Working from home - a curse

I’ve been working from home for 3 years now. 

I was excited when working from home started, but over the years I realized it has removed all my motivation, made life kind of pointless for me at times and made me depressed at times too.

I went to the office recently, and oh man… I was so happy that day it’s crazy…

I don’t fit in ANY of my clothes anymore, so going to the office all the time is not an option for now, I feel gross and like a fat pig. I wonder if I will get my pre-Covid body now…

Covid WFH situation has also completely ruined my sleep schedule. I would wake up 2 minutes before our morning meeting and nap at lunch...  I can’t believe I’ve been living like this 

You just have to get intentional about it. Working from home makes exercise and having a really healthy come cooked diet easy and possible. It's way easier to do that while working at home compared with going to an office all day. It's all in what you do with it, just move in the direction of what you want little by little. Set an alarm for tomorrow. Do this if you want, her videos are the most fun I've found on YouTube. Buy some fresh fruits and veggies. 

Youtube Channel  

On 4/9/2023 at 10:06 PM, Rose said:

I’ve been working from home for 3 years now. 

I was excited when working from home started, but over the years I realized it has removed all my motivation, made life kind of pointless for me at times and made me depressed at times too.

I went to the office recently, and oh man… I was so happy that day it’s crazy…

I don’t fit in ANY of my clothes anymore, so going to the office all the time is not an option for now, I feel gross and like a fat pig. I wonder if I will get my pre-Covid body now…

Covid WFH situation has also completely ruined my sleep schedule. I would wake up 2 minutes before our morning meeting and nap at lunch...  I can’t believe I’ve been living like this 

At least you have morning meetings lol.... I sometimes wake up 2-3 hours after the normal time of working and just put up the hours over the night that same day. Wondering how much more crazy can it get

On 4/10/2023 at 6:47 PM, ConsciousDreamer666 said:

At least you have morning meetings lol.... I sometimes wake up 2-3 hours after the normal time of working and just put up the hours over the night that same day. Wondering how much more crazy can it get

I wish I didn’t have them though, at least that way I would get decent amount of sleep, given how messed up my sleep is these days.

Edited by Rose

@Rose

That there isn’t an actual experience of sleep, and there seems to be an issue with sleep, is a really great ‘clue’. ‘Clue’ like the white rabbit in The Matrix. Not meant in any comparative manor, only as a testimony to the worthwhileness of alignment as it relates practically in life; I’ve studied 12 hrs per day for 7 days, in addition to work, family, etc, sleeping 4-6 hours per night. Feeling great. Eating clean. Loving life. The point is it’s possible, not that I’m doing it. 

1 hour ago, Phil said:

@Rose

That there isn’t an actual experience of sleep, and there seems to be ann issue with sleep, is a really great ‘clue’. ‘Clue’ like the white rabbit in The Matrix. Not meant in any comparative manor, only as a testimony to the worthwhileness of alignment as it relates practically in life; I’ve studied 12 hrs per day for 7 days, in addition to work, family, etc, sleeping 4-6 hours per night. Feeling great. Eating clean. Loving life. The point is it’s possible, not that I’m doing it. 

I dont think i would ever be possible to do what you did and sleep only 4-6 hours. Seems i need atleast 7-8 hours to function properly. Especially doing some creative. My connection to source seems to get Cut off if i am too tired. 

On 4/17/2023 at 11:30 AM, WhiteOwl said:

I dont think i would ever be possible to do what you did and sleep only 4-6 hours. Seems i need atleast 7-8 hours to function properly. Especially doing some creative. My connection to source seems to get Cut off if i am too tired. 

I suspect it has a lot to do with how ‘sleep’ is ‘held’ belief wise (if it is at all). In terminology of an energy paradigm, energy might be expended on discord (beliefs associated with “I sleep”). A contemplative question might be what is the difference between source, sleep, and me. If all are actually one and the same, there might be less energy spent on discord. 

15 hours ago, Phil said:

I suspect it has a lot to do with how ‘sleep’ is ‘held’ belief wise (if it is at all). In terminology of an energy paradigm, energy might be expended on discord (beliefs associated with “I sleep”). A contemplative question might be what is the difference between source, sleep, and me. If all are actually one and the same, there might be less energy spent on discord. 

You could name any 3 things instead of source, sleep and me. But right, there is no difference. Non-duality boom.. Sounds like just let go of everything. 

