Guidance on The Guidance | How to stop suppressing and start expressing

Inno

Hey, fellow people.

Finally decided to create an account and actively participate in a community like this, so lets get this going:) 

The first things I would like to communicate and hear perspectives on is with regards to feeling, emotional suppression and difficulties expressing what's inside. 

I do understand that whatever is so to speak on the inside should be given voice, should be expressed, however I find it pretty difficult to do so.

Long story short, I've been struggling with how I feel for the past at least 6 months, where I had very difficult days and I would say that almost every day since then has been quite heavy, where I feel absolutely terrible, and at the same time have no idea why. It's like a constant emotional baggage that I carry with me and it doesn't allow me to enjoy anything in life, regardless of what it is. I feel like I need to feel good, in order to enjoy anything, sort of making it another condition. 

I find it very difficult to understand what exactly am I feeling. I've been trying to journal using the emotional scale, however its almost impossible to pinpoint an emotion on the scale and express what comes to mind, as everything feels like one giant ball of heavy emotions and I cannot differentiate anything out of it.

I think I have created some sort of intellectual space between what exactly I feel in the moment, the perspectives that come with the feeling and how I think I should be, behave, react, feel etc. I judge what I feel and every perspective that doesnt feel good as just that, perspective and kind of dismiss it, and I feel that I should be doing exactly the opposite- give it space and voice. 

I often feel bad, heavy, contracted and clogged and dont really know what to do. And I feel that these discordant perspectives and thoughts are coming up and I'm supposed to let them come out, but can't. Like I want to purge or vomit a bad meal, but it gets stuck.

What comes to mind is the following:
I've recently parted ways with a girl I was in relationship with, and at the beginning I was trying to look at the situation from the "higher" perspective i.e. neglect how I truly felt in the situation. And a couple of days ago I finally admitted that I actually miss her. I cried a bunch and felt as I've really struck a chord there and was able to let those perspectives and feelings out and the day after I felt amazing.

However thats not the case now and literally a day or two later I still feel stuck and when I sit down to write I struggle to express how I feel. 
Strange situation to be in and I don't really know how to go about it.

Perspectives on that would be highly appreciated. Thanks:) 

How about opening up to someone? Talking to another person? For me, therapy has been extremely helpful. Also just talking with a friend is very good. I think talking, using physical voice, might be a bit better than just writing.

Oh, and what comes to using your voice... What about singing? Might be easier to express some things when there is music. How about simply listening to music every morning and singing along?

There must be an effortless way.

11 hours ago, Inno said:

I was trying to look at the situation from the "higher" perspective i.e. neglect how I truly felt in the situation. And a couple of days ago I finally admitted that I actually miss her. I cried a bunch and felt as I've really struck a chord there and was able to let those perspectives and feelings out and the day after I felt amazing.

Sounds like you might have been spiritually bypassing. 

Spiritual bypass or spiritual bypassing is a "tendency to use spiritual ideas and practices to sidestep or avoid facing unresolved emotional issues, psychological wounds, and unfinished developmental tasks".  It's often used as a self-defense mechanism. 

Managing negative emotions is often about embracing the fact that we are feeling them, understanding why we are feeling this way, and allowing ourselves to receive the messages that they are sending us before we release them and move forward.

Peace 
💙

You're a thought. Do you think a thought is going to occupy 'no thought'.

The 'changeless' can be realized only when the 
ever-changing thought-flow stops.

20 hours ago, Inno said:

I find it very difficult to understand what exactly am I feeling. I've been trying to journal using the emotional scale, however its almost impossible to pinpoint an emotion on the scale and express what comes to mind, as everything feels like one giant ball of heavy emotions and I cannot differentiate anything out of it.

You could realize this to be overwhelment, one of the emotions on the scale. So that whenever the feeling arises you notice it and listen to it, rather then get caught up in it, growing your ability to free float with the feelings. Of course at first it will feel overwhelming, but as you work with it mindfully, listening, feeling, noticing, it will transform. That ball of emotions will become easier to differentiate, give yourself love & understanding everyday ☺️

When it comes to dealing with emotions I find there usually has to be a detachment (you detach from your reaction to it and enter into a free floating responsive state) and a reintegration, the reintegration would be the actually expressing of the emotion in whateve form you feel will. Writing, drawling, music, anything that channels the emotions in a healthy way. 

