Low Protein & Low Fat Diet

I've started to eat a vegan diet with lower protein & low fat for healing digestion.
I've mostly been eating veggies, fruits and some oats and buckwheat the past week.

I can finally eat fruit again. I've been able to eat pears, apples, blueberries and pineapple. Bananas and dates have felt bad. Apples and blueberries felt off the first days but today it felt ok, it might have been because I still ate some oil the first days.
I don't feel well when eating oats.

To my surprise I felt ok with potatoes, I haven't eaten that in a few years.

I've not been eating any legumes or protein rich foods the past week either. But I think I will add some legumes I tolerate now because I feel kind of weak as I've eaten very light.
I don't really have a big appetite either and I eat twice a day but it's been like that for a long time.

I'm confused about how all of this goes against everything that I've been told about how I need a lot of protein (and the right kind of protein) and healthy fats.
Is it wise to simply eat whatever feels good and let go of any kind of beliefs about diet? Or is it also important to listen to science and what's "right" to do?

I don't feel like eating like this long-term, I want to feel free to eat whatever I want that feels good without following any kind of rules. Not sure how long I need to eat like this, as I still have a lot of issues.

I don't want to be super skinny either, I want to be fit and I believe I need more protein for that.

@Mandy  I actually sent back the Medical Medium book because I felt worry about the costs of all of it. I thought I should be able to heal without that cleanse, just by resolving the root cause.

Edited by noomii

@noomii The reason I recommended that book and specifically not the lifestyle is because it's a cleanse that you can do, and then go back to how you ate before, but with more awareness of how certain foods affect you. You may keep some foods out and some of that you tried in. In my experience it gives many of the benefits of fasting while still offering even more nutrients and vitamins that a normal diet. It also tends to blow a lot of "I can't eat that and feel ok" hang ups when it comes to extremely healthy foods out of the water. 

30 minutes ago, noomii said:

Is it wise to simply eat whatever feels good and let go of any kind of beliefs about diet? Or is it also important to listen to science and what's "right" to do?

Notice how the interpretations feel. Science hasn't made up it's mind on any it because science doesn't have a mind. Because of the social media influencer thing, extreme diets and overconfident gurus are the thing. It makes it more confusing if you try to find one that's right in the exclusion of others. I found the high protein high fat ones first, they seem to be the loudest. That's when I started having issues with all kinds of foods. For me the medical medium cleanse and changes I made after are what really helped, I did other things as well. By doing the cleanse i noticed that a lot of simple things were off, too little water, too much salt, too little fresh produce. I really don't think the anti fruit rhetoric helped anyone. 😬It's almost like we had a rebellious phase of the 90's low fat dogma. 

If oats are bothering you, are you eating the gluten free ones? High amounts of even the GF ones can be hard to digest. I don't do well with the ones that aren't GF at all. If they bother you, there's no need to make them work, they are just a good inexpensive, easy food, low problematic grain if you still want to do grains. 

Try to let go of the right/wrong and let your own intuition take the reins. Medical Medium tries to own, package and sell that seems more and more so as time goes on. I think he got it right a lot, and I'm glad for the guidance that came when it did. I bought the book, didn't resonate with it or the tone at all, then was getting rid of books and intuitively kept it. Vibration moved up instead of lowered. Didn't know why. Then the time was right, and when I asked it was right there on the shelf. You will be intuitively called to what's right for you when it's right in the same way. It doesn't mean any book and any ONE is right or wrong. 

Youtube Channel  

18 hours ago, Mandy said:

@noomii The reason I recommended that book and specifically not the lifestyle is because it's a cleanse that you can do, and then go back to how you ate before, but with more awareness of how certain foods affect you. You may keep some foods out and some of that you tried in. In my experience it gives many of the benefits of fasting while still offering even more nutrients and vitamins that a normal diet. It also tends to blow a lot of "I can't eat that and feel ok" hang ups when it comes to extremely healthy foods out of the water. 

What do you mean by lifestyle and why not?

I haven't looked at what's eaten during the cleanse so I'm not trying to eat like that. Just the things you recommended, then I tried out less protein and focused more on the carbs to see how it felt.

If oats are bothering you, are you eating the gluten free ones? High amounts of even the GF ones can be hard to digest. I don't do well with the ones that aren't GF at all. If they bother you, there's no need to make them work, they are just a good inexpensive, easy food, low problematic grain if you still want to do grains. 

I eat gluten free oats. They seem to feel the same as the ones with gluten for me, not sure though.

