Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Jonas Long said:

Used to be called "nerds", that collection of traits 

Nerds can't fantasize. I'm not a nerd. I'm an introvert. 

Edited by Reena

So basically I'm an autistic INFJ BPD sigma Pisces female with anger and CPTSD issues. Wow wow. 

My plate looks full. I Couldn't have been weirder than that. Now I get why I'm so idiosyncratic. 

5 minutes ago, Reena said:

Nerds can't fantasize. I'm not a nerd. I'm an introvert. 

All nerds do is fantasize... fantasize that they're Han Solo making out with Carrie Fisher or something.  Anyways, nerds are supposed to be sexy now in the current cultural zeitgeist... Donald glover, rivers cuomo etc., or maybe that fad has passed by now idk.  Isn't it obvious who you're actually critical of? 

Just now, Jonas Long said:

All nerds do is fantasize... fantasize that they're Han Solo making out with Carrie Fisher or something.  Anyways, nerds are supposed to be sexy now in the current cultural zeitgeist... Donald glover, rivers cuomo etc., or maybe that fad has passed by now idk.  Isn't it obvious who you're actually critical of? 

Nerds can be extroverted too. I'm an introvert. I don't think nerds can be capable of the emotional range I'm capable of. I'm aware of who I'm critical of. Nerds. 

So basically I'm an autistic INFJ BPD sigma Pisces female with anger and CPTSD issues. Wow wow. 

My plate looks full. I Couldn't have been weirder than that. Now I get why I'm so idiosyncratic. 

Posted (edited)

Nerds win in the end.  They got a big brain.  They actually read and study on a regular basis.  They're responsible.  The takeaway is that being a nerd is not synonymous with being a loser, these are different categories although they may overlap or maybe not depending on the person.  Nerds are usually more complex and take more time to know that non nerds are.  They're easy to overlook, but they keep working quietly on their many interests, which are usually well beyond the mundane.  Non nerds are usually primarily focused on the mundane.  You can see this in the phrase "so and so is nerding-out on something."  Nerds take deep-dives into issues and projects that they're interested in.  If a nerd is fascinated with being social and that's their thing, then they become a dork.  That's the relation between nerd and dork.  Highly social but still a nerd gives a kind of characteristic awkwardness that can also be charming.  A geek is a nerd who's interest is heavily in electronics, gadgets, computers, including video games.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

29 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Nerds win in the end.  They got a big brain.  They actually read and study on a regular basis.  They're responsible.  The takeaway is that being a nerd is not synonymous with being a loser, these are different categories although they may overlap or maybe not depending on the person.  Nerds are usually more complex and take more time to know that non nerds are.  They're easy to overlook, but they keep working quietly on their many interests, which are usually well beyond the mundane.  Non nerds are usually primarily focused on the mundane.  You can see this in the phrase "so and so is nerding-out on something."  Nerds take deep-dives into issues and projects that they're interested in.  If a nerd is fascinated with being social and that's their thing, then they become a dork.  That's the relation between nerd and dork.  Highly social but still a nerd gives a kind of characteristic awkwardness that can also be charming.  A geek is a nerd who's interest is heavily in electronics, gadgets, computers, including video games.

Not sure if that can be called a win. For me a win means being able to socialize like other people. Not just getting things. Nerds are bad at socializing and that's a bad sign, it creates a slew of problems in incomprehensible ways. 

15 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Right!  Nerds don't typically do tough guy masculine activities.  

I think it's more that they resist learning new things because it's outside the realm of what they know or are comfortable with or believe they are good at. The old culture around a man's worth being wrapped up in those skills doesn't help because then insecurity comes up and it's easier to not try or avoid asking questions than to be seen as not good at it. I don't think basic home maintenance stuff is tough guy masculine activities, but just good life skills like cooking. And of course there are women who are carpenters, electricians and mechanics, etc that aren't masculine at all. And now being a mechanic more and more means working on computers as well as vehicles become more electronic. 

Youtube Channel