Ten thousand tears,

One Belly Laugh.

On 3/17/2022 at 11:04 AM, Inno said:

Hey, fellow people.

Finally decided to create an account and actively participate in a community like this, so lets get this going:) 

How to start expressing?   This thread… you’ve started. You’re communicating about how you’re feeling, asking questions, expressing what you’re wanting etc. It’s this, already. 🙂 The conceptualizations and intellectualizations of emotions will fall away and be dispelled, because you are now expressing. This is what it ‘looks’ like. 

The first things I would like to communicate and hear perspectives on is with regards to feeling, emotional suppression and difficulties expressing what's inside. 

I do understand that whatever is so to speak on the inside should be given voice, should be expressed, however I find it pretty difficult to do so.

Long story short, I've been struggling with how I feel for the past at least 6 months, where I had very difficult days and I would say that almost every day since then has been quite heavy, where I feel absolutely terrible, and at the same time have no idea why. It's like a constant emotional baggage that I carry with me and it doesn't allow me to enjoy anything in life, regardless of what it is. I feel like I need to feel good, in order to enjoy anything, sort of making it another condition. 

‘The devil is in the details’. Liberation from suffering is inspecting & expressing. 

So to speak, allow yourself to be more specific. Notice judgement & conditions expressed, vs specific emotions expressed. ‘I’m feeling absolutely terrible’ is judgement of feeling, of emotion, and this takes a minute to recognize. Terrible is like good & bad, black & white - thoughts - while emotion is grey. The thought, ‘I’m feeling absolutely terrible’, in & of itself… just the thought… doesn’t resonate, and that is ‘the why’. The ‘constant baggage’ isn’t emotions, it’s how some thoughts, some ways of thinking, some interpretations, feel. Notice the ‘it’ of ‘it doesn’t allow me’, and consider, nonduality - not two. That there isn’t an ‘it’ which is allowing or disallowing you anything. Some thoughts just don’t resonate with the love, the creator you are. Often it seems like something is needed to feel better… but consider letting something go, some thoughts & interpretations, might be the way. When non-resonating thoughts arise - willingly, consciously, effortlessly - let them go. Do this only because, only for - how you feel. 

Try… admittance. Start at the bottom of the scale, and just admit - sometime you do feel __________… and fill in that blank with each emotion, all the way up the scale. At first at least, just keep it really light and simple. No expectations. 

I think I have created some sort of intellectual space between what exactly I feel in the moment, the perspectives that come with the feeling and how I think I should be, behave, react, feel etc. I judge what I feel and every perspective that doesnt feel good as just that, perspective and kind of dismiss it, and I feel that I should be doing exactly the opposite- give it space and voice. 

I often feel bad, heavy, contracted and clogged and dont really know what to do. And I feel that these discordant perspectives and thoughts are coming up and I'm supposed to let them come out, but can't. Like I want to purge or vomit a bad meal, but it gets stuck.

The ‘stuck’, is the generality ‘bad, heavy, contracted and clogged’.  Those are thoughts, not emotions. Those are thoughts, about yourself, which don’t feel good, to you. “I often feel… bad, heavy, contracted and clogged’ … is the same as saying “I often feel… this thought, and this thought, and this thought, and this thought”. Propose the question - ‘but how do these thoughts feel’… ‘which emotion do I feel, when I focus on these thoughts?’

What comes to mind is the following:
I've recently parted ways with a girl I was in relationship with, and at the beginning I was trying to look at the situation from the "higher" perspective i.e. neglect how I truly felt in the situation. And a couple of days ago I finally admitted that I actually miss her. I cried a bunch and felt as I've really struck a chord there and was able to let those perspectives and feelings out and the day after I felt amazing.

However thats not the case now and literally a day or two later I still feel stuck and when I sit down to write I struggle to express how I feel. 
Strange situation to be in and I don't really know how to go about it.

Perspectives on that would be highly appreciated. Thanks:) 

It can take time to see, certainly, but notice the ‘now’ factor. Right now - are you feeling that past, or are you feeling the right now thoughts about? When it is noticed the feeling is in regard to the thoughts - then the all important question can arise - how do I want to feel? What are better feeling thoughts? What is a better feeling interpretation? 

