A question about auditory hallucinations and shaking at night.

Kevin

So this has been happening intermittently for years now but it’s been becoming more intense and idk why I’ve never mentioned it to anyone or asked about it before. But tonight as I’m currently trying to sleep it’s more intense than ever before. Basically when I turn on the lights and lay down, my body will slip into sleep paralysis and I’ll start to hear things and sometimes I’ll see things and my body will start to vibrate. Also as this happens I usually feel fear so I try and pull myself out of it. How it’s evolved over time is that years ago when it started the fear was incredibly intense so I’d try and shake myself out of it quickly.

Tonight I realize the fear is significantly decreased although it’s still there. I’ve been trying to fall asleep for the last 45 minutes and I’ve been slipping in and out of the vibrating and sleep paralysis the whole time. And as I’ll be vibrating I’ll hear conversation. Like people talking although I’m not sure what they are saying. Also I saw the outline of someone staring down at me. Like just a little bit of the edge of their skin.

Not sure what it’s all about although I guess it feels a little bit cathartic but also scary. Does anyone relate or have any idea what it’s about.

Pretty common sleep paralysis experience.

You can prevent it by lowering stress and fixing your sleep schedule and sleep quality. Those are the common causes.

IME, the best way to escape the sleep paralysis is to keep your eyes closed, stay calm, imagine things that make you feel calm (cute animals, romantic interests), and try to regain movement in your body while doing that. Try your best to move while being calm and the movement will wake you.

If you envision yourself "moving into" your imagination while your eyes are closed, what can also happen is that you suddenly find yourself "inside the imagination", which is actually just a lucid dream, and that's how you would typically use sleep paralysis as a gateway for lucid dreaming.  This is a pretty cool possibility and can be pretty fun to do, so it might be the saving grace. Just imagine a situation you find pleasurable and just really focus on being in it, until you really are in it.

In regards to the shaking, I've anecdotally heard that this indicates the starting stage of astral projection, if such a thing exists.

Edited by Enlightened Cat

Describe a thought.

What if there’s no problem, no approach, and therefore no resolution needed, applicable, or even possible?

As in, what is already the case is simply already the case - nothing is happening.

More specifically, the notion that some thing is presently happening is itself just an appearance. Nothing is truly happening. So, the idea that things have been happening for years is also just a present appearance, not some thing real or enduring.

The reason it’s never been mentioned or asked about before is simple - there’s no one to mention it to or ask, and there is no before. There’s only this present appearance, which isn’t a thing that’s happening.

Since sleep would imply some thing happening (sleep), there isn’t that either. There’s just the presently appearing notion that there’s a separate self who sleeps and knows of sleep - but neither are real. These are just apparent beliefs, and not events occurring.

Thus, no one is turning on lights, as there are no lights. There’s no one with a body, no body slipping into any thing. There’s no sleep or sleep paralysis, because there isn’t a separate self or a real experience to move into or out of.

Similarly, no one is hearing or seeing things, as there’s no body vibrating. These are all just appearances, and more so one seamless appearance - which is already complete and whole as it is.

Since there is no real time or separate someone in time, there is no one feeling fear or trying to escape - any thing. The "one" who tonight “realized” some thing about fear, and the ‘sense that fear increases or decreases’, is itself an illusion. Fear is as illusory as the notion of someone for whom "years ago" exists. If nothing’s happening, then no one is vibrating, no conversations are being heard or experienced, and no outlines or people exist.

It’s not about some thing happening. It’s about the fact that there isn’t any thing happening at all.

And if nothing is happening, there’s no one here.

So, there’s no reality to relate to, no one to relate, nor have or share any ideas about, any of it - which there isn’t. 

Find out what they're saying. What's the message? 

Like the theme of this movie, the ghosts seem to be the problem, but in reality are the message and the guidance. Ultimately the ghosts are the feeling, emotion and the relationship to belief interfering and it appearing as suffering, not the words in the message.

Youtube Channel  

7 hours ago, Enlightened Cat said:

Pretty common sleep paralysis experience.

You can prevent it by lowering stress and fixing your sleep schedule and sleep quality. Those are the common causes.

IME, the best way to escape the sleep paralysis is to keep your eyes closed, stay calm, imagine things that make you feel calm (cute animals, romantic interests), and try to regain movement in your body while doing that. Try your best to move while being calm and the movement will wake you.

