How should we deal with criminals?

On 2/2/2024 at 3:15 PM, Blessed2 said:

Some folk go even as far as to replace the police force with social workers. That's interesting. Not sure how that would work with organized crime though.

Social workers have a place, for sure. However, there are some people who just cannot be reasoned with and, for whatever reason, just act violently. There's a place outside organized crime for the random individual being abused by their partner, for example, where physical intervention is necessary over talk. 

On 2/2/2024 at 4:22 PM, Mandy said:

In order to support a prison system, first you gotta believe that there are victims and perpetrators, then you need to believe that blame is a fixed state of right or wrong, not an emotion.

The sentencing is for everyone.

I get lost with this degree of nothingness. If your home is invaded by a violent offender...? Meditate and release blame instead of fearing for your life?

13 hours ago, A Tim said:

I get lost with this degree of nothingness. If your home is invaded by a violent offender...? Meditate and release blame instead of fearing for your life?

Fearing for your life doesn't result  in any intelligent action, and results in more danger, intelligent action happens itself. 

If many criminals come out of prison as better criminals because they have spent all their time treated like criminals, around other criminals, I don't think throwing people into prison is intelligent action. 

Youtube Channel  

On 3/30/2024 at 6:48 PM, A Tim said:

there are some people who just cannot be reasoned with and, for whatever reason, just act violently

Just to ideally trigger some unifying realization or whatnot… another interpretation which can be considered is that (othering) is what violence really is… yet this is nothing like saying “you’re violent”, or “you’re a violent thinker”, or even “some thoughts are violent” etc (violent is a thought). Reason is a very limited medium (belief) really. It’s like reasoning vs reasons. A belief loop. 

On 2/3/2024 at 12:50 AM, Phil said:

There would still be investigation, more of it & bigger & bigger picture. 😅 Maybe The Act would have media aspects. Maybe to start, 10% of the on air time is required to be community healing & well-being oriented rather than sensationalism. It could cover where the resources or centers are, air real families at both ends of a murder, talking together, sharing the reality of it. Maybe shows about deescalation, shining awareness on trauma as a community. If we wanted to go straight up Hitler with it, the Act could even require everyone to participate in some way. 

how would you deal with the people who will fight you? 

so they won't accept the system you want to implement and will do everything they can to destroy your system what will you do in that situation? 

for coding & software engineering services message me on discord

On 3/31/2024 at 8:41 AM, Mandy said:

If many criminals come out of prison as better criminals because they have spent all their time treated like criminals, around other criminals, I don't think throwing people into prison is intelligent action. 

This, I totally agree with. Prisons aren't helping anyone who enters. I still don't want people who have a tendency to abuse and kill others to wander about, though, so it appears a conundrum to me. 

Just now, A Tim said:

This, I totally agree with. Prisons aren't helping anyone who enters. I still don't want people who have a tendency to abuse and kill others to wander about, though, so it appears a conundrum to me. 

You can't think of a single option in between what prisons are now, and totally being let lose "on the street"?  I can think of, like 10, and I'm not even that smart.

4 minutes ago, Isagi Yoichi said:

you used communication but they're still stubborn and do what they want so it clearly didn't work

In this hypothetical example a false conclusion was reached (they’re stubborn) and another false conclusion was reached (it didn’t work). 

Communication does work. Stopping communication by having come to a false conclusion such as name calling or fighting, doesn’t equate to communication not working. Communication was ended, which isn’t the same as it doesn’t or didn’t work. 

2 minutes ago, Jonas Long said:

You can't think of a single option in between what prisons are now, and totally being let lose "on the street"?  I can think of, like 10, and I'm not even that smart.

By all means, trot out your ideas.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

In this hypothetical example a false conclusion was reached (they’re stubborn) and another false conclusion was reached (it didn’t work). 

Communication does work. Stopping communication by having come to a false conclusion such as name calling or fighting, doesn’t equate to communication not working. Communication was ended, which isn’t the same as it doesn’t or didn’t work. 

so if someone fought with you, will you fight back?

Just now, Phil said:

Define “fought with you” & “fight back”. Conversationally, as in arguing & debating? Physically speaking? Have a scenario in mind?

like you spoke to a person who didn't like what you said and physically attack you