pay attention to sensation or the sense of your existence and you'll find out for yourself.

♾️

Misnomers; Meditation, Teachers, Nonduality. 

https://www.actualityofbeing.com/blog/2024/3/22/misnomers-meditation-nonduality

What’s the point, the relevance?

The originally mentioned misnomers, the ‘teacher’s’ insights - in accordance with direct experience - are an experience of - Beta waves.

Yet, the actual direct experience of insights is an experience of - Gamma waves.