@noomii 

Notice how the interpretations feel. Science hasn't made up it's mind on any it because science doesn't have a mind. Because of the social media influencer thing, extreme diets and overconfident gurus are the thing. It makes it more confusing if you try to find one that's right in the exclusion of others. I found the high protein high fat ones first, they seem to be the loudest. That's when I started having issues with all kinds of foods. For me the medical medium cleanse and changes I made after are what really helped, I did other things as well. By doing the cleanse i noticed that a lot of simple things were off, too little water, too much salt, too little fresh produce. I really don't think the anti fruit rhetoric helped anyone. 😬It's almost like we had a rebellious phase of the 90's low fat dogma. 

Well I ate Paleo diet before, and that felt better for me after feeling bad on a vegan diet for years, but when I was vegan at that time I ate some gluten, sugar, soy and didn't have much food that I tolerated. 
I started eating less meat not long ago just because I don't feel good about the thought of killing animals.

Try to let go of the right/wrong and let your own intuition take the reins. Medical Medium tries to own, package and sell that seems more and more so as time goes on. I think he got it right a lot, and I'm glad for the

guidance that came when it did. I bought the book, didn't resonate with it or the tone at all, then was getting rid of books and intuitively kept it. Vibration moved up instead of lowered. Didn't know why. Then the time was right, and when I asked it was right there on the shelf. You will be intuitively called to what's right for you when it's right in the same way. It doesn't mean any book and any ONE is right or wrong. 

I'm just confused about what to do if the candida symptoms come back again. I guess I could just go back to how I eat right now if that happens, but if it comes back easily then I don't think it was healed.
I just want to resolve it once and for all. Especially for social events and holidays I just really want to be free of the symptoms of pain and emotional discord when eating.

I don't really understand how to resolve the root cause when the candida was triggered by a medical supplement that I don't even take anymore.

Also I read from Louise Hay:
"Candida: Feeling very scattered. Lots of frustration and anger. Demanding and untrusting in relationships. Great takers."

I don't think of myself as demanding or untrusting but I don't know, maybe others think so.

Try to let go of the right/wrong and let your own intuition take the reins. Medical Medium tries to own, package and sell that seems more and more so as time goes on. I think he got it right a lot, and I'm glad for the guidance that came when it did. I bought the book, didn't resonate with it or the tone at all, then was getting rid of books and intuitively kept it. Vibration moved up instead of lowered. Didn't know why. Then the time was right, and when I asked it was right there on the shelf. You will be intuitively called to what's right for you when it's right in the same way. It doesn't mean any book and any ONE is right or wrong. 

There's a lot Medical Medium says that I don't resonate with either, especially not from hearing about how many people that have had a bad experience from the heavy metal detox, but I'm still open to try the other stuff some time.

19 hours ago, noomii said:

I'm confused about how all of this goes against everything that I've been told about how I need a lot of protein (and the right kind of protein) and healthy fats.

You can live off of just purely potatoes, you get everything you need from them. You can also go without eating anything for a month. Many people have done both of these.

9 minutes ago, Devin said:

You can live off of just purely potatoes, you get everything you need from them. You can also go without eating anything for a month. Many people have done both of these.

I was thinking more about if it could affect your health negatively if eating low protein and low fat for many years.

10 minutes ago, noomii said:

What do you mean by lifestyle and why not?

In this case an identity based on right and wrong and having the "best knowledge or plan" over others. 

I don't attempt to do low protein or high carb, I do limit refined carbs and refined fats, and focus instead on fruits and veggies.

Youtube Channel  

19 hours ago, noomii said:

What a great question. It brought to mind the interesting factoid of the definition of vitamin. A vitamin is an organic compound that is essential to the body, yet which the body doesn’t produce or doesn’t produce enough of. That points to a oneness, a symbiosis, of the body and food. In that same manor, imo, it’s not an either  how it feels or what research suggests kind of  answer. It’s more of a ‘both’ are actually one and the same, a symbiosis. Allow both to inform you of what is and isn’t aligned, keeping in mind that some aspects are generally the same for all bodies and some aspects are unique, and there is a process of trial & error when it comes to fine tuning. 

I landed on this shake and whole foods many years ago after much ‘trial & error’. When I’ve deviated, in terms of how it feels and what research suggests, I’ve always went back to this. Not to mention I find it delicious and more satisfying than anything else. In addition to being packed with all the legumes & ‘healthy stuff I should eat’, it’s cheaper, easier and quicker to make, which is where the name comes from. It may or may not resonate as much with you but I’d give it a try. 

https://www.actualityofbeing.com/the-loophole-shake

13 minutes ago, Devin said:

You may want to consult with a nutritionist and doctor as your diet can lead to nutrient deficiencies and a variety of health issues, and strict fasting for a month can be beneficial, but can also pose severe health risks. 

