Why are religions so obsessed with behaviour?

Blessed2

There's a TikTok channel of the finnish church and their videos sometimes pop on my phone. They're directed toward the youth and the videos are usually of a priest who answers a question "Is it okay to (x)?". It's like a series of videos they're doing, and it always starts with a question like that. "Is it okay to do (x)?"

The videos are fine, they're not pushing some extreme religious views or anything. But it still makes me wonder, isn't it kind of odd for the videos to be all about what is okay and what is not? Like for example today I saw a video about whether wearing makeup is okay or not. The priest answered that yes, it's okay, but still, such an odd video when you think about it. Is that really what the faith is about? What's okay and what's not?

Why not videos like on AoB or Thich Nhat Hanh? Why not just general advice on how to live good life, feel better, alleviate suffering?

I feel like religions are like super obsessed with what's okay and what's not. Why is that? Where is it coming from?

Why does it seem like people in general are often so obsessed with right and wrong etc?

And why is it that on AoB, Thich Nhat Hanh or Rupert Spira the subject matter of if something is okay or not doesn't come up?

Edited by Blessed2

There must be an effortless way.

On 10/17/2023 at 1:32 AM, Blessed2 said:

There's a TikTok channel of the finnish church and their videos sometimes pop on my phone. They're directed toward the youth and the videos are usually of a priest who answers a question "Is it okay to (x)?". It's like a series of videos they're doing, and it always starts with a question like that. "Is it okay to do (x)?"

The videos are fine, they're not pushing some extreme religious views or anything. But it still makes me wonder, isn't it kind of odd for the videos to be all about what is okay and what is not? Like for example today I saw a video about whether wearing makeup is okay or not. The priest answered that yes, it's okay, but still, such an odd video when you think about it. Is that really what the faith is about? What's okay and what's not?

Why not videos like on AoB or Thich Nhat Hanh? Why not just general advice on how to live good life, feel better, alleviate suffering?

I feel like religions are like super obsessed with what's okay and what's not. Why is that? Where is it coming from?

Why does it seem like people in general are often so obsessed with right and wrong etc?

And why is it that on AoB, Thich Nhat Hanh or Rupert Spira the subject matter of if something is okay or not doesn't come up?

Religions attached with beliefs, thinking. Path is completelyetting go all of these. 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

On 10/16/2023 at 6:32 PM, Blessed2 said:

Why not videos like on AoB or Thich Nhat Hanh?

Direct experience vs conjecture. 

Why not just general advice on how to live good life, feel better, alleviate suffering?

These are conjecture not direct experience. 

I feel like religions are like super obsessed with what's okay and what's not.

Why is that?

Unrealized fear. 

Where is it coming from?

Direct experience reveals conjecture is conditioning which doesn’t come from anywhere or anyone. 

Direct experience reveals & dispels what & how. Why is based on conjecture. 

The conjecture is based on direct experience. 

I think everyone is secretly behavior conscious, but a lot of people try to hide this.  But when things get real, you'll see everyone has a moral ego deep down.  And we take our morals to be truths too, or at least we like to think we're honoring truth when we're really just honoring some perspective.  We want to feel like we're justified in feeling some way about usually other people's conduct (less so about our own).  I can see a moral ego in every person I've ever met.  They may talk differently, but observe their conduct especially when they are stressed about someone else.

Edited by Joseph Maynor