@WhiteOwl

I guess but it doesn’t seem like it’d be relevant in the energy sense. I’m not sure letting go applies. It seems more that some beliefs, like sleep & energy, require questioning & inspecting. Thoughts, beliefs & assumptions in comparison to the actuality of direct experience. Maybe not though, there’s really no way to know. Ultimately so to speak, maybe connection vs appearance of. 

@Rose

Knock, knock, Rose.

🤍

@Phil I think that the difference there is that you had a family and it motivated you, it was your support system.

For people who don’t have that, it makes sense why the working from home isolation makes them demotivated. 

I think my motivation will come back once I start going to the office more. I think working from home is definitely, probably around 85% at fault for all my life’s misfortunes right now

Edited by Rose

@Rose

Another considerable perspective is that blame is an emotion.

The difference would be that blame, as an emotion, isn’t a duality.

That blame is felt, and is therefore is nonconceptual.

In this consideration, blame is not the result of anyone or anything.

Blame is how the thought that there is someone or something at fault, feels. 

The discord felt, but overlooked, would be the overlooking of, the discord. The overlooking of why the thought that someone or something is at fault feels, discordant. 

Same aspect put another way… the opposite of discord felt would be alignment felt, and in the inspecting of the thought & why it feels discordant, the belief, or, conceptualization is dispelled, and alignment is felt. 

The alignment felt, is with ‘energy’. 

But ‘energy’, is another thought. Another conceptualization. 

The actuality of ‘energy’ is… feeling. 

So in aligning thought with feeling, there is more ‘energy’. 

Which in actuality is, there is more feeling. 

But ‘more feeling’ as a thought, feels a pinch off too.

Because it’s yet another conceptualization of feeling, which is rightfully felt as slightly discordant.

The underlying discord would be the implication that ‘before there was less feeling and now there is more feeling’. 

This implies a lack of feeling is possible or was experienced. 

And that concept is discordant. Why? It’s yet another conceptualization of… feeling. 

In truth there never was, and never is, a lack of feeling. And feeling, ‘tells you so’, via the discord & alignment felt. 

What there is, is an experience of believing concepts, about feeling, and how that feels, to feeling. 

If I were to blame someone or something, surely worry is around the corner. 

Blame, as not-emotion, as a dualistic concept, means I was asserted upon. 

If I believe I was asserted upon, and didn’t inspect that belief, then there is worry that I could or will be asserted upon again.

If I was asserted upon and therefore could be asserted upon again, surely doubt will be felt. 

When what’s wanted comes to mind, there will be doubt that wanted can be… because I could be asserted upon again. 

As there is doubt, sure there will be disappointment. One interpretation of disappointment is that it is with, who or what I was asserted upon, by. That which ‘I worry about’, that which is ‘the cause of my worry, doubt, and disappointment’. 

But as emotion, as felt (and not conceptual)… blame, worry, doubt & disappointment are guidance. 

It’s how the thoughts feel. 

Overlooking that, the guidance of emotion… surely overwhelment is just around the corner. Discord, and momentum of, leads to, overwhelment. 

Overwhelmed yet again… frustration is felt, irritation is felt, and impatience is felt. The discord is visceral, bodily. 

Then thoughts arise about how things are hard, aren’t working out, won’t work out, etc. How other people are fortunate but I am not. How other people have support but I don’t. How isolation is the reason for how I feel, and they aren’t. Etc. These thoughts are concepts based on separate selves, and can be believed. But, if the thoughts / concepts aren’t believed, and the emotion is listened to, pessimism is allowed. (To be ‘seen’, recognized). The recognition of pessimism is the recognition that how pessimism (pessimistic thoughts) feel is discordant to - feeling. Put another way, when the thought ‘says’ pessimism… feeling ‘says’ ‘sorry, not in my nature, can’t go there’. That is discord / the experience of discord. 

But, the whole charade of conceptualizing can be let go. Likely, the challenge would then be - distraction. Anything other than feeling boredom. A screen, a person, a concept, food, a substance, sex, a belief in lack or shortage - anything but actually feeling the emotion - boredom. 

Right about here the ‘separate self’ of thought is the critical difference. For the separate self of thought must do, find or get something - to feel better. Inherent in the ‘separate self’ being ‘separate’ - the ‘separate self’ is separate, finite, limited, isolated, not enough. 