20 hours ago, noomii said:

I've started to eat a vegan diet with lower protein & low fat for healing digestion.
I've mostly been eating veggies, fruits and some oats and buckwheat the past week.

I personally feel better on a high protein and high fat diet. 
My mom is completely vegan though and I was as well when I was a kid so I have some experience with the diet.

normally I say follow what feels good and if you work out eat lots of protein. However with vegan diets there are certain things to be aware of. There are a bunch of nutrients you can’t get unless you eat animal products.

If you stay vegan long term, look into creatine supplementation. Creatine supplementation in vegetarians improved cognitive performance and it’s good for building muscle. Also be careful about low iron levels. That’s very common in vegans. My mom is anemic. There is iron in some vegan foods but it’s far less bio available than heme iron which is found in meat. So if you stay vegan definitely look into iron supplements.

I can finally eat fruit again. I've been able to eat pears, apples, blueberries and pineapple. Bananas and dates have felt bad. Apples and blueberries felt off the first days but today it felt ok, it might have been because I still ate some oil the first days.
I don't feel well when eating oats.

To my surprise I felt ok with potatoes, I haven't eaten that in a few years.

not surprising about the oats. Apparently oats have a compound in them that blocks the absorption of certain nutrients which can lead to deficiency.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/are-oats-healthy/

Also oats often have traces of glyphosate which is a toxic weed killer. 

I've not been eating any legumes or protein rich foods the past week either. But I think I will add some legumes I tolerate now because I feel kind of weak as I've eaten very light.
I don't really have a big appetite either and I eat twice a day but it's been like that for a long time.

follow what feels good. Nutrition science is always changing. The science used to be that seed oils like canola oil, soybean oil, etc are good for you and animal fats are really bad. Lately new studies have been coming out showing that animal fats like butter may actually be good for us and seed oils are really bad.

I believe olive oil and avocado oil are good for you though.

I don't feel like eating like this long-term, I want to feel free to eat whatever I want that feels good without following any kind of rules. Not sure how long I need to eat like this, as I still have a lot of issues.

if you don’t mind me asking, what issues are you trying to fix with your diet?

I don't want to be super skinny either, I want to be fit and I believe I need more protein for that.

definitely eat more protein then. My mom is vegan and doesn’t eat vegan junk food. She’s super skinny and frail.

@Mandy  I actually sent back the Medical Medium book because I felt worry about the costs of all of it. I thought I should be able to heal without that cleanse, just by resolving the root cause.

On 11/28/2023 at 7:11 PM, Mandy said:

In this case an identity based on right and wrong and having the "best knowledge or plan" over others. 

I don't attempt to do low protein or high carb, I do limit refined carbs and refined fats, and focus instead on fruits and veggies.

I'm just trying to find what works for me, I just don't want to restrict my diet more than necessary.

I stumbled over a youtube channel a while ago called Gut Feelings, a naturopath that is influenced by medical medium. She said that protein and fat are harder to digest than carbs, so she recommended to not eat too much of protein rich foods in one meal. So that's why I tried it.

It might just seem like "low protein" to me because I compare it to when I ate high protein and low carb.

I ate chocolate pancakes made from eggs, buckwheat with blueberries & honey on top today. Ugh. I used to eat a lot of it before I stopped with eggs. This time it was more obvious to me that it felt off, like a heavy tiredness. Probably the eggs. 

On 11/28/2023 at 7:13 PM, Phil said:

What a great question. It brought to mind the interesting factoid of the definition of vitamin. A vitamin is an organic compound that is essential to the body, yet which the body doesn’t produce or doesn’t produce enough of. That points to a oneness, a symbiosis, of the body and food. In that same manor, imo, it’s not an either  how it feels or what research suggests kind of  answer. It’s more of a ‘both’ are actually one and the same, a symbiosis. Allow both to inform you of what is and isn’t aligned, keeping in mind that some aspects are generally the same for all bodies and some aspects are unique, and there is a process of trial & error when it comes to fine tuning. 

That resonates. 🙂

I've read that it's important to get complete protein with all the essential amino acids. I guess that's one example of where maybe it's good to listen to what research says.

