Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Do you guys have any personal experience, or from loved ones, about drugs/addiction? I mean pretty much everything expect psychedelics, like alcohol, heroin, meth, nicotine, painkillers etc.

 

Share your thoughts. What's substance addiction about? What was your experience like?

 

Do you drink, smoke, or get stoned?

 

And what are drugs? If we're dismantling the materialist paradigm on this forum... How come when I drink a beer or smoke a cigarette, I feel different?

 

Why do we have drugs in this crazy dream called life?

 

Share your thoughts!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This post hits close to home, I have a history with using substances. 

 

Ive had experience with nearly every class of substances (Stimulant, Dissociative, Opioid, Benzo, etc.). 

 

Have had addictive behaviors too. Also Ive been through withdrawals before for different things. 

 

Substance addiction isnt really a problem imo, I know it might sound controversial, but people drink coffee everyday and have very healthy lives. It isnt the repetitive nature of using substances thats the problem, its the bypassing of the essential aspects of life thats the problem. And of course if the substance is too hard on the body like heroin or meth then i'd say it is problematic, but for things like cigarettes, coffee, weed, etc. it isnt that bad. 

 

The essential aspects are family/friends/social bonding, exercise, healthy diet, meditation/contemplative practice. 

 

Nowadays im doing great, im drinking matcha green tea, I take kratom, and im exercising everyday. 

 

I used kratom to get off of smoking/vaping, I substituted substances but imo kratom is way better than vaping for the rest of my life. 

 

Ive just accepted that I love mind-altering substances, and while I wont do any hard drugs ill still enjoy caffeine or kratom at modest amounts. 

 

30 minutes ago, Blessed2 said:

And what are drugs? If we're dismantling the materialist paradigm on this forum... How come when I drink a beer or smoke a cigarette, I feel different?

 

Why do we have drugs in this crazy dream called life?

 

Share your thoughts!

 

Drugs are just another experience, thats all it is, like going to the park, going on a trip, or taking a vacation. Its just another experience. 

 

Science can explain how drugs change experience. 

 

Imo, drugs are spiritual teachers, im serious. 

 

Plants are intelligence in a different form, and they teach us by fusing with us.

 

🌞🌚

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Mandy

 

My theory is that it is indeed societal. 

 

Men are conditioned to bond less with humans and to be more stoic. 

 

Women are conditioned to bond more and be more caring to others. 

 

I think us men get hooked because we didn't know how to connect with people.

 

Ever heard of the rat park study?

🌞🌚

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Orb said:

This post hits close to home, I have a history with using substances. 

 

...

 

Have had addictive behaviors too.

 

 

Me to & me too.

 

I've always been interested in this stuff for some reason. Even as a child, like 10yrs old, I remember reading wikipedia etc. about drugs. I remember going through my parents closet to see if they have mind-altering pills there. 😂 For some reason it fascinates me.

 

I even tried inhaling gasoline as a kid cause I read somewhere it gets you high. It did, and I tripped balls. Though it was pretty horrible.

 

20 minutes ago, Orb said:

Substance addiction isnt really a problem imo, I know it might sound controversial, but people drink coffee everyday and have very healthy lives. It isnt the repetitive nature of using substances thats the problem, its the bypassing of the essential aspects of life thats the problem. And of course if the substance is too hard on the body like heroin or meth then i'd say it is problematic, but for things like cigarettes, coffee, weed, etc. it isnt that bad. 

 

I disagree on this. 🤔 I think addiction is a 'problem', even though it doesn't affect the day-to-day life. Cause IMO fundamentally addiction is running from feeling, running from Life. It's suppression.

 

22 minutes ago, Orb said:

Nowadays im doing great, im drinking matcha green tea, I take kratom, and im exercising everyday. 

 

Good to hear!

 

Kratom 🤔 that I don't hear often. What it's like? I think it's illegal here, in Finland.

 

25 minutes ago, Orb said:

 

Plants are intelligence in a different form, and they teach us by fusing with us.

 

 

This I agree with. You do kinda 'fuse' with the substance. Especially with psychedelics you can see the 'fusing' in 'real-time'. It's sort of like you become that substance.

 

When you are high, it feels awesome. Though when you come down it sucks. So I'm not sure about the 'teaching' part. 🤔

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Mandy said:

I'd like to know why men so frequently abuse them, especially alcohol. A study says that men may get twice the dopamine hit a woman does from drinking. Is it that, or is it societal? 🤔 

 

Good question. I do have some trouble with alcohol actually.

 

I remember reading from David Deida that alcohol / other drugs are sort of 'feminine energy'. And 'masculine energy' looks for fusing / 'dying' into them, to feel whole and fulfilled. 🤔

 

Maybe it's both. Maybe David Deida is correct, but also society kinda prevents men from finding / accepting that natural 'feminine' within. So men go looking for it somewhere else.

 

 

Edited by Blessed2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. Alcohol is actually medicinal for me.  Gives me energy.

2. Not everyone has an addictive personality.  Very few understand this.  Some could take cocaine semi-regularly and not get addicted.

3. Weed isn't addictive, that's a fact.  What it is is "habit forming", which is something else.

4. Psychedelics are not only not addictive, they're not even habit forming.  Zero potential for abuse.

 

That is all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Phil Har har.

 

6 hours ago, Orb said:

Ever heard of the rat park study?

No.