Have you made a dreamboard yet? This is a life changing thing to do, because it’s just for you. Nothing to do with past, past relationships, what anyone else thinks or wants. It gets in front of you what you want - the dream within you unfolds onto that board, and then manifests, unfolding ‘in the flesh’. 

at the beginning I was trying to look at the situation from the "higher" perspective i.e. neglect how I truly felt in the situation. And a couple of days ago I finally admitted that I actually miss her. I cried a bunch and felt as I've really struck a chord there and was able to let those perspectives and feelings out and the day after I felt amazing.

I came across this just now on FB and thought about you. 💙

FB_IMG_1647728438298.thumb.jpg.aaff23aefa202c83f73ce60d8726f38e.jpg

Hope your feeling better. 😊

On 3/17/2022 at 6:23 PM, Blessed2 said:

How about opening up to someone? Talking to another person? For me, therapy has been extremely helpful. Also just talking with a friend is very good. I think talking, using physical voice, might be a bit better than just writing.

Oh, and what comes to using your voice... What about singing? Might be easier to express some things when there is music. How about simply listening to music every morning and singing along?

@Blessed2I've been seeing a psychoanalyst for the past few months and it's really difficult to open up. The same issue arises in my meetings with her as well, a lot of times I spend intellectualizing how I feel instead of directly expressing it. One of the main things is that all of how I feel really feels big and undifferentiated and I have hard time pointing as to which emotion I feel or how exactly. Sitting with the feeling though kind of "cracks" it I think and helps me digest it.
Not much of a singer though, but it might be an interesting experiment. Hope my neighbors dont sleep lightly:) Thank you. 

On 3/18/2022 at 4:40 AM, Faith said:

Sounds like you might have been spiritually bypassing. 

Spiritual bypass or spiritual bypassing is a "tendency to use spiritual ideas and practices to sidestep or avoid facing unresolved emotional issues, psychological wounds, and unfinished developmental tasks".  It's often used as a self-defense mechanism. 

Managing negative emotions is often about embracing the fact that we are feeling them, understanding why we are feeling this way, and allowing ourselves to receive the messages that they are sending us before we release them and move forward.

Peace 
💙

@FaithThat is exactly what is happening imho. I spend more time thinking about how I feel and conceptualizing, rather than getting closer to the feeling. I still want to understand why I feel this way and as you say to recieve the messages they bring, however sometimes instead of actually feeling what I'm feeling I'm trying to rationalize feeling. For example with the example I gave, I've caught myself thinking stuff like "There is no one to have been left by her" or "My true nature is Love, so whatever happens I should be okay with it" or stuff in that nature, which clearly is not something I've yet realized and am just using spiritual ideas to escape the feeling. Very kind of you with the facebook post, it made me smile:) 

On 3/18/2022 at 2:07 PM, Loop said:

You could realize this to be overwhelment, one of the emotions on the scale. So that whenever the feeling arises you notice it and listen to it, rather then get caught up in it, growing your ability to free float with the feelings. Of course at first it will feel overwhelming, but as you work with it mindfully, listening, feeling, noticing, it will transform. That ball of emotions will become easier to differentiate, give yourself love & understanding everyday ☺️

When it comes to dealing with emotions I find there usually has to be a detachment (you detach from your reaction to it and enter into a free floating responsive state) and a reintegration, the reintegration would be the actually expressing of the emotion in whateve form you feel will. Writing, drawling, music, anything that channels the emotions in a healthy way. 

@Loop I kind of feel the same way. Sometimes it's easy to write about or talk about how I feel, however at times like when I wrote this post I feel like the emotions are too big and is really hard to find a thread and unwind this gigantic ball I feel. So in this case all I can do, at least what I've come to so far is to simply be present, focus on breathing and feeling and kind of transmute this energy without engaging in thought activity. Maybe my idea of understanding as to why I feel a certain way or what made me feel certain emotions is another hijacking of the thinking mind that results in intellectual endeavors instead of feeling directly. 

