Is attachment the root cause of suffering?

Someone here

I've been contemplating this recently.  I have suffering in my life . It just hit me that attachments and biases are the source of my suffering.  I want things to be certain way and anytime anything goes against my selfish interests then i experience suffering. 

But What does it matter  if I don't have anything and become a homeless nobody?

What does it matter If I suffer? What does it matter if I die?

Basically why does anything matter? 

Why is the ego aka devil in the business of carving reality into good and bad and attaching itself into good and  bad ? 

6 minutes ago, Someone here said:

I've been contemplating this recently.  I have suffering in my life . It just hit me that attachments and biases are the source of my suffering.  I want things to be certain way and anytime anything goes against my selfish interests then i experience suffering. 

Why is the ego aka devil in the business of carving reality into good and bad and attaching itself into good and  bad ? 

Simple answer.Your brain is made for survival and reproduction not for spiritual mumbo jumbo.

3 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Your mind is inherently selfish like all other minds . It's natural that you suffer for not achieving your mind's agenda what else would motivate you?

Yes so you agree that the root cause of suffering is reality not working out your way ?

But can you see the implications of that?  So basically you will suffer as long as you are alive ...because life is chaotic and random and there is no escaping that sometimes shit doesn't go your way .

5 minutes ago, Someone here said:

I wouldn't say that attachment at least in a way that you define it here. "Bias" is a second order assumption. The first order is that there is something to be biased of and someone to be biased.

I'd say the more real the world (or separation) seems, the more suffering there is.

10 minutes ago, Someone here said:

The assumption of separation.

The ego is the mistaken assumption that there is other-than-truth. That there is a second to truth.

When that assumption is believed, what follows is basically unimaginable guilt and fear. It's like you seemingly exit the Paradise.

As we take that fear & guilt to have some sort of reality, we hide from it by creating a "veil". The world is a projection of the ego, not a true world created by God.

If you really want to see all this for what it is, check out Disappearance of the Universe by Gary Renard. Though be ready to be shaken to the core. Might even need a couple of days off just to recover from the shock.

There must be an effortless way.

7 minutes ago, Blessed2 said:

I wouldn't say that attachment at least in a way that you define it here. "Bias" is a second order assumption. The first order is that there is something to be biased of and someone to be biased.

How there aren't these things ?

7 minutes ago, Blessed2 said:

I'd say the more real the world (or separation) seems, the more suffering there is.

Interesting.  Could you elaborate? 

(No offence but I was just about to type "hate to bust your spiritual disassociated bubble but the world is more real than real 😁).

But then I humbled myself. 

10 minutes ago, Blessed2 said:

The assumption of separation.

The ego is the mistaken assumption that there is other-than-truth. That there is a second to truth.

When that assumption is believed, what follows is basically unimaginable guilt and fear. It's like you seemingly exit the Paradise.

As we take that fear & guilt to have some sort of reality, we hide from it by creating a "veil". The world is a projection of the ego, not a true world created by God.

I honestly don't know what are you saying..please once again..elaborate in more simplistic down to earth way ..

11 minutes ago, Blessed2 said:

If you really want to see all this for what it is, check out Disappearance of the Universe by Gary Renard. Though be ready to be shaken to the core. Might even need a couple of days off just to recover from the shock.

Let me Google it and give a brief overview 

1 hour ago, Someone here said:

Yes so you agree that the root cause of suffering is reality not working out your way ?

But can you see the implications of that?  So basically you will suffer as long as you are alive ...because life is chaotic and random and there is no escaping that sometimes shit doesn't go your way .

Yeah I agree with you.Life is unpredictable.

3 hours ago, Someone here said:

Suffering is how some thoughts feel (discordand), but suffering doesn’t have a source. 

I've been contemplating this recently.  I have suffering in my life . It just hit me that attachments and biases are the source of my suffering. 

Be careful with claiming suffering as ‘mine’. Likewise, if it’s how a thought feels, let it be that simple. If that’s that case there’s no need to add ‘in my life’. 

Maybe there are some thoughts about ‘my life’, which don’t feel so great (discordant).

For this, there is guidance & alignment. 

I want things to be certain way and anytime anything goes against my selfish interests then i experience suffering. 

‘My selfish interests’ doesn’t feel so great. 

Preferences feels a little lighter, more open, more spacious. Yeah?

Awe. No need to shit on anyone. Especially when you’re the one feeling the thoughts, right? (Doesn’t resonate either.) 

Lil empathy & compassion goes a long way.

What are some thoughts, about what ya do want?

Which feel good, to you?

What does it matter if these are self referential thoughts, and in spite of the discord (suffering), this is going unoticed?

Maybe that there are some assumptions baked into those thoughts, is felt.

It’s ok. It’s always ok. Alignment and listening to the guidance is always an option. 

The overlooking of the discord & alignment of thoughts, is the overlooking of that there is no cause of suffering, no ego, no devil, no good and bad. 

