The mind cannot serve two masters

It doesn't mean anything to me, as I am not the mind. The mind is programmed to do what it does, without an individual doer.  Basically, doing happens, without a "me" doing it.  However, I believe the saying means the mind can't serve God and money, but if all there is is consciousness/ God, then who is serving who? 😉

You're a thought. Do you think a thought is going to occupy 'no thought'.

The 'changeless' can be realized only when the 
ever-changing thought-flow stops.

There aren't two of you, you cannot think yourself. You cannot compare yourself, you cannot think a discordant thought without seemingly thinking/going against yourself, which you simply cannot do because there are not two of you. 

Eckhart Tolle's insight questioned the thought, "I cannot live with myself anymore", asking "Are there two of me, on that cannot live with the other one?" 

Youtube Channel  

There are no masters. 

In the Bible, I think the context might be, you can't serve mammon/samsara/sensuality/money and serve God. At least well with all your heart. 

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.” ― The Buddha

On 8/29/2022 at 11:57 PM, fopylo said:

Hi, I was wondering - What does the phrase "The mind cannot serve two masters" mean to you?

The creation of this thread was inspired by @Phil

For me when i try to go faster then the speed of my mind i create 2,3 minds(but this burns you). Eventually, you still go back to feeling you have one mind. 

If you sit to meditate(zazen) or notice that you can feel there is a mind sitting to meditate - this is of course normal. Because you are changing your focus in sitting. The moment you believe you can focus then you can create a mini mind that focuses. The trick is just to sit. Then you will notice that there is just one mind you are just creating more minds when you try to do smth. The point is here in “what is creating the mind”.

Not sure if i make sense but yes you should be able to feel as one without trying or meditating.