Letting go of Visual Thoughts

Orb

I just realized today that a lot of the discordant thoughts I experience are visual and not verbal. I used to feel really frustrated because I hear about letting go of thoughts and I would assume a lot of the discord was from verbal thoughts but it's actually from thought images. 

Just sharing this for anyone that can benefit from this. 

Maybe take a second to recognize the mental images that are coming up and not just the mental words, like what are you "seeing" with your minds eye?

♾️

Expression isn't just speaking, writing, it can also be drawing, music, etc. You can translate one to another. Often if you have a vague visual, or unexpressed in language thought that feels awful, quickly put it into words you speak out loud of to yourself can be a really funny exercise. 

Youtube Channel  

1 hour ago, Mandy said:

Expression isn't just speaking, writing, it can also be drawing, music, etc. You can translate one to another. Often if you have a vague visual, or unexpressed in language thought that feels awful, quickly put it into words you speak out loud of to yourself can be a really funny exercise. 

I've been reading into it and interestingly enough different people have different forms that they think in! 

I realized I primarily think in images and use verbal thoughts just to communicate. 

I haven't focused on any of the discordant thought images anymore and I've been more productive at work and peaceful 😌

♾️

For example, I experience intrusive thoughts about war/violence. 

The verbal thought is

War and violence are happening. 

^ this verbal thought can be let go of, but the suffering can actually be coming from the visual thought that arised before it! 

♾️

4 hours ago, Orb said:

I just realized today that a lot of the discordant thoughts I experience are visual and not verbal. I used to feel really frustrated because I hear about letting go of thoughts and I would assume a lot of the discord was from verbal thoughts but it's actually from thought images. 

Just sharing this for anyone that can benefit from this. 

Maybe take a second to recognize the mental images that are coming up and not just the mental words, like what are you "seeing" with your minds eye?

What is visual thoughts?

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

3 minutes ago, Orb said:

Imagine a flower with yellow petals. 

These are still thoughts. Because, i don't know what is "petals", therefore i couldn't imagine. Learning is an illusion. 

2 hours ago, Orb said:

Visual thoughts also slip through the radar because they don't involve self referencing.

This is not how i recently understood it. Self ref comes down to the self being “activated” with the thought. Does the thought stand for itself or does it connect to “you” so you feel it. 
i am not sure how to describe this.

maybe @Phil@Mandycsn explain better

Wide open to debate… but that awareness is aware of thought(s), perception and sensation is as fundamental as direct experience can be articulated. 

Thoughts therein can be distinguished as not perception, and not sensation. 

There can certainly be a thought of an image / a thought which is an image, which is discordant. 

And as @Orb is so wisely pointing out imo, any discordant thought can be let go.

A visual image thought could be self referential, and could not be self referential. 

The letting go (of discord) is the uncovering, unfettering, un-obscuring of well-being, alignment, the true nature, that which is aware.

It’s exactly the same as saying letting go of a discordant thought is letting go of resistance and or limiting beliefs with respect to anything & everything wanted. 

22 minutes ago, WhiteOwl said:

This is not how i recently understood it. Self ref comes down to the self being “activated” with the thought. Does the thought stand for itself or does it connect to “you” so you feel it. 
i am not sure how to describe this.

maybe @Phil@Mandycsn explain better

‘How I recently understood it’ is a discordant (separate) self referential thought. The discord is that separation is implied. The discord is felt by that which is appearing as thoughts, which isn’t separate and wouldn’t know what separation is. 

There is no self which is activated. There is only an experience of a discordant belief being activated / triggered. 

41 minutes ago, James123 said:

These are still thoughts. Because, i don't know what is "petals", therefore i couldn't imagine. Learning is an illusion. 

Honestly man, I have no idea what's even arising lol. Whether verbal or visual thought, I have no idea what it is.

♾️

3 minutes ago, Orb said:

Honestly man, I have no idea what's even arising lol. Whether verbal or visual thought, I have no idea what it is.

Good for you brother, good for you. 💯

29 minutes ago, Mandy said:

What's the radar? 

Visual discordant thoughts are harder to notice because they don't explicit reference "me". 

It's like if someone's talking about how shitty they are feeling vs an image of something discordant. Verbal thoughts are easier to get a feel for.

♾️

1 minute ago, Orb said:

Visual discordant thoughts are harder to notice because they don't explicit reference "me". 

It's like if someone's talking about how shitty they are feeling vs an image of something discordant. Verbal thoughts are easier to get a feel for.

But what's the radar? 

Youtube Channel  

5 minutes ago, Mandy said:

But what's the radar? 

Recognizing the root of the discord.

For example: you feel disempowered due to focusing on visual thoughts that feel disempowering. 

You try to "fix it" by repeating verbal affirmations like "I Am empowered, I am love, etc." But it doesn't change anything because the discordant thought is a visual one and not verbal. 

♾️