What is temptation?

Blessed2

Looking to outside objects for good feeling. Or because there AREN'T outside separate objects, it can manifest as the opposite and be resistance to appreciation in the moment. "I can't enjoy what I am seeing/hearing now, because it's bad or wrong and will lead to something in the future." For example, for someone who believes rock music is evil, hearing a rock song in a store and finding that they enjoy it might be what they call a temptation. They have been taught that suffering will ensue if they enjoy rock music. Seeing an attractive person when you're in a relationship and instead of appreciating it as it is in the moment without having to possess it, or interact with it in a certain way. The temptation won't go away until you love it without condition now. But the future consumption, future consummation, fear of future punishment is usually the assumed condition that results in discord for the thought occurring now. "Another donut, noticing the hot girl looking at me when my partner isn't pleasing me right now, another drink." Temptation is the explanation of it, the assumption of separation and conditions. It's attracted because there's always 

Explore also integrity and intention. 

Youtube Channel  

17 minutes ago, James123 said:

How do you know?

I don't know. That's why I'm asking. 😁

17 minutes ago, James123 said:

Who thought you?

Nobody. Everyone is talking about temptation, but no-one seems to actually clearly define it.

There must be an effortless way.

21 minutes ago, Mandy said:

Or because there AREN'T outside separate objects, it can manifest as the opposite and be resistance to appreciation in the moment. "I can't enjoy what I am seeing/hearing now, because it's bad or wrong and will lead to something in the future." For example, for someone who believes rock music is evil, hearing a rock song in a store and finding that they enjoy it might be what they call a temptation.

That makes sense.

"I shouldn't" conveys or assumes that there would be a separate self having a separate will. Maybe only after that assumption it may seem as if there's temptation.

23 minutes ago, Mandy said:

Temptation is the explanation of it, the assumption of separation and conditions. It's attracted because there's always 

There's always what? THERE'S ALWAYS WHAT?!??!

home-alone.thumb.gif.ac219a820985e848d81e59bf91b04905.gif

@Blessed2 😂 Sorry, it's the last day of April vacation today and it's a circus here with my kids asking for stuff. 😆

It's always the momentum playing out. You can't try to stop the momentum at play you want to switch to focus on starting new momentum. Cause this moment is always new anyway.  

Youtube Channel  

34 minutes ago, Mandy said:

Explore also integrity and intention. 

The old paradigm sees both of these also as some kind of quality I should develop, cultivate and work for, fix about myself. Something I do with my own power.

That paradigm is a hamster wheel though, and doesn't seem to lead to anywhere except guilt and unworthiness.

2 minutes ago, Blessed2 said:

The old paradigm sees both of these also as some kind of quality I should develop, cultivate and work for, fix about myself. Something I do with my own power.

That paradigm is a hamster wheel though, and doesn't seem to lead to anywhere except guilt and unworthiness.

🙏 I was just suggesting to explore what those words really mean. Alignment is a much more clarifying word choice. 

Youtube Channel  

2 minutes ago, Mandy said:

🙏 I was just suggesting to explore what those words really mean. Alignment is a much more clarifying word choice. 

Yeah, maybe.

Though I think that any word will be hijacked by the pre-assumption of being a separate self.

So lately I've really been feeling pointing out the pre-assumption first thing prior to anything else. If it isn't noticed, everything that follows will be just another hamster wheel.

Even the most lovely message and words will be distorted upside down if the activity of claiming of being the doer, the hearer isn't noticed. Whatever happened to the words of Jesus. 🤔

19 hours ago, Blessed2 said:

I don't know. That's why I'm asking. 😁

Nobody. Everyone is talking about temptation, but no-one seems to actually clearly define it.

Any knowledge is an illusion. 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

I asked my kid one time what he makes of doubt, and he said “I’d just doubt the doubt”. I was a little “god damn it ish” at how simple & brilliant it was. Today I asked him what do you make of temptation, and he said “I’d just tempt the temptation” and again I’m like God damn it. 

Yah, I think temptation is a self-conceptualization. If there was hell, that there is such a thing as "temptation" would be like one of the building blocks.

As soon as "temptation" is believed to be a thing, you've already lost and there is no salvation in that calculation. It might be believed that the salvation will be somehwere in the future, but salvation in the future is no salvation at all.

One way to look at temptation is need versus preferences appearing. If actions and behaviors are aligned feeling preferences, is there really any temptation involved?

If actions and behaviors are not aligned feeling/not aligned with preferences, does there now seem to be temptation involved?

If so, that might be framed as need on behalf of a separate self, which is not whole and complete as is, and therefore needs and is tempted, or there would likely be an experience of temptation.

That experiential need might point to a discordant belief about not being whole and complete as is in some way. That discordant belief might ultimately point to what love is withheld from, what is believed to be unacceptable or not Good. If so, the alignment or remedy would be flipping the script on thought and loving that as is, whatever that is.