17 minutes ago, Mandy said:

@Someone here How does one become attached to something? 

Not entirely sure . I guess by building habits . Like you taste that delicious ice-cream and then because of how I feels it becomes an attachment.  Think back when you were a child and you lose your toys and couldn't  find them anymore.  

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Suffering is how some thoughts feel (discordand), but suffering doesn’t have a source

What about physical pain ? If me knee hurts . .what does believing thoughts got to do with it 🤔

It must have a source ..the Buddha said desire is the cause of suffering. And that's basically correct.  Imagine the degree of unconditional bliss you can feel if you dropped every single wish of yours and just surrendered your life completely to the whim of the universe. 

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Be careful with claiming suffering as ‘mine’. Likewise, if it’s how a thought feels, let it be that simple. If that’s that case there’s no need to add ‘in my life’. 

Maybe there are some thoughts

Yes there are some thoughts . Like for example I'm  really really struggling in university . I don't like the major . I'm forced to study and memorise shit that I'm completely uninterested in . That's with 100% honesty is why I made this thread . Because I failed in the midterm exam and I have to re-take the entire fucking course again . 

Idk if you can give me career advice or not 

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

My selfish interests’ doesn’t feel so great. 

Preferences feels a little lighter, more open, more spacious. Yeah?

Yes . So ?...

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

What are some thoughts, about what ya do want?

Which feel good, to you?

Right now in my life all that matters is graduating college and making income ASAP.

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

What does it matter if these are self referential thoughts, and in spite of the discord (suffering), this is going unoticed?

Maybe that there are some assumptions baked into those thoughts, is felt.

It’s ok. It’s always ok. Alignment and listening to the guidance is always an option. 

If its always OK then my point holds .

12 minutes ago, Phil said:

The overlooking of the discord & alignment of thoughts, is the overlooking of that there is no cause of suffering, no ego, no devil, no good and bad

In my experience there is good and bad .

25 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Not entirely sure . I guess by building habits . Like you taste that delicious ice-cream and then because of how I feels it becomes an attachment.  Think back when you were a child and you lose your toys and couldn't  find them anymore.  

🤔

So love and enjoyment creates an attachment? Or what else is at play? Why don't most people get attached to sunsets? 

Youtube Channel  

3 hours ago, Alexander said:

Your mind is inherently selfish like all other minds . It's natural that you suffer for not achieving your mind's agenda what else would motivate you?

This is mumbo jumbo too. 

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture

How there aren't these things ?

Like a movie that plays on a TV screen. There isn't anything else than the screen.

(No offence but I was just about to type "hate to bust your spiritual disassociated bubble but the world is more real than real 😁).

But then I humbled myself. 

Awesome. This is the difference between a productive conversation and a debate. A debate assumes that there is a true thought.

Interesting.  Could you elaborate? 

You probably approve the statement that truth exist? That there is such a "thing" as truth. Obvious, right?

Truth is that which is, yes?

How could there be something other than truth?

There can't!

There is only truth, and nothing else.

And there isn't things that 'are true', there's just truth itself. Not two.

I honestly don't know what are you saying..please once again..elaborate in more simplistic down to earth way ..

Read the book!

Also might benefit from studying the story of Adam and Eve and The Prodigal Son.

cam you gimme a link to the PDF book?

That's probably forbidden in the guidelines of this forum. But one can probably find it on websites that share pirated books. You can also check Gary Renard's interviews on youtube for example, or what I've shared on this forum on the subject, and decide for yourself whether a book is worth to spend a little money on. I'd suggest to give people what they ask... If ya want money, give money.

There must be an effortless way.

1 minute ago, Mandy said:

So love and enjoyment creates an attachment? Or what else is at play?

Not sure what is the connotation of "love " implied here . But yeah ..enjoyment ..pleasure..something you get a kick of it (a high ).. like toys in case of  children. For me personally if I can't afford buying cigarettes for just a week I go mad .so it's basically the same as addiction.

13 minutes ago, Blessed2 said:

Like a movie that plays on a TV screen. There isn't anything else than the screen.

You just said there is movie playing on the screen. You just did . So then this becomes a contradiction to say there is only the screen.

13 minutes ago, Blessed2 said:

You probably approve the statement that truth exist? That there is such a "thing" as truth. Obvious, right?

Truth is that which is, yes?

How could there be something other than truth?

There can't!

There is only truth, and nothing else.

And there isn't things that 'are true', there's just truth itself. Not two.

There is both imo. There's Truth with Capital T which points basically to direct experience.  Then there is relative truth .which is supposed to be conceptual facts about the objective world . Like the sun will rise tomorrow or water statrs boiling at 100 Celsius. 

14 minutes ago, Blessed2 said:

Read the book!

Can't find a free one online. 😕 

4 hours ago, Someone here said:

What do you love most in your life? 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."