A Wise Zen Masters Answer to the Purpose of Life

Orb

A zen student once went up to an old zen master and asked him the purpose of life, the Master said "Play".ย 

ย 

The student walked away disappointed ๐Ÿ˜‚.

Edited by Orb

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

-ย A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture

Idk what's funnier. The zen masters answer or the students response ๐Ÿ˜„.

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

@Eothasian hm, he took it too seriously.ย 

ย 

he was like fuck this! Crazy old man!

@Eothasian exactly ๐Ÿ™‚.

ย 

What I find funny is that the old zen master gave a childish answer.ย 

@Eothasian yes for sure, so cool that you got it! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

ย 

You're fucking awesome! ๐Ÿฅณ

@Mandy banned

Posted (edited)

We all play in our own way, don't we?ย  It's when you attach to play I think where the trap lies.ย  Play is not an attachment to play.ย  People who attach to play are like people who attach to anything else, they're dogged about it, they're controlling with it.ย  But what the Zen Master is talking about is Play not play.ย  He's talking about Transcendence.ย  He's talking about letting things be and looking at things through the lens of play as opposed to being transfixed on Truth.ย  It's a pointer when you have ears for that kind of teaching or when you're resonating with that kind of teaching.ย  Fun is fingers in the eyes to pretentious Truth stick up the rear, just ask any comedian.ย  Fun and Truth sit in a kind of weird relation, they're both here, so on some level they both have a say so, but how do they relate?ย  They seem to.ย  They merge on some level too.ย ย 

Edited by Joseph Maynor

๐Ÿ’ฌย ๐Ÿ—ฏ๏ธ๐Ÿค

On 8/22/2022 at 5:19 PM, Orb said:

A zen student once went up to an old zen master and asked him the purpose of life, the Master said "Play".ย 

ย 

On 8/29/2022 at 8:01 PM, Mandy said:

How dare you make a mockery of this work?ย 

ย 

On 8/29/2022 at 8:11 PM, Orb said:

banned

ย 

There's a joke about 'truth or dare'ย somewhere here, but I'm too tired to come up with one.

ย 

ย 

There must be an effortless way.

This is almost two years old why you gotta bring it back ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ™

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 12:58 PM, Orb said:

This is almost two years old why you gotta bring it back ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ™

ย 

Is there a problem with bringing back old threads?ย  I don't see the issue.ย  It's like a problemless problem to keep with the Zen theme.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

๐Ÿ’ฌย ๐Ÿ—ฏ๏ธ๐Ÿค

1 minute ago, Joseph Maynor said:

ย 

Is there a problem with bring back old threads?ย  I don't see the issue.

Nah, just felt weird revisiting what 2 years younger Orb posted. ๐Ÿ˜…