But those are all concepts too. The ‘separate self’, is only conceptual. An idea. Thoughts, believed. 

Without the believing of those thoughts there isn’t the activity of… the happening of… those thoughts… and so there naturally is contentment. 

With now, as it is. With me, as is. 

Without the belief(s) / ‘separate self’… there is no ‘separate self’ which now is not good enough for, or which is not good enough for now. No one for whom now must change or be different or improved - so ‘someone’ can feel better. 

No ‘separate self’ means no separation. This means no family, no support, no motive, no motivation - for - a ‘separate self’ - which is already - only thoughts. 

Discordant, ‘energy’ blocking - and felt - thoughts. This means no filter upon feeling. Like a river without a damn that only seemed to be there, there’s just no one to give a damn. 

If feeling contentment is a matter of letting thoughts / beliefs / concepts fizzle out… well shit Rose… that’s always possible. That’s not something someone could do. That’s not a doing or a getting at all. It’s an allowing of what already is. Motive would for someone & for some thing… and motivation would therein be away from feeling, away from the guidance of emotion. 

What ‘happens’ when one doesn’t, via the believing of thoughts, ‘move’ away from feeling? What does non-aversion really amount to?

Inspiration. 

Separate self & motivation are then clearly ‘seen’ naked, as ‘they’ are. 

Conceptual. Thoughts. Narrative. Conditioning. Discordant beliefs. 

Hopefulness naturally arises, as that is simply the nature of Self. Not the concept hope, the felt emotion; hopefulness. Because if feeling great is a letting go of discord, and not an efforting, a doing or a getting, nor an attaining or obtaining or achievement… then feeling is always readily available. And, there in no one or no thing which could rightfully be said to be the reason one can’t let a discordant thought or thoughts - go. Were there to seem to be a reason - that reason - would be - just another thought. A discordant thought. Felt. 

Well, if feeling great is always a matter of letting a discordant thought go, and never a matter of ‘getting’… this letting go can be ‘done’ anytime. 

In that recognition of truth, doubt is gone. Worry is gone. Disappointment is gone. And therein, overwhelment is gone. Frustration, irritation & impatience are gone. Pessimism is gone. Boredom is gone. Why? It was how the thoughts felt, and the thoughts aren’t entertained, believed, focused upon. 

Could these emotions ‘come back’, arise again?

Hells yes - the guidance is ever-present, always present, is presence. 

Is this a problem?

Hells no. The guidance is to - what’s wanted. 

What’s wanted surely is.. wanted… yes?

Thank God for the guidance, yes?

All day long. 

Having emptied of the discord… now positive expectations and optimistic thoughts naturally arise - and feel great. Alignment. 

Eagerness & enthusiasm are naturally felt, as the alignment is allowed. 

Why? 

Goodness. The nature of our being. 

It’s normal. Natural. What is already actual. 

Thoughts attract in kind. That is, aligned thoughts attract, aligned thoughts. As aligned thoughts congeal… backed by the clarity appearing as the thoughts… passion is felt. Passion which is like the sun - always present, sometimes seemingly blocked by clouds. Always a matter of perspective. The sun (feeling) doesn’t go away when clouds (thoughts) obscure it. It can only seem so. 

Well, that’s inherently joy. That’s freedom. That’s empowerment. 

That’s magic. 

That’s the showing up, the unfolding of, wanted. 

Alignment creates. 

That’s conscious creating. 

No catch. 

Feels Great. 

4 hours ago, Rose said:

@Phil I think that the difference there is that you had a family and it motivated you, it was your support system.

One could also believe one is motivating & supporting a family, and that the studying is a burden in addition. 

4 hours ago, Rose said:

For people who don’t have that, it makes sense why the working from home isolation makes them demotivated. 

One could believe one is a separate self, which has or doesn’t have things, like people, motive, motivation, support. 

One could believe that one is separate, and dual; motivated and or demotivated. 

One could ride that emotional rollercoaster. 

4 hours ago, Rose said:

I think my motivation will come back once I start going to the office more. I think working from home is definitely, probably around 85% at fault for all my life’s misfortunes right now

One can believe feeling is not present now, but is in a future. That one experiences misfortune. That there is someone or something at fault and to blame. 

But one is already receiving the guidance. 

Already experiencing emotions. 

One can even believe there is me, and ‘sleep’, never actually having experienced it. 

