I notice a tendency to not feel very compassionate when hearing about others suffering. Thought of being a bit superior arises. Thought that they should know, or they should do things differently. Does compassion arise naturally without beliefs in the way? 

2 minutes ago, WhiteOwl said:

I notice a tendency to not feel very compassionate when hearing about others suffering. Thought of being a bit superior arises. Thought that they should know, or they should do things differently. Does compassion arise naturally without beliefs in the way? 

Why should you feel compassion for anyone? 

♾️

7 minutes ago, WhiteOwl said:

Should is not necessary, but because it feels good, and you can connect with the person. 

Why is not feeling compassion for someone else's suffering a problem or concern?

Or maybe your expression of compassion is unique and different from the flowery/warm interpretation shared in society. 

Compassion can be just listening and letting the person figure it out for themself or giving some pointers. 

Unconditional love isn't always flowery or "gushy". 

♾️

3 hours ago, WhiteOwl said:

I notice a tendency to not feel very compassionate when hearing about others suffering. Thought of being a bit superior arises. Thought that they should know, or they should do things differently.

Does compassion arise naturally without beliefs in the way? 

Yes. Compassion fills in as the belief in others is dispelled. 

52 minutes ago, Mandy said:

Can you describe an example or two of this? 

I was talking with someone random yesterday at a club and he was expressing to me and someone else that he didn't feel so good for some time. I just didn't really feel anything for him. Maybe thats fine. 

I don't want to brush peoples things off. 

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Yes. Compassion fills in as the belief in others is dispelled. 

I don't experience compassion very much and I don't see anything wrong with it. Like 2 days ago my mom was super upset about something and I didn't feel any pity or sadness or anything. 

Of course if I see someone suffering physically or in DEEP distress, there may be a response to soothe them, like a universal immune system. 

♾️

@Orb

Ime pity is more of a distancing interpretation via superiority & sadness is how a reason for not being happiness feels to happiness.

Compassion seems more along the lines of genuine empathy, kindness and sincere relating. More deeply, compassion is that there is no actual difference. Then there’s the deepest compassion, which seems more active, free & inherently exciting… loving and not caring much about thoughts. 

That the main point is others is one interpretation. Another is what pity & sadness not resonating says about the true nature, as the main point. Putting the getting out of the quicksand before the lending a hand to help someone out. Alignment and then.

The discord clarifies that’s not actually how you feel, it’s how an interpretation feels to you. Compassion wise, it seems we’re all in that same boat as far as how interpretations, beliefs, conditioning & emotions feel. 

1 hour ago, WhiteOwl said:

I was talking with someone random yesterday at a club and he was expressing to me and someone else that he didn't feel so good for some time. I just didn't really feel anything for him. Maybe thats fine. 

I don't want to brush peoples things off. 

You didn't feel anything for him, nothing arose as to encouragement, you felt superior? More description. I want vivid description. 😂

Youtube Channel  

1 minute ago, Mandy said:

You didn't feel anything for him, nothing arose as to encouragement, you felt superior? More description. I want vivid description. 😂

I did want to help and encourage him of course. I tried. Also didn't feel superior in that moment. Maybe i think i should feel some discord when feeling into people, which wouldn't make sense actually.

39 minutes ago, Phil said:

@Orb

Ime pity is more of a distancing interpretation via superiority & sadness is how a reason for not being happiness feels to happiness.

Compassion seems more along the lines of genuine empathy, kindness and sincere relating. More deeply, compassion is that there is no actual difference. Then there’s the deepest compassion, which seems more active, free & inherently exciting… loving and not caring much about thoughts. 

That the main point is others is one interpretation. Another is what pity & sadness not resonating says about the true nature, as the main point. Putting the getting out of the quicksand before the lending a hand to help someone out. Alignment and then.

The discord clarifies that’s not actually how you feel, it’s how an interpretation feels to you. Compassion wise, it seems we’re all in that same boat as far as how interpretations, beliefs, conditioning & emotions feel. 

Hm, I guess fundamentally I think trying to be compassionate or acting compassionate is horrific to put it dramatically. 

I was talking to a guy who's been through a lot, and I felt like I was bonding with him and felt compassion. 

But I don't see it as a goal to be a compassionate self or anything like that.

♾️

15 hours ago, WhiteOwl said:

I did want to help and encourage him of course. I tried. Also didn't feel superior in that moment. Maybe i think i should feel some discord when feeling into people, which wouldn't make sense actually.

I'm not sure why this is the example you made the generalization of your OP about, doesn't seem to fit

Or is it that you're uncomfortable sharing on the forum because of what we might think? 

Youtube Channel  

16 hours ago, Orb said:

Hm, I guess fundamentally I think trying to be compassionate or acting compassionate is horrific to put it dramatically. 

Yeah. Feels… discordant / contrived? 

16 hours ago, Orb said:

I was talking to a guy who's been through a lot, and I felt like I was bonding with him and felt compassion. 

But I don't see it as a goal to be a compassionate self or anything like that.

The separate self of thought is a slippery sneaky slope. 😅 

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Yeah. Feels… discordant / contrived? 

The separate self of thought is a slippery sneaky slope. 😅 

Yes, feels contrived. 

I guess right now I'm diving into complete dispassion in order to "know" what it tastes like, it's part of wisdom.

♾️

On 3/31/2024 at 2:39 PM, Mandy said:

I'm not sure why this is the example you made the generalization of your OP about, doesn't seem to fit

Or is it that you're uncomfortable sharing on the forum because of what we might think?

It was just one example that came to mind that was recent, the thread was about other situations also, i thought it was a bit similar. I am surely not uncomfortable sharing here at all, i would say obviously lol. 

I am not completely clear what i am asking though. Will get back if it gets