Guys, thank you all for your replies, I really appreciate it.
Overall I'm feeling better. I've spend a few hours yesterday laying in my bed, focusing only on how I feel, mainly in the stomach and breathing from the belly. I've noticed how much my mind "sticks" to those emotions I feel and how much I believe them. It took me some effort to continually return my focus to feeling and breathing, but after a while I felt as feeling really is the "flow" of life and the only thing that gets me "out" of it is thought attachment and beliving those stories. I feel like focusing on Feeling is the right thing to do and really is the way, however I felt really overwhelmed as I've spent a lot of hours "feeling" and there is just so much in there. Today was a bit different as well, as I've noticed just how used I am to believing those thoughts and had to constantly remind myself to stay "afloat" and focus on breathing, not drowning in the emotions by believing the thoughts. 

1 hour ago, Inno said:

For example with the example I gave, I've caught myself thinking stuff like "There is no one to have been left by her" or "My true nature is Love, so whatever happens I should be okay with it" or stuff in that nature, which clearly is not something I've yet realized and am just using spiritual ideas to escape the feeling

Ah, just keep shining the light on these sort of ideas you've had to be able to see through them more clearly and hopefully they they fall away as really not useful at the present moment. 

When your house is on fire you need a pail of water, not for someone to say, " there is no house, there is no fire".

1 hour ago, Inno said:

Very kind of you with the facebook post, it made me smile:) 

😊

4 hours ago, Inno said:

@Loop I kind of feel the same way. Sometimes it's easy to write about or talk about how I feel, however at times like when I wrote this post I feel like the emotions are too big and is really hard to find a thread and unwind this gigantic ball I feel. So in this case all I can do, at least what I've come to so far is to simply be present, focus on breathing and feeling and kind of transmute this energy without engaging in thought activity. Maybe my idea of understanding as to why I feel a certain way or what made me feel certain emotions is another hijacking of the thinking mind that results in intellectual endeavors instead of feeling directly. . 

Thats great that you are grounding yourself in breathing 😄

It can be really useful to seperate the thoughts into talking & images sometimes, this can really help you understand whatever emotions you are currently dealing with as you pick up thought patterns. 

Keep dropping into feeling, the threads unweave themselves, settle into Being.

Ten thousand tears,

One Belly Laugh.

I've been feeling totally hopeless and powerless the past few days and writing that feels like an understatement, however something interesting happened.

I really wanted to simply feel better, this state of mind is absolutely no joke and I felt powerless to change my condition and how I feel. I don't really care about the Path when in such an agony, I simply want to find a way to feel better, to understand what is going on and to make sense of my life and my world. 
I decided to smoke a bit yesterday evening and suddenly was brought to the Present moment. I didn't feel my usual emotional gutwrench of emotions i felt the days before, was kind of detached from my thoughts. I realized that everything that has been bugging me is just a thought story that takes my attention away from the fact of the eternal Now, however is something that I think I need to deal with in one way or another, so thus the question:

When it comes to feeling and thought, my interpretation from what I've read on the website is that whenever I feel a discordant thought i should focus on something else. Now my question here is isnt that bypassing? Aren't I ignoring the exact thought that spurs that feeling? 
For example when yesterday when I was at my lowest I felt like my whole being was one big emotional wound and everything I thought about was dark and gloomy and helpless. So for example a thought about my situation in my job or about my ex instantly made me feel a gut punch and a hole in my stomach. In that case if I focus on something else I feel that this thought association doesn't resolve itself. Instead it just gets burried. I feel like all of those thoughts that invoke an emotional reaction should be faced and seen and then *somehow* let go or understood. And some thoughts may be single, some may be more like a complex of a situation that needs to be explored, given space and understood (again, no idea how to).

I feel better today, spent the day in an environment where I would've been extremely nervous and self-absorbed yesterday and had a decent time. My only caution here is that I'm not sure if I'm actually connected to feeling or simply bypassing it and thus feeling the relief of the break I'm having of thinking those thoughts etc.

