Do supplements really work?

I'm thinking of buying some supplements these days. I'm missing tons of stuff in my diet, I'm pretty sure about that. I just don't really know what to think of these chemicals... do they really work? I'm assuming it's not the same as if I was to get all that stuff through actual, healthy food, but I'm not exactly in the position right now where I can have a super rich and diverse diet. That's a few more chapters ahead. 

So yeah, supplements seem like a cool 'shortcut' to me. A temporary solution. I just don't really vibe with the idea of it being artificially produced in a lab.

What is your experience with that stuff? Did it actually make you feel better and be healthier?

If so, what are all the kinds of supplements that I should consider taking? What's everything that my body needs? 

Thanks!

5 hours ago, ivankiss said:

I'm thinking of buying some supplements these days. I'm missing tons of stuff in my diet, I'm pretty sure about that. I just don't really know what to think of these chemicals... do they really work? I'm assuming it's not the same as if I was to get all that stuff through actual, healthy food, but I'm not exactly in the position right now where I can have a super rich and diverse diet. That's a few more chapters ahead. 

So yeah, supplements seem like a cool 'shortcut' to me. A temporary solution. I just don't really vibe with the idea of it being artificially produced in a lab.

What is your experience with that stuff? Did it actually make you feel better and be healthier?

If so, what are all the kinds of supplements that I should consider taking? What's everything that my body needs? 

Thanks!

Just my 2cents but supplements, in terms of nootropics, I don’t think are worth it. I used to use a lot of different nootropics to feel good and looking back it was just a way to avoid the negative feelings I had at the time instead of inspecting.

one supplement I think is very effective is creatine especially if you follow a vegetarian or vegan diet. Plenty of studies have shown a significant cognitive increase in vegetarians who supplement with creatine. Creatine is only found in meat so if you eat a lot of meat it’s less important.

@Mandy I see. Well, I eat mainly in the restaurant where I now work. Quality meat and fish, and quite a lot of carbs. Here and there a salad. Some dairy products and sugary drinks.

Little to no fruits and veggies. (don't judge haha!) 

In the morning I often feel like I have low blood pressure. I thought of iron deficiency. 

I'm on a 'bulking diet' right now, so  I need meat and carbs. But I know there's also tons of other stuff that my body needs. Aiming for some sort of a balance.

@ivankiss That sounds pretty good to me, I'd definitely get some fruit and veggies when you can though. 😉 I think that vitamins are best used for when you know you aren't getting a lot of something, for example if you are vegan take B12, if you live up north and don't get much sun take vitamin D, etc. I wouldn't worry unless you have a reason to think you aren't getting enough of something. 

I take zinc, b12, vitamin d, barley grass powder and spirulina right now. I don't think any of them are really that necessary though and if I was short on money I wouldn't worry about going without. With that said, health in general should be our priority because health is prior to our ability to work and enjoy our work and the fruits ( no pun intended) of it. 

Youtube Channel  

@Mandy Cool, thanks.

I think having an apple or an orange and some lemon juice in the morning could already do a lot for me. Also; a salad every day as a side dish. That I can do, I suppose.

What about nuts and seeds though? Am I missing some stuff by not eating those at all?

The more I read about nutrition, the more it seems like I'm missing a bunch of stuff haha! Overall I feel good, just a bit drained here and there. And I usually need at least an hour to fully wake up in the morning lol. Don't drink coffee though, so that kinda makes sense haha!

7 hours ago, ivankiss said:

@Kevin Thanks. I had a thought or two about nootropics too, just because I wanted a bit more clarity and a sharper focus... but mainly, in this post I was curious about basic stuff like vitamins, minerals, protein, omega3 and whatnot... is it all bs, or should I consider taking that stuff?

My thought on dietary supplements are that they are effective if you aren’t getting enough to begin with. So if you don’t eat a lot of meat a protein powder may be good.