 

 I assume part of it is because it's pain management for a lot of chronic pain caused by strenuous physical jobs, at least that seems to be the case where I live. I hear that balls get in the way of yoga and stretching, I guess that's the excuse. No matter what you suggest it's not manly enough or powerful enough to deal with the epic pain. Seasonal depression? Get a light box. NO WAY THAT WILL SOLVE MY CLINICAL DEPRESSION. For fucks sakes, YES something small can make a huge difference. But no, only substances will do for someone with manly man balls. So over it. 😂

Rant over. 😂

 Youtube Channel    Website

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Mandy

 

22 minutes ago, Mandy said:

I hear that balls get in the way of yoga and stretching, I guess that's the excuse.

 

You don't know what it's like okay! 

 

The rat park study was when they got one rat alone in a cage with a choice between cocaine nd water, the rat choose cocaine until it died. In another cage there were multiple rats and they had access to many different toys and fun little mini gyms to play in, they were also given a choice between cocaine and water, all the rats chose water.

Edited by Orb

🌞🌚

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Orb said:

@Mandy

 

 

You don't know what it's like okay! 

 

 

NEO ADVAITA, Ok. YOU DON'T HAVE BALLS. 

2 minutes ago, Orb said:

The rat park study was when they got one rat alone in a cage with a choice between cochise and water, the rat choose cochise until it died. In another cage there were multiple rats and they had access to many different toys and fun little mini gyms to play in, they were also given a choice between cochise and water, all the rats chose water.

😔😌

I saw this yesterday and thought it was really good. 

 

 Youtube Channel    Website

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, God said:

. Weed isn't addictive, that's a fact.  What it is is "habit forming", which is something else.

There is such a thing as cannabis use disorder.

 

“Cannabis use disorders are often associated with dependence—in which a person feels withdrawal symptoms when not taking the drug. People who use marijuana often report irritability, mood and sleep difficulties, decreased appetite, cravings, restlessness, and/or various forms of physical discomfort that peak within the first week after quitting and last up to two weeks,” explains Nora Volkow, M.D., director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)."

 

“When dependence and other factors escalate to cannabis use disorder, a person cannot stop using the drug even though it interferes with many aspects of his or her life,” Dr. Volkow continues. “Some studies suggest that nine percent of people who use marijuana will become dependent on it, with higher rates in those who start using in their teens.” Other studies show even higher rates."

 

https://www.psycom.net/cannabis-use-disorder

 

 

You're a thought. Do you think a thought is going to occupy 'no thought'.

The 'changeless' can be realized only when the 
ever-changing thought-flow stops.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Phil said:
8 hours ago, Mandy said:

I'd like to know why men so frequently abuse them, especially alcohol.

They live with women. 

 

damn-burn.gif.36c0540c8a4e9ea5642fb2dba78a1861.gif

You're a thought. Do you think a thought is going to occupy 'no thought'.

The 'changeless' can be realized only when the 
ever-changing thought-flow stops.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Faith said:

There is such a thing as cannabis use disorder.

 

“Cannabis use disorders are often associated with dependence—in which a person feels withdrawal symptoms when not taking the drug. People who use marijuana often report irritability, mood and sleep difficulties, decreased appetite, cravings, restlessness, and/or various forms of physical discomfort that peak within the first week after quitting and last up to two weeks,” explains Nora Volkow, M.D., director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA).

“When dependence and other factors escalate to cannabis use disorder, a person cannot stop using the drug even though it interferes with many aspects of his or her life,” Dr. Volkow continues. “Some studies suggest that nine percent of people who use marijuana will become dependent on it, with higher rates in those who start using in their teens.” Other studies show even higher rates."

 

https://www.psycom.net/cannabis-use-disorder

 

 

Oh yeah there's that.  But it goes away after a hot showeer.

There are many complications that arise from simply drinking too much water too, but there's no water stigma.  Almost anything taken to an extreme can be bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, God said:

Oh yeah there's that.  But it goes away after a hot showeer.

I don't know what you're talking about. Maybe read the article, or don't, but it can be addictive and lead to dependence. 

 

I had a family member go to rehab for Cannabis addiction years ago. She could not stop smoking it and almost lost her job because of it. 

You're a thought. Do you think a thought is going to occupy 'no thought'.

The 'changeless' can be realized only when the 
ever-changing thought-flow stops.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Blessed2 I unfortunately have an addictive personality. I have written before about my smoking/vaping addiction I quit that 4 or 5 yrs ago cold turkey. I dont recall the year. I also had quit alcohol completely, because of a tendency to binge if stressed.  

 

I don't do well with trying to use something I like "moderately". My current (but not new) struggle is sweets. I hate to cut them out completely, but there might not be another way. 🤷‍♀️ I haven't made up my mind yet. 

 

You're a thought. Do you think a thought is going to occupy 'no thought'.

The 'changeless' can be realized only when the 
ever-changing thought-flow stops.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Faith said:

I don't know what you're talking about. Maybe read the article, or don't, but it can be addictive and lead to dependence. 

 

I had a family member go to rehab for Cannabis addiction years ago. She could not stop smoking it and almost lost her job because of it. 

That's unheard of.  Weed alone would never ever cause this.  It's less addictive than sugar.  If someone eats cookies and gets locked up, you don't blame the cookies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, God said:

That's unheard of.  Weed alone would never ever cause this.  It's less addictive than sugar.  If someone eats cookies and gets locked up, you don't blame the cookies.

@God 🤣🤣 

 

Weed is less addictive than sugar, lmao. 

🌞🌚

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By clicking, I agree to the terms of use, rules, guidelines & to hold Actuality of Being LLC, admin, moderators & all forum members harmless.