Weird Expressions, Languages, Words.

Blessed2

Any interesting words and expressions, differences in language, words that don't exist in other tongues etc. Etymology. Similarities and synchoricities. Striking pointings in language. Let's talk.

I am the playful and ever-present Source, joyfully embracing every thought and emotion as part of my perfect, unfolding co-creative dream.

Like for example, in Finnish there are two words for the English term "jealousy". They are kateellisuus and mustasukkaisuus.

Kateellisuus is a word as it's own. It's basically directly translatable as jealousy.

Mustasukkaisuus not so much though. It's two words. Musta + sukka-isuus.

Musta means black. Sukka means sock.

So mustasukkaisuus means: black sockedness. Having black socks.

Weird.

Black sockedness is usually used as an expression of jealousy specificallly about for example the person you're attracted to, like a spouse, being attracted to another person. Or maybe an ex is with a new partner and you experience mustasukkaisuus. 

Why black socks?  Why jealousy specifically about relationships?  🤔

I am the playful and ever-present Source, joyfully embracing every thought and emotion as part of my perfect, unfolding co-creative dream.

Here’s a weird one…  in English, "gift" means a present or something given willingly to someone without payment. In German, gift means poison.

Also interesting… In English, "the present" can refer to both a gift and the current moment in time, creating a unique double meaning or pointing to these being one & the same. In other languages, these are two distinct concepts typically have two distinct words.

On 9/4/2024 at 2:16 PM, judy said:

"Es tut mir leid", which literally translates to "it does me sorrow" (i guess the same as "i'm sorry") or "it causes me suffering".... although we wouldn't typically think of guilt or suffering when using these expressions.

Interesting. In what sort of situation would that be said then, if not when you'd think/feel guilt/suffering?

On 9/5/2024 at 11:38 PM, Phil said:

"Wabi-sabi", Japanese, means ‘finding beauty in imperfection’. According to GPT the term has no English equivalent, but I disagree. 

Why do you disagree?

On 9/6/2024 at 6:39 PM, Phil said:

That aspects are forward in the sense being, many words backwards, which is actually forwards, are revealing. 

Like, ‘ever’, such as in ‘for ever’ or ‘ever more’. 

What? 😂

I find it fascinating how in Islam it's often believed that the Quran can only be understood/interpreted via old/traditional Arabic.

Yet most muslims around the world don't even speak Arabic, nor especially Old Arabic, as their first tongue. 🤔

So I wonder... If for example, I wanted to become a muslim... How would that even be possible? My mother's tongue is Finnish. And to learn Arabic, each word would have to be translated through Finnish to Arabic, and then, through the finnish-to-arabic translation, I'd read Quran. 😄 But would that really be true Arabic? Wouldn't it be just a poor translation? 🤔

The geographical center of the United States is in Lebanon, Kansas. "Lebanon" means "Place of Whiteness" from the word "laban" which means "to be white".

11 hours ago, Isagi Yoichi said:

Why in hell do native English speakers with their tongues to pronounce the TH sound?, sounds like a lot of work and is annoying doesn't your tongue get exhausted and hurt, 

You mean like in words "the", "that", "this", "there"?

Just now, Isagi Yoichi said:

yeah all the th sounds

Yeah IKR?? I just learned the right way to pronounce it like a couple of months ago even though I've been learning english since pretty much preschool. It's a pain in the ass to re-learn the correct tongue placement. There isn't a single sound in finnish language where the tongue goes that far forward. 😂

I think it's different for words like "month" or "anthology" though.