The counterintuitive nature of happiness

Someone here

I had a new insight that I felt sharing with the community.  Now I don't understand the whys and the how's behind it ..but it just hit me out of the blue .its something I've been noticing since I was a little kid .

Chasing material pleasure like sex and money and luxury items will not make you truly happy .the more you do it ..the more you feel empty inside and actually starting to slip into depression.  But the more you abandon those things and live a simple sober life ..the more happy and truly satisfied you become .

So I want you to throw away this whole paradigm of chasing stuff that you think will make you happy .and just simply back into being itself.  Focus on relaxation..  Sobriety and live a simple clean life devoid of all the luxurious stuff that is tempting you all the time . And that paradoxically will make you more happy and content with your life .

Just keeping it short and sweet . Let me know if you have any questions. 

Cheers 🍻 

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

@James123

Oh yeah, I think it was ‘you don’t know what you want because you already have it’. 

🙂

Yes. You are amazing man, amazing! İ have never see anyone has better quotes than you have. And Alan Watts what a beautiful quote what a say. 

@Someone here

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

12 minutes ago, Phil said:

Happiness is appearing as that condition. 

That make sense? (I could unpack more). 

Yes unpack more ..

So I guess you're saying happiness is all there is by saying its unconditional...but what about sadness and other emotions? 

Also ,in OP I suggested that chasing the carrot will never make us happy. Because there is no carrot. The carrot is an illusion. Like a treadmill. Do you agree ?

I think it all comes down to this one simple

question: “Do you want to be happy or do you not want to be happy?”

Blatantly obvious as it seems. Most of us answer this question like this: “I want, but…” I am not rich enough.. not skinny enough..not smart enough.. not famous enough..or my girlfriend left me.. my dog died.. my job sucks..my neighbors are rude etc and endless such justifications. 

There is always something that we need to have or to do in order to be happy. Why do you think that is ?

9 minutes ago, Mandy said:

What does counterintuitive mean? Not-what-you-might-believe?

Yes. 

2 hours ago, Someone here said:

What's preventing me from realizing this ?

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Happiness is unconditional. 

(More unpacking)

Thoughts as conditions that come to mind…

That there is something other than happiness, which is preventing happiness. 

That I am not already happiness (this). 

36 minutes ago, Someone here said:

So I guess you're saying happiness is all there is by saying it’s unconditional...but what about sadness and other emotions? 

Yes, happiness is infinite. 

Synonymous terms, at least in how I use em… infinite being, unconditional, self, reality, the truth, etc.

There is experientially sadness and emotions. Happiness is being, or, appearing as the thoughts and emotions. 

The thoughts & emotions are experienced by, felt by - happiness. 

This is why sadness and emotions (experience) feels, the way sadness and emotions (experience) feels. 

Thoughts & emotions feel as they do - to happiness. 

Also ,in OP I suggested that chasing the carrot will never make us happy. Because there is no carrot. The carrot is an illusion. Like a treadmill. Do you agree ?

Yes. Happiness (feeling) can’t be in a future because it’s already present. Happiness is the present. 

I think it all comes down to this one simple

question: “Do you want to be happy or do you not want to be happy?”

Blatantly obvious as it seems. Most of us answer this question like this: “I want, but…” I am not rich enough.. not skinny enough..not smart enough.. not famous enough..or my girlfriend left me.. my dog died.. my job sucks..my neighbors are rude etc and endless such justifications. 

Yes. When there is the experience of unhappiness, there is always a reason. The same is not true for happiness. Happiness is causeless and reasonless, appearing as all causes & reasons. Happiness is even what’s appearing as unhappiness. 

There is always something that we need to have or to do in order to be happy. Why do you think that is ?

It’s the activity of thought, or, rumination. There are two components; subject & object. The object is what’s thought to be needed, and the subject is who or what’s thought to be needing it.