On 4/17/2023 at 5:30 PM, WhiteOwl said:

I am with Phil in this. Society has said that 8 hours is recommended because most of society lives under constant stress and tension in the system. When the body is in this state all the time of course it will have to be at least 1/3 of his life just resting.

If you function frictionless, or almost frictionless, (in other words, there is no 'mental diarrhea' going on through your day) you will not need more than 3-4 hours. 

Edited by ConsciousDreamer666

Hey Rose.  Just thought I'd give a response to your thread.  I've been working from home for 1.5 years.  Here's some pros and cons from my experience working from home.

Cons:

1. It's lonelier than going to a place where you're working with others.
  2. You don't get the motivation that rubs off on you from other people.  Sometimes this is showing-off motivation or wanting to be seen a certain way motivation.
  3. You gotta be 100% in charge of motivating yourself to work and there's no one supervising you but yourself.
  4. You gotta value taking breaks and manage that on your own.  There's less of a set schedule or routine for when breaks are taken.
  5. You gotta avoid becoming distracted with all the interesting and enticing distractions and fun things around the house that keep you from working.
  6. You gotta set non-work time boundaries so people know just like at the office you work 9-5 and take weekends completely off.  Sometimes you have to turn your phone off or hide your phone.  
  7. You gotta get used to Zoom, work-related text messages, phone calls, etc. and not being able to have in person conversations and meetings.  Work-related text messages suck because it's intrusive.  
  8. Problems sometimes emerge due to misunderstandings that come from just not being able to go speak with someone face to face.  Your means of communication are more limited because you're remote.  
  9. You might find yourself lying about what you're doing -- which I never do but a lot of people do -- which destroys trust with those who discover the fibbing.  You can do this because you know nobody can track what you're actually doing or not.  Lying at work is kinda found out and it makes the liar seem like a jerk.  
  10. It becomes harder to network and build personal connections with the people you work with or with potential new contacts.  You have to find a way to meet up with people you work with on occasion to avoid being seen as a faceless robot and them too!  It's dehumanizing to work at home or remotely to an extent.

Pros:

1.  You can work in your underwear if you want to a lot of the time.  I have almost no work clothes now.  I have clothes to go to court but that rarely happens.
  2. You save the time you spend getting ready for work, commuting to work, and commuting home from work.  This saves me several hours a day.
  3. You can take breaks, rests, meditation, or even naps almost anytime you want or at least have more freedom as to when to do so.
  4. You can work in peace in the comfort of your own home.
  5. You don't have someone physically watching over you so you can drink a beer during work hours and nobody would know.  This has cons to it too if you're an addict.  I'm not going to list this in the cons but it goes without saying.  
  6. As long as you get your work done and are available nobody has any idea what you do with your time so you have a measure of privacy which I really love.
  7. It's easier to merge your work time with the rest of your life and I find that I can do lots of life tasks while "at work" too as long as I make sure I'm accounting for my work time honestly and fairly.
  8. It's a lot more flexible.  You can work at weird and odd times and nobody will judge you for it.  You can wake up at 9 am and go to bed at 6 pm.  I get a lot done early in the morning from like 4 am to 9 am before everyone else has even started which puts me ahead of everyone.  You have more control of pacing your work which can be healthier on the mind and body.
  9. You can take care of your personal errands during the day and nobody knows about it or judges you for it -- as long as you're meeting deadlines.
  10. You avoid a lot of office politics and drama that comes from working physically around other people day in and day out.
Edited by Joseph Maynor

One more pro of working from home is I can move around and work from different spots.  I have different spaces where I work around my house.  I can work from bed.  That's kinda cool.  Get my laptop out and just start working from bed.  I have a couple of standing places where I work.  I have a desk where I can sit down.  I'm not the kind of person who likes to work in the exact same place all the time.  I like to move around.  It's kind of an energy thing.  Where I vibe to work changes from time to time.

27 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

One more pro of working from home is I can move around and work from different spots.  I have different spaces where I work around my house.  I can work from bed.  That's kinda cool.  Get my laptop out and just start working from bed.  I have a couple of standing places where I work.  I have a desk where I can sit down.  I'm not the kind of person who likes to work in the exact same place all the time.  I like to move around.  It's kind of an energy thing.  Where I vibe to work changes from time to time.

Are you familiar with Alain de botton?  I bet you'd like him.