How to be Funny? How to Stop Taking Myself Seriously?

How do you be funny?

What's humor? 

I take myself seriously (ironically), maybe making fun of myself is the ultimate remedy?

Perhaps seeing Orb in a funny light will actually lead to feeling more empowerment and less fear?

♾️

People are bored by philosophy and work and want drama and playing around I find.  Too much heaviness begs for some lightness.  If you want people to go away talk about doing the work a lot.  Naturally.  This insight can be applied systemically to great benefit.  The problem is it's hard to remember.  One way to have no friends is talk all the time about doing the work.  God would get bored with itself without a little Devilry there to mix things up.  God likes the Devil, I guess they have a love-hate relationship sort of.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

2 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Too much heaviness begs for some lightness. 

Ooooo....I like this! 

There seems to be a spectrum, the two extremes are serious deep stuff and super goofy light hearted behavior in relationships. 

My relationship is a bit of both, but sometimes I just wanna brighten her mood!

♾️

2 hours ago, Orb said:

Ooooo....I like this! 

There seems to be a spectrum, the two extremes are serious deep stuff and super goofy light hearted behavior in relationships. 

My relationship is a bit of both, but sometimes I just wanna brighten her mood!

God enjoys a bit of the troll.  God says to the Devil, get out of here you little rascal.  The Devil says, alright you'll be sorry.  Then God becomes bored as hell and says I miss that little rascal and asks for the Devil to come back.  And the Devil returns saying, see you need me.  Seriousness is like a glass of cold water poured on a group of partying young men.  It's tempting to do it, but sometimes you just gotta let boys be boys and do their thing too.  It's a tenuous compromise actually.  I think a lot of people have to have fun doing the work.  It's like 80% fun and 20% work for them.  They're gonna butt heads with the people where those figures are flipped around the other way.  There's a golden mean between the bore and the clown, as Aristotle understood.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

The key element of humor is the build up of one perspective, a pause, and a very different & unsuspected perspective. The more unsuspected, the funnier it is. Conditioning is like a carrying of an idea of me. It’s repetitive & predictable, whereas consciousness is unpredictable & spontaneous. None of this is actually true though, I’m just making it up. Apparently. More so, there’s no one actually here. You’re just making that up. 

On 1/31/2024 at 4:51 AM, Phil said:

The key element of humor is the build up of one perspective, a pause, and a very different & unsuspected perspective. The more unsuspected, the funnier it is.

Can we think of ways to practice it. Humor is great 

Edited by WhiteOwl

On 2/4/2024 at 12:21 PM, Phil said:

If you like vague & bald, stay tuned. 

😁

5 hours ago, Phil said:

@Orb

If videos no one can relate to are your thing, check out Actuality of Being on Youtube.  

No one watches them 

🫳

🎤

♾️

I'm funny in person or over the phone but it doesn't come through in writing for me.  It's just weird for me to try to be funny in writing.  It's like trying to eat spaghetti with a spoon.  Writing seems like a very restrictive medium to me.  I do it, but actually I prefer to relate on the phone or in person.  My attempts to be funny in writing are just awful.  I don't really do witticism or wordplay humor.  I tell funny stories.  That's my style of humor and that comes through orally.  I'm kinda like Richard Pryor style in my humor.  He's a storyteller.  But my stories are less composed and more improvised than Richard Pryor.  I'm an improviser.  And usually they're funny stories about my experiences.

If you want to hear something funny listen to Richard Pryor's video "Wino & Junkie" it's on YouTube.  I'm not going to post it here because of foul language issues.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

4 hours ago, Phil said:

@Orb

For humor to be a remedy it’s gotta be depreciating or exaggerative & about something you take seriously, or the way you look or act, or something you believe, etc.

This is good! What if I take every single thing I take seriously and just turn it into a joke? 😀

No lie I feel like I just found the key to life! 

♾️