Why do I Fear Success?

I'll add more context later as I'm at work rn but yea that's the general point.

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture

10 hours ago, Phil said:

Do you fear success (as a thing) or do you experience emotion fear alongside a connotation about success?

Success is very snowflake. What comes to mind as to what success is? 

I experience fear. 

Success is making more money and taking more risks and also being more responsible.

13 hours ago, Jonas Long said:

Because it amounts to change and people fear change. 

Change is a scary thing for some people. Ive gone through it so many times so I should be able to tolerate this. 

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

3 hours ago, Orb said:

I experience fear. 

Success is making more money and taking more risks and also being more responsible.

Making more money is making more money. Taking more risks is taking more risks. Being more responsible is being more responsible. 

How is any of that success, such that the guidance of fear is felt?

There must be something interpretation wise which is being added. 

It might be as simple as believing you know what’s going to happen, even though the belief doesn’t resonate. The peace would be that you actually don’t know. The joy would be consciously creating, which is only ever possible now. The concept of success might be covering this up mentally and emotionally. 

@Phil I dont knwo whats gonna happen, nothing is guaranteed. Ive been getting rejected a lot lately by companies and girls. 

but im still gonna keep going! 

I'll add my 2 cents in from my experience.  You don't fear success, you fear what you think is necessary to attain success.  You fear the changes you think you will need to make to succeed.  Your mind makes it seem like in order to succeed, you will need to endure a huge amount of pain.  This is half true.  Why?  Because you would already have the success otherwise.  If it were a no brainer and easy you would just go ahead and do it now.  The barrier between you and success is a bunch of cause and effect relations that you can't have other systems do for you.  You must do them.  That's scary because it seems like a lot of work.  Self-help is about doing those things and the requirements for you doing them.  Yeah it's work, but life is work.  You make a good plan, you get your resources in order, and you get started, and you persistently see it through to the end.  You have to take responsibility and do the work.  It's like an exercise routine, there's no easy way to do your workout.  Some of this is developing a healthier relationship with pain and adversity to where you're kinda married to it instead of divorced from it.  No pain no gain.  Things that are rare and valuable are that way because they require a measure of pain and delayed gratification to achieve.  They're not low hanging fruit, they require a plan, waiting, action, more waiting, more action, and then maybe if you're lucky finally success.

@Joseph Maynor a lot of this resonates, thanks a lot!!

8 hours ago, Orb said:

@Joseph Maynor a lot of this resonates, thanks a lot!!

Developing a healthy relationship with pain is something I had to learn.  This can be extended to adversity in general.  I solved this by starting a daily physical exercise routine.  Also getting of alcohol really helped me because it was killing my energy and self-esteem.  Also, I have specific goals set for what I want.  Put your goals and your vision in writing.  If you can't envision yourself with success, deal with that issue along the way!  You have to be able to see yourself getting the success you dream about and later write down and get after.  Dreaming is different than writing down specific goals.  

There's a great book "The Obstacle Is The Way" by Ryan Holiday I just read which is excellent.  It's free on YouTube right now in audiobook form.  

"The most you'll ever get is what you ask for" - Dr. Phil

4 hours ago, Blessed2 said:

@Orb Something that intuitively comes to mind is the 5am club. Basically, wake up at 5am every day.

As rest of the world sleeps, there's only you to focus on.

Nothing against this, but doesn't it even out? You'll also end up sleeping when the world is awake...so by the same logic you'll "lose" that time other people have?  Not to mention, people in different parts of the world will always be awake...does it work if you stay up later than everyone else too?  And if theres a "club" then doesn't that defeat the "exclusivity" angle.... I don't really get the logic of this I guess 🤷 

46 minutes ago, Jonas Long said:

Nothing against this, but doesn't it even out? You'll also end up sleeping when the world is awake...so by the same logic you'll "lose" that time other people have?  Not to mention, people in different parts of the world will always be awake...does it work if you stay up later than everyone else too?  And if theres a "club" then doesn't that defeat the "exclusivity" angle.... I don't really get the logic of this I guess 🤷 

Nope, psychological, it's like dressing for success, going to bed early is getting a head start for tomorrow. It's a drastically different feeling for me.

1 hour ago, Jonas Long said:

Dunno, just feeling into a visualization of waking up early to meditate, work out and study, and then going to school/work. Versus waking up an hour or one and a half before work. The vibe is totally different.

The one where you wake up early feels kind of like more focus on you, your dreams / meaning. There's something passionate about it. Whereas just waking up to get to work makes it feel like mornings are just this meaningless spot in time.

It's like waking up for yourself vs. waking up for work.

Edited by Blessed2

There must be an effortless way.

Just now, Blessed2 said:

Dunno, just feeling into a visualization of waking up early to meditate, work out and study, and then going to school/work. Versus waking up an hour or one and a half before work. The vibe is totally different.

The one where you wake up early feels kind of like more focus on you, your dreams / meaning. There's something passionate about it. Whereas just waking up to get to work makes it feel like mornings are just this meaningless spot in time.

I'm a night person myself.  I get more done late at night.  Maybe it's not a one-size-fits-all?