Perspectives are appreciated 🙂

Edited by Inno

Negative emotion is caused when we think ourselves to be separate somehow, but rather than listening to the feeling we keep believing the content of the thoughts instead. That's the real avoidance. Now awareness is the only thing that sees, it is the Knowing that needs no knower. Any knower would always just be the known to it... There is no knower behind it. Likewise, to see a situation in a new light, forgive, or heal it, we have to see it from the perspective not of character in the story but as the author who is NOT in the story whatsoever. The character does not create their resolution and revelations. The author does. Feeling itself is your "now" tie to that.

If my friend likes to hide behind things, jump out and scare me, and I'm walking around in my head thinking about my problems, she's gonna have all kinds of wonderful opportunities. If however, I am present, I am Now Awareness. I see, I hear, I feel, I listen to my guidance and I am open to it, no one is going to sneak up on me, nor am I concerned because it is just ME here all along. There is no other me to be snuck up on. So what are you bypassing? Yourself? Who is the you who can bypass? Is there one of you that can avoid the other?

Abraham Hicks repeats the phrase "you can't get there from here", meaning that if you are feeling lots of negative emotion and thinking a lot of separation, you will not be open to receive clarity about that situation. You must improve the way you are feeling before you will receive any clarity, true understanding or healing. Pay attention to how you feel, as your feeling is the gauge of the clarity you are NOW seeing with. The desire to see and attend to clearly to things and the desire to feel better are ONE AND THE SAME. They are not at conflict. *Phew!* Relief is the seeing. 

Listening TO the guidance of the emotion rather than believing the content of the thoughts is the true end of bypassing and avoiding. 

Youtube Channel  

@MandyThank you for your response 🙏

Now to the question "Who is the you who can bypass?" I honestly think that this is the bypassing itself. I still have mixed feelings about all the nondual pointers and statements like "there is no one to bypass" or "There is no other me to be snuck upon", they just don't hit home yet, and even contribute to suppressing stuff rather than liberating, at least in my case. 
I'll give a personal example as it might make it more relatable:
When for example I happen to think about time spent with the girl I've parted ways with, even a time when we had a great time, it immediately makes me feel something I can't even describe. I feel literally a gut punch, sort of a hole in my stomach and I immediately cease to think about that. Some combination of unworthiness, fear, insecurity. I was scrolling throught LinkedIn one day and saw the logo of the company she started working in a few months back and that pushed the same reaction, although it is quite a general association, isn't it?

Now one approach would be when such a discordant thought arise to simply redirect my focus and think better feeling thoughts.
The other would be to stay with the thought and the feeling and explore the situation and why it spurs the reaction it does.

What comes to mind is shadow work. I've listened to an audio program by Robert Augustus Masters on the Shadow and the approach is similar- He guides you to imagine a situation where you felt a certain way, invite the feeling and give it space and welcome it, "Integrate it". Stop running away from it, stop disowning it but face it and accept it.

I honestly want to move on, that's what I want. And I want to make sure that all of the situations in my life have been emotionally processed. So when I think back to what happened 10 years ago or 2 years ago I've made peace with it, gained the lesson and moved on.

My fear hear is sacrificing the personal for the transpersonal if that makes sense. I do understand that my personal story is just that, a story, but if I haven't processed certain aspects of it and situations, I'm simply bypassing them by not caring about my life story because it's not spiritual or whatever. 

A couple of quotes come to mind:
"One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious." -Carl Jung 

"He said, "How long will you boil in the fire?"  I said "until I'm pure..."" - Rumi 

@PhilI'd really love to hear from you as well 🙏

Thank you:) 

29 minutes ago, Phil said:

I can point to some specifics and offer what comes to mind if you like but the overall question that comes to mind is…

What do you want more, than to feel great everyday? 

I was referring to the last comment I made and specifically to shadow work and the overall difference in the approach mentioned, one being focusing upon better feeling thoughts when a discordant one arises, the other one being inquiring into the thought and the life situation or segment it is part of.

I'm asking all this because  sometimes I am even afraid to think, as I'm feeling far from great and it feels like I'm disconnected from my life in general. Some days even thinking about everyday stuff feels hard and when I try to focus on something else it is quite difficult to be productive, to function properly, do my job, etc.

On one hand I do realize that thought, no matter what it contains is just that, a thought, but on the other I feel like the content of the thought is important and that is the personal touch of life and is part of me that needs to be seen, heard and integrated. 