On 11/28/2023 at 7:13 PM, Phil said:

I landed on this shake and whole foods many years ago after much ‘trial & error’. When I’ve deviated, in terms of how it feels and what research suggests, I’ve always went back to this. Not to mention I find it delicious and more satisfying than anything else. In addition to being packed with all the legumes & ‘healthy stuff I should eat’, it’s cheaper, easier and quicker to make, which is where the name comes from. It may or may not resonate as much with you but I’d give it a try. 

https://www.actualityofbeing.com/the-loophole-shake

Thanks for sharing!

On 11/28/2023 at 8:19 PM, Kevin said:

I personally feel better on a high protein and high fat diet. 
My mom is completely vegan though and I was as well when I was a kid so I have some experience with the diet.

normally I say follow what feels good and if you work out eat lots of protein. However with vegan diets there are certain things to be aware of. There are a bunch of nutrients you can’t get unless you eat animal products.

If you stay vegan long term, look into creatine supplementation. Creatine supplementation in vegetarians improved cognitive performance and it’s good for building muscle. Also be careful about low iron levels. That’s very common in vegans. My mom is anemic. There is iron in some vegan foods but it’s far less bio available than heme iron which is found in meat. So if you stay vegan definitely look into iron supplements.

I didn't know about creatine.

It seems more natural to me to just eat meat if the body truly needs creatine and if that's the only natural source of it. 

Also be careful about low iron levels. That’s very common in vegans. My mom is anemic. There is iron in some vegan foods but it’s far less bio available than heme iron which is found in meat. So if you stay vegan definitely look into iron supplements.

I think one needs to consult with a doctor before taking iron because it's not good to supplement too much of it either.

not surprising about the oats. Apparently oats have a compound in them that blocks the absorption of certain nutrients which can lead to deficiency.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/are-oats-healthy/

Also oats often have traces of glyphosate which is a toxic weed killer. 

I think that's what they call an anti-nutrient. I usually soak gluten-free grains, legumes and nuts over night and wash them off. If I remember it right that helps to remove the anti-nutrients, makes them easier to digest and helps the absorption of all the nutrients. I haven't tried that with oats but it might work.

if you don’t mind me asking, what issues are you trying to fix with your diet?

Being constantly bloated (looks like the early stages of pregnancy 🥲), constipation, gas, nausea, pain and emotional discord.

Most of it, if not all of it, is emotional suppression I think. So far a vegan gluten free diet with no oil, eggs, dairy or soy have felt best but I just want to feel more free to eat what I want.

It also feels like I'm creating unnecessary stress when I think about how I can't eat what I want and how I expect myself to feel a certain way if I eat things I believe I don't tolerate. I experience worry by writing about a diagnosis too, like it makes me keep believing in it by focusing on it.

Edited by noomii

1 hour ago, noomii said:

I didn't know about creatine.

It seems more natural to me to just eat meat if the body truly needs creatine and if that's the only natural source of it. 

yeah I agree . Best to eat meat. But at the end of the day of course do what feels right for you.

1 hour ago, noomii said:

I think one needs to consult with a doctor before taking iron because it's not good to supplement too much of it either.

I think that's what they call an anti-nutrient. I usually soak gluten-free grains, legumes and nuts over night and wash them off. If I remember it right that helps to remove the anti-nutrients, makes them easier to digest and helps the absorption of all the nutrients. I haven't tried that with oats but it might work.

Being constantly bloated (looks like the early stages of pregnancy 🥲), constipation, gas, nausea, pain and emotional discord.

Most of it, if not all of it, is emotional suppression I think. So far a vegan gluten free diet with no oil, eggs, dairy or soy have felt best but I just want to feel more free to eat what I want.

From here it seems diet related but of course you know your situation best. If these symptoms become too problematic, an elimination diet can be good. It will help you figure out if it’s an emotional problem or a diet problem and you’ll be able to figure out what foods are causing the problems.

1 hour ago, noomii said:

It also feels like I'm creating unnecessary stress when I think about how I can't eat what I want and how I expect myself to feel a certain way if I eat things I believe I don't tolerate. I experience worry by writing about a diagnosis too, like it makes me keep believing in it by focusing on it.

Yeah it sounds stressful. At the end of the day, nutrition science is always changing so keep experimenting and do what works for you.

Also in my experience. Diet related things start to go away when you experience more calm and emotional equanimity. I would often overeat and I would eat a bunch of junk food as a coping mechanism. When you don’t feel like you have to cope with things food will become a lot less complicated.