If you envision yourself "moving into" your imagination while your eyes are closed, what can also happen is that you suddenly find yourself "inside the imagination", which is actually just a lucid dream, and that's how you would typically use sleep paralysis as a gateway for lucid dreaming.  This is a pretty cool possibility and can be pretty fun to do, so it might be the saving grace. Just imagine a situation you find pleasurable and just really focus on being in it, until you really are in it.

In regards to the shaking, I've anecdotally heard that this indicates the starting stage of astral projection, if such a thing exists.

For sure yeah it’s just strange how easy I slip into it now. I’ve been having sleep paralysis for years but it’s becoming crazier and crazier

6 hours ago, Phil said:

What if there’s no problem, no approach, and therefore no resolution needed, applicable, or even possible?

As in, what is already the case is simply already the case - nothing is happening.

More specifically, the notion that some thing is presently happening is itself just an appearance. Nothing is truly happening. So, the idea that things have been happening for years is also just a present appearance, not some thing real or enduring.

The reason it’s never been mentioned or asked about before is simple - there’s no one to mention it to or ask, and there is no before. There’s only this present appearance, which isn’t a thing that’s happening.

Since sleep would imply some thing happening (sleep), there isn’t that either. There’s just the presently appearing notion that there’s a separate self who sleeps and knows of sleep - but neither are real. These are just apparent beliefs, and not events occurring.

Thus, no one is turning on lights, as there are no lights. There’s no one with a body, no body slipping into any thing. There’s no sleep or sleep paralysis, because there isn’t a separate self or a real experience to move into or out of.

Similarly, no one is hearing or seeing things, as there’s no body vibrating. These are all just appearances, and more so one seamless appearance - which is already complete and whole as it is.

Since there is no real time or separate someone in time, there is no one feeling fear or trying to escape - any thing. The "one" who tonight “realized” some thing about fear, and the ‘sense that fear increases or decreases’, is itself an illusion. Fear is as illusory as the notion of someone for whom "years ago" exists. If nothing’s happening, then no one is vibrating, no conversations are being heard or experienced, and no outlines or people exist.

It’s not about some thing happening. It’s about the fact that there isn’t any thing happening at all.

And if nothing is happening, there’s no one here.

So, there’s no reality to relate to, no one to relate, nor have or share any ideas about, any of it - which there isn’t. 

Very confusing. I’ve been sitting at home for the last 4 days because I hurt my jaw and I’ve been in a lot of pain. Maybe if I read this when I’m feeling really joyful it would hit different.

4 hours ago, Mandy said:

Find out what they're saying. What's the message? 

Like the theme of this movie, the ghosts seem to be the problem, but in reality are the message and the guidance. Ultimately the ghosts are the feeling, emotion and the relationship to belief interfering and it appearing as suffering, not the words in the message.

Hm well I was thinking that maybe I should just relax into the vibrating and the fear when it happens. Maybe the vibrating is some kind of tension release that wants to happen and every time I try and stop it I’m interrupting the process. Idk though.

10 hours ago, Kevin said:

Does anyone relate

Yeah, weird stuff like that can sometimes happen before falling asleep.

I have experienced sleep paralysis maybe once or twice. Also some hallucinations are fairly common. Not just for me, but for all of us from what I've heard. Just a few nights ago I saw some really weird hallucination while falling asleep.

Are you using any psychoactive substances? Alcohol, drugs, caffeine, even nicotine? Melatonin, valeriana? Psych meds? Could have something to do with those.

56 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Maybe the vibrating is some kind of tension release that wants to happen and every time I try and stop it I’m interrupting the process.

That's a very interesting thought/interpretation.

It seems like often life/spirituality is believed to be like fighting the dragon. Like the dragon in the cave, and the knight who comes to save the beautiful woman. The knight has to face all the fear and kill the monster. As if it's all about "facing our fear", and not being guilty of giving up and running away. Wouldn't that be the ultimate sin?

I am the playful and ever-present Source, joyfully embracing every thought and emotion as part of my perfect, unfolding co-creative dream.

3 hours ago, judy said:

it sounds like the onset of an out of body experience. maybe setting some sort of intention while in that state can be helpful, for example saying you want to be able to see more clearly what's going on around you.