It feels like if I focus upon something else when a discordant thought arises I simply flee the scene so to speak and turn my back on a situation and a, figuratively speaking, less mature version of me, when it comes to past experiences. 

Now on your question, honestly, it's difficult to answer.  What comes to mind is I want to make peace with my past and with the present. I want to cherish and be proud of my life, understand what happened in the past, process it emotionally and "get the gold" so to speak. I want a meaningful life where I don't feel helpless and weak and enjoy the ride.
I guess it all boils down to feeling great though. Or feeling great while doing all this. 

🙏

@Phil I think so, yes. 
In order to feel great all the time I feel like I need to process all of my past emotional traumas\life situations.
I feel like I've been dissociating from painful feelings, hurt, fear, insecurity etc for at least 5-6 years now. 
I need to understand how to deal with my emotions, how I'm keeping myself in the lower end of the scale.
That's what comes to mind initially. 

9 hours ago, Inno said:

@Phil I think so, yes. 
In order to feel great all the time I feel like I need to process all of my past emotional traumas\life situations.

These questions might be easy, simple and clear, or difficult, helpful, not helpful at all, or disregarded entirely. It’s one of many ways of uncovering the truth in regard to feeling and emotion. 

Where, in the literal sense, are the past emotional traumas/life situations… which are said to need to be processed? 

If you were making mashed potatoes and removing the skins from the potatoes is said to be the processing of the potatoes, the very first step would be locating the potatoes. It would not be possible to process the potatoes unless you actually have the potatoes. Only then could the processing step take place. 

Where are the past emotional traumas / life situations, which are said to need to be processed?  In the literal physical sense, where do you have them? 

I certainly don’t mean this in any mocking sense, but in the inspect and see what is literally, actually true of direct experience sense… by where I mean literally. Are past emotional traumas/life situations in a pocket, in a cupboard, in a duffle bag? In a body, in a mind? 

If you have these, and these need to be processed for you to feel how you want to feel, the first step is finding them, verifying where what is said to be had or possessed, is.  

9 hours ago, Inno said:

I feel like I've been dissociating from painful feelings, hurt, fear, insecurity etc for at least 5-6 years now. 

Likewise, where is the last 5-6 years? 

9 hours ago, Inno said:

I need to understand how to deal with my emotions, how I'm keeping myself in the lower end of the scale.

@Phil In the physical sense past trauma/life situations etc are not to be found, as they are not physical. 
They would be more of a psycho-emotional phenomenon, appearing as thoughts about a past situation that have happened, accompanied with a sharp feeling in the spectrum of fear, insecurity, worthlessness, helplessness. In some occasions I'd say that the thoughts are not about a specific situation (or at least I can't seem to find the specific thought that feels off) but rather a general sense. 

Same with the past 5-6 years. I understand that the only thing in terms of time is the Present moment, so the past is not something directly experienced, rather some thoughts about my past, life events, traumas etc. 

@Inno

Thanks. Again, I can appreciate these might be difficult questions. The point is kind of finding where the light can get in so to speak, and illuminate & liberate. What comes to mind…

Are the discordant thoughts about a past, or a person?

When considering an answer… how much discord or relief or clarity is felt, when the answer is ‘a past’?

How much discord or relief or clarity is felt when the answer is ‘a person’?

Is any relief felt when bringing forgiveness of self to mind?

Likewise, when bringing forgiveness of other to mind? 

Which do you figure comes first in terms of healing and moving forward… understanding, or forgiveness?

If psycho-emotional phenomenon is not physical…. What is ‘physical’?  Essentially, is ‘physical’ a belief, an illusion, an appearance, a concept, etc…?  

What is an example of what (anything)  is physical?  

Put another way, has ‘physical’ been inspected in the light of, is physical a belief (which perhaps plays a role in perpetuating suffering)? Has this been inspected to see if it’s a belief? What if reality is vibrational? What difference would this make, what comes to mind as potential changes in view, as to what’s relevant and what’s not relevant?

Also along the lines of relevance… in looking at the emotional scale… what is the relevance of expressing the self referential concept of helplessness (not on the scale)… vs expressing the next emotion on the scale, which is jealousy (on the scale)?