The End of Suffering: Cessation of the Inner Resistance

Orb

There's something I noticed along the path that I call the inner resistance, it's that subtle sense of resistance that arises to try to push back against whatever we believe to be uncomfortable or undesirable. This inner resistance is the root of suffering, it's that subtle sense that somethings not right about this moment. 

The truth is that we cannot avoid pain or pleasure.

When we experience pleasure from the inner resistance mode of being: we dont allow ourselves to fully enjoy it because we fear that it might go away or we become obsessed with prolonging that sensation. 

When we experience pain/discomfort from the inner resistance mode of being: we are discontent in the moment because we think we need to feel "better" in order to be happy, then we think of ways to avoid these uncomfortable feelings (the perfect diet, the perfect way of thinking, coping strategies, etc.) only to come back in a loop and experience discomfort again eventually! 

What a bind!

Here's the trick: whenever the inevitable "oh shit here it is again" moment comes, whenever there's discomfort or pain or a pleasurable experience comes to an end: notice the inner resistance coming up, notice that sense of disappointment of things not going the way you want them to, and let that feeling of disappointment be there, and do not "rise up" against that feeling and try to solve it or fight it. 

Things will simplify, all resolves itself, fear dissipates, while Unbound Feeling remains and is more and more unfettered. 

Suddenly life may actually become more favorable for you, but you no longer cling to things needing to be a certain way. 

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture

Also as paradoxical as it may sound: whatever life changes youre making to better your experience, please continue and enjoy it! 

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 7:42 PM, Orb said:

Does Being or Awareness experience pain or pleasure?  I would frame it as does the Self experience pain or pleasure?  I think you get my question though.  What is it that experiences pain or pleasure?

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

4 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Does Being or Awareness experience pain or pleasure?  I would frame it as does the Self experience pain or pleasure?  I think you get my question though.  What is it that experiences pain or pleasure?

There is simply the experience of pain or pleasure. 

On 5/19/2024 at 5:42 AM, Orb said:

There's something I noticed along the path that I call the inner resistance, it's that subtle sense of resistance that arises to try to push back against whatever we believe to be uncomfortable or undesirable. This inner resistance is the root of suffering, it's that subtle sense that somethings not right about this moment. 

When we experience pleasure from the inner resistance mode of being: we dont allow ourselves to fully enjoy it because we fear that it might go away or we become obsessed with prolonging that sensation. 

When we experience pain/discomfort from the inner resistance mode of being: we are discontent in the moment because we think we need to feel "better" in order to be happy, then we think of ways to avoid these uncomfortable feelings (the perfect diet, the perfect way of thinking, coping strategies, etc.) only to come back in a loop and experience discomfort again eventually! 

What a bind!

Here's the trick: whenever the inevitable "oh shit here it is again" moment comes, whenever there's discomfort or pain or a pleasurable experience comes to an end: notice the inner resistance coming up, notice that sense of disappointment of things not going the way you want them to, and let that feeling of disappointment be there, and do not "rise up" against that feeling and try to solve it or fight it. 

Things will simplify, all resolves itself, fear dissipates, while Unbound Feeling remains and is more and more unfettered. 

Suddenly life may actually become more favorable for you, but you no longer cling to things needing to be a certain way. 

İt is cool what you write, thank you for sharing. 

However, end of pain is (more deeper) fundemantally not seeking any pleasure or expectation. Any pain is created via thinking, because thinking is the core of pleasure and expectations. 

İf you do not attach with thinking, you will not seek, therefore not suffer whatsoever. 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, James123 said:

İf you do not attach with thinking, you will not seek, therefore not suffer whatsoever.

Bliss.  The Self does not experience pleasure or pain.  The Self does not think thoughts. 👍

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

7 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Bliss.  The Self does not experience pleasure or pain.  The Self does not think thoughts. 👍

You have no idea what Self is. Did you understand what i write? 

1 minute ago, Joseph Maynor said:

There is no Joseph Maynor.

So you understand what I write, that's ego brother. You have no idea what ego is. It doesn't come with reading or understanding, it comes with direct realization. 

You are just fooling yourself. 

Peace!!

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, James123 said:

So you understand what I write, that's ego brother. You have no idea what ego is. It doesn't come with reading or understanding, it comes with direct realization. 

You are just fooling yourself. 

Peace!!

You're so confused.  You're trying to teach something that doesn't exist.  I keep trying to point this out and you're not getting it.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

.  I keep trying to point this out and you're not getting it.  

There is no James or I to get it as you said. LMFAO. Hahahahahaha. Damn, You got it now. Hahahahahaha. See you are deluded, stop reading books.

Knowing the path and walking the path are completely 2 different things brother. Just saying to no one. Lol. 

Edited by James123

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, James123 said:

There is no James or I to get it as you said. LMFAO. Hahahahahaha. Damn, You got it now. Hahahahahaha. See you are deluded, stop reading books.

That's right!  So here we are.  That's the end of suffering!  I know you are but what Am I?  Lol.  Read those words.  ❤️

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

3 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

That's right!  So here we are.  That's the end of suffering!  I know you are but what Am I?  Lol.  Read those words.  ❤️

1717338561437.jpg

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, James123 said:

İt is cool what you write, thank you for sharing. 

However, end of pain is (more deeper) fundemantally not seeking any pleasure or expectation. Any pain is created via thinking, because thinking is the core of pleasure and expectations. 

Thanks for adding, I definitely can sense whats meant here. Pain and Pleasure are thought objects and themselves aren't real. But the sensation of a stomach ache does remain the same.

Edited by Orb