Music

MazE

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture

Released in 1976.  Excellent.  Just keeps getting better and better until the very end.  Rare album in that way.  Eclectic in musical styles too: I can hear some country and heavy metal influences among other rock (i.e., folk rock) styles and r&b/soul too.  I just recently discovered this album and have been enjoying it a lot.  I can hear some Van Morrison meets Bruce Springsteen meets Jimi Hendrix in Phil Lynott's vocal style.  Top notch musicianship on the musical instruments, and the album has great feel too.   I would say this fits the label of being an art rock album.

Phil Lynott – vocals, bass
Scott Gorham – lead and rhythm guitars
Brian Robertson – lead and rhythm guitars
Brian Downey – drums
//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

Released in 1974.  Excellent.   This is Rush's first album.  I've never heard a Rush album so dominated by/given space to Alex Lifeson.  Geddy Lee reveals his influence of Robert Plant in his vocals.  Even at their first album, this is top notch.  They're already a supergroup even without Neil Peart on drums.  Tight and great feel.  Geddy Lee is a monster on bass.  Reminds me of Lemmy.  Alex Lifeson is a master at rhythm guitar.

Geddy Lee – lead vocals, bass
Alex Lifeson – rhythm and lead guitar, backing vocals
John Rutsey – drums, backing vocals
//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

Released in 1979.  Excellent.  Early New Wave album.  I appreciate the entire band and think it has a supergroup status.  I especially appreciate Andy Summers.  His rhythm guitar stylings are excellent.  His bright chord stabs for example.  I can hear a comparison/influence between Alex Lifeson of Rush with Andy Summers in terms of rhythm guitar stylings.

Sting – bass, lead vocals
Andy Summers – guitars, keyboards, backing vocals
Stewart Copeland – drums, backing vocals
//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

Released in 1966.  Excellent.  Super influential.  Excellent bass by Jack Bruce.   This was thought of as supergroup in its time.  There's a lot in this album if you have ears to hear it.

Jack Bruce – lead vocals, bass, harmonica, piano
Eric Clapton – lead and rhythm guitar, backing vocals
Ginger Baker – drums, backing vocals
//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

Released in 1992.  Excellent.  I love this album.  Great vocals and pedal steel guitar playing.  Top notch Neil Young album with his friends -- this is communal effort.  He's a great singer on display on this album with all these fantastic singers too.  All the songs on this album are excellent.  Reminds me of his 70's albums but in certain ways it's even better.  The production and engineering sure are better.

Neil Young – vocals, guitars, harmonica, banjo guitar, piano, pump organ, vibraphone
Ben Keith – pedal steel guitar, Dobro, bass marimba, backing vocals
Spooner Oldham – piano, pump organ, keyboards
Tim Drummond – bass, marimba
Kenny Buttrey – drums

Larry Cragg – backing vocals
Nicolette Larson – backing vocals
Linda Ronstadt – backing vocals
James Taylor – backing vocals
Astrid Young – backing vocals
//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

Released in 1981.  Great to find a vinyl version of this excellent album.

Steve Perry – lead vocals
Neal Schon – lead guitar, backing vocals
Jonathan Cain – rhythm guitar, keyboards, backing vocals
Ross Valory – bass, backing vocals
Steve Smith – drums
//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

Released in 1972.  This album is so eclectic.  I can hear so much music in this from so many different rock styles and bands.  It's kind of an art rock album.  But it's an awesome straight-ahead hard rock album too.  It doesn't get so progressive that it loses the linearity of a radio friendly hard rock album.  But then it is progressive too, so it's a very balanced album.  I can hear some deep purple in this among other things.  Lee Kerslake is one of my favorite drummers.  He plays drums on 'Blizzard of Oz' and 'Diary of a Madman', Ozzy Osbourne's first 2 excellent albums too in the early 80's.  All these musicians are top notch.   I really appreciate Gary Thain's original bass playing.  I can tell the band Rainbow was influenced by this album.  

David Byron – lead vocals
Mick Box – rhythm and lead guitars
Ken Hensley – acoustic and rhythm guitars, keyboards, backing vocals
Gary Thain – bass
Lee Kerslake – drums
//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

Released in 1975.  "Physical Graffiti" sounds so much better on vinyl.  What a monster album.  I've always liked this album.  Eclectic in style.  Loose but good.  I can hear Grunge kind of come out of this album.  Led Zeppelin IV sounds so much better on vinyl.  I can hear that eastern music influence on Led Zeppelin  IV.  This is another supergroup of musicians.  These are probably my favorite two Led Zeppelin albums.

Robert Plant – vocals, harmonica
Jimmy Page – acoustic, rhythm, and lead guitars, lap steel and slide guitars
John Paul Jones – bass, mandolin, acoustic guitar, keyboards
John Bonham – drums, percussion
//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

Released in 1975. Rush's second album. I listened to this album on LSD in Golden Gate Park a few years ago and it was a very memorable experience. I like this album and their first album equally. This album takes it to the next level but the excellence was there from the beginning on their first album. This album is more exploratory, expansive, and you can feel the band start to mature and find their own sound more solidly. Rush is very influenced by Led Zeppelin but very different too -- less loose and more tight. I can hear the band The Police come out of this album -- tightening the sound even further! And then that creates a piece of early Post Punk/New Wave among other pieces. This is an art rock album, it goes in lots of directions, eclectically, in lots of music areas. It's brilliant and has the complex feeling aspect too. Just like Led Zeppelin but different.  More ordered and condensed.  More Masculine in that way.

Geddy Lee – vocals, bass
Alex Lifeson – acoustic, rhythm, and lead guitar, keyboards
Neil Peart – drums, percussion
//

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

This sounds great on vinyl.  RIP Christine McVie.  Excellent songs and vocal harmonies.  This is going to be the last music post from me on here for a while.  I don't want to take up all the space in  this thread with my albums.  I can go on and on.  I hope you enjoy what I've posted as much as I do.  I'm a musician with wide music taste so I can post hundreds of albums.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