That’s a great point. Years ago I tried to trigger an out of body experience and it took me so long to get to the body vibration stage. One night I laid there for over an hour trying to get the body vibrations. Now it happens so quickly. I should definitely try and roll out of my body next time.

17 hours ago, Kevin said:

Yes. It still really seems like that. And I’m in quite a bit of physical pain and discomfort so it seems like everything is more intense right now.

Is there open-mindedness, such as or to the degree that it could be considered, there is not an experience of some thing, and therein nor of every thing? And more so, that these are the beliefs playing out as the appearance described in the op?

On 9/23/2024 at 8:50 AM, Phil said:

Is there open-mindedness, such as or to the degree that it could be considered, there is not an experience of some thing, and therein nor of every thing? And more so, that these are the beliefs playing out as the appearance described in the op?

Yes I guess that’s probably it.

On 9/22/2024 at 11:38 AM, Blessed2 said:

Yeah, weird stuff like that can sometimes happen before falling asleep.

I have experienced sleep paralysis maybe once or twice. Also some hallucinations are fairly common. Not just for me, but for all of us from what I've heard. Just a few nights ago I saw some really weird hallucination while falling asleep.

Are you using any psychoactive substances? Alcohol, drugs, caffeine, even nicotine? Melatonin, valeriana? Psych meds? Could have something to do with those.

I was prescribed Percocet so that is probably having an impact. I have definitely noticed melatonin also makes it far more likely to experience sleep paralysis. Some of my friends have mentioned this too.

On 9/22/2024 at 11:38 AM, Blessed2 said:

That's a very interesting thought/interpretation.

It seems like often life/spirituality is believed to be like fighting the dragon. Like the dragon in the cave, and the knight who comes to save the beautiful woman. The knight has to face all the fear and kill the monster. As if it's all about "facing our fear", and not being guilty of giving up and running away. Wouldn't that be the ultimate sin?

Damn thats an interesting point. The hero’s journey archetype has always seemed so important. Maybe it’s not? To be honest I have no idea.

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

Damn thats an interesting point. The hero’s journey archetype has always seemed so important. Maybe it’s not? To be honest I have no idea.

Some of the most enlightening words I've ever read:

⁶For when the recognition dawns clearly, you will not be deceived by any form the ego takes to protect itself from your sight. ⁷Each form will be recognized as but a cover for the one idea that hides behind them all; that love demands sacrifice, and is therefore inseparable from attack and fear. ⁸And that guilt is the price of love, which must be paid by fear. How fearful, then, has God become to you, and how great a sacrifice do you believe His Love demands! ²For total love would demand total sacrifice. (ACIM, T-15.X.6:6-8;7:1-2)

also

⁴The gifts you offer to the ego are always experienced as sacrifices, but the gifts you offer to the Kingdom are gifts to you. (ACIM, T-7.VII.11:4)

Maybe there's something for you there, maybe not.

I am the playful and ever-present Source, joyfully embracing every thought and emotion as part of my perfect, unfolding co-creative dream.

21 minutes ago, Blessed2 said:

Some of the most enlightening words I've ever read:

⁶For when the recognition dawns clearly, you will not be deceived by any form the ego takes to protect itself from your sight. ⁷Each form will be recognized as but a cover for the one idea that hides behind them all; that love demands sacrifice, and is therefore inseparable from attack and fear. ⁸And that guilt is the price of love, which must be paid by fear. How fearful, then, has God become to you, and how great a sacrifice do you believe His Love demands! ²For total love would demand total sacrifice. (ACIM, T-15.X.6:6-8;7:1-2)

also

⁴The gifts you offer to the ego are always experienced as sacrifices, but the gifts you offer to the Kingdom are gifts to you. (ACIM, T-7.VII.11:4)

Maybe there's something for you there, maybe not.

That’s actually so beautiful. It perfectly describes the misunderstanding.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

What happened with your jaw? What was the injury?

It’s a really dumb injury actually. I did mdma last week and my jaw has felt off/misaligned for years now. Basically when I was on mdma my jaw kept clenching and since it was misaligned I kept biting my cheek. So I tore up the inside of my mouth so that hurt a lot. Something else happened though because besides the inside of my mouth being chewed up, my jaw on the right side was super swollen. It looked like I got punched.

It doesn’t sound that bad but I was in a shocking amount of pain. Today is the first day we’re it’s started to feel better.