There seems to be a prevalent tendency in spiritual communities of being airy-fairy and just believing stuff.

As an invitation, I wanted to introduce the principle of groundedness for it to be contemplated.

Be honest: how real is this work for you? In your experience, what do you really know?

Call it for what it is. If you believe it, call it a belief. Otherwise we're fooling ourselves.

Like seriously, what do you believe in? 

Make a distinction between believing in something vs having actually personally validated the truth of the matter oneself.

In your experience, do you know who and what you are? Are you directly conscious of it? I'm not. Still working on that, although I could spit several theories and shit I've gathered from books.

Keep the conversation real please, don't come acting spiritual "there is nothing to do"or some such. Thanks.

On 7/28/2022 at 1:21 PM, Lucid Mystic said:

There seems to be a prevalent tendency in spiritual communities of being airy-fairy and just believing stuff.

As an invitation, I wanted to introduce the principle of groundedness for it to be contemplated.

Be honest: how real is this work for you? In your experience, what do you really know?

Call it for what it is. If you believe it, call it a belief. Otherwise we're fooling ourselves.

Make a distinction between believing in something vs having actually personally validated the truth of the matter oneself.

In your experience, do you know who and what you are? Are you directly conscious of it? I'm not. Still working on that, although I could spit several theories and shit I've gathered from books.

Keep the conversation real please, don't come acting spiritual "there is nothing to do"or some such. Thanks.

Very good post. There are occasions which some beliefs make sense to me and other occasions were the same beliefs make no sense to me but i can remember them making sense.

I am a person who very much lives in its own bubble. Most of the time i live in my own confusion and occasionally i get a clear sense of reality. This makes it hard to disbelief things even when i know them to be untrue or not seen like that from the others. I move towards wanting to aligning my beliefs with other around me even if they dont feel good to me. 

Not sure what is groundness to you? My experience of grounding is when i am able to hear smell and feel and feel real at the same time but this is not optimal performance and it doesnt come all the time. When performing experience changes.

In fact my experience of reality changes all the time.

Not sure If grounding to you related to non duality? 

Nevertheless, I would add - most of this shit(beliefs about non duality) when i feel a sense of clarity and a good sense of self seem irrelevant or fairy tail like to me. Still i fine a sense of relief or salvation cooking up these kind of ideas. 

Sometimes 8 hrs of sleep for several nights and moving away from addiction makes wonder. 

Edited by nurthur11

On 7/28/2022 at 6:21 AM, Lucid Mystic said:

How many hours have you spent doing self inquiry?   Remember you will not realize what you are at a conceptual level- it will be at the level of Being.  You will become it.  So just keep going and then something will click.  Also how are you doing self inquiry?  My tip would be to discover what you currently believe you are.   For example for me it was the "soul".  And when I realized that the soul was just another thought then I became conscious of what I actually was.  Actually, lol. 

There's a ton of beliefs.

For example, I'm a big fan of coffee. Coffee is great. 

It's a belief. Trivial. I eat eggs. I think the jury is out on whether eggs are healthy or dangerous. It's all a belief. I believe

the song 'We dont talk About Bruno' from Encanto is a great song, beautifully designed. 

Where does the belief lead? Is it beneficial, neutral, or unbeneficial? Most of our beliefs are probably neutral. 

Spiritual beliefs are probably what is more interesting. I think that many times people have some an awakening experience and then they try to explain it according to some concept or framework. That's fine, that's probably normal. But I think it's another thing when they believe that's the only way to do it. An example might be Leo Gura's framework of solipsism, that he's God, and can cure all diseases. There's many nondual teachers on YouTube and it's a cliche they all go on and on and on "There's no self!" 

i started reading a New book by Jay Garfield on this no self topic. It's called Losing Ourselves: Learning to Live Without a Self

Garfield says there's No Self. That's quite clear to him. But he admits, that there's clearly a person! 

I'm laughing writing this. This does seem to solve a lot of no self paradoxes. But what do we gain by this? I'm not sure we gain anything. I haven't read the whole book yet, I like it so far, he's a good writer and I can appreciate his view. 

What I would say concerning No Self is that there's different perspectives here. In Buddhism, there's sutras that espouse No Self, a luminous mind or Buddha Nature, and sutras where Buddha refused to answer the question as to whether there was a self. 

I'd probably want to clarify what we mean by a self. Do we mean a self or ...  to use Garfields terminology a person? Because persons do exist, binding exists, memories exist, personalities exist, selfing happens. 

As far as grounding, I've seen a lot of people lose it on the spiritual path. There may indeed in truth be no spoon, as the movie the Matrix says, but I counter there is a bus. And you have to respect the bus. If you don't and walk out in front of it, sure everything we experience we experience in consciousness, and the bus is mostly atoms and atoms are mostly blank space and energy, and there's quantum too -- well if you walk out in front of a bus you're likely in for a BAD TIME. 

When Jim Newman was interviewed by Sam Harris on Waking Up, Sam's first question to Jim was for Jim to briefly explain his background and his teachers, mentors, and influences. Newman refused to answer the question. "There is no Jim Newman." Sure, Jim's right, but he's being pedantic and annoying in this context. What does Jim Newman tell the Starbucks baristas when they want to write a name down on a cup for an order? I saw Jim gives Zoom teachings, for a fee, and a credit card is required. But ... who is paying Jim? ? Can we pull Jim's trick here? Hell no. You're paying ! -- and with a valid credit card number. 

"The kitchen has a grease fire."

"Ask yourself who is saying this." ; "Realize it's just a thought" ; "Look at the positive in the situation. Many rooms do not have a grease fire."

Do I know who I am? 

Any answer I type will be incomplete and wrong. It's like asking what is God? Any answer we give will likely not be correct. I like Father Ama Samy's answer: We are a Mystery. And that Mystery is Fullness. A fullness that is Graciousness."

I try to have a sense of humor and wonder. I try not to take myself seriously. 

Edited by Aware Wolf

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.” ― The Buddha