When you're sitting and meditating and birds are chirping, how do you know that birds are chirping? 

How do you know there's a body breathing in and out? 

How do you know cars are passing by? 

How do you know that there's a kind of narrative going on right now, some kind of sequence of events? 

This isn't really a topic to discuss, it's more just something to consider the next time anyone meditates, the sensations we take for granted, the sound of rain, the feeling we call the body, etc. What if that isn't what we think it is? 

What happens when raindrops are heard but we let go of knowing what we think that sound is? 

♾️

Just want to express as some discord came up while reading this...

Basically a thought: "Great, once again something new I need to achieve or make happen or heal."

As if I had a pile of goals and achievements and things I need to make work, succeed in or heal in my life.

The emotion(s) experienced are: discouragement

Crazy how that interpretation just kind of popped out. Like "muscle memory" but with discordant thoughts.

By feeling into it, something that feels more aligned is questioning whether there is a me that must achieve something, or that whether there is a me who meditates or doesn't meditate, or has experiences while meditating.

This just came up and wanted to write it out "on the spot" 😂

There must be an effortless way.

@Blessed2 thanks for sharing 🙂

there's no need to achieve anything, just tapping into a child-like curiosity into the nature of sensations. 

Essentially just feeling more, figuring out less. 

5 minutes ago, Blessed2 said:

By feeling into it, something that feels more aligned is questioning whether there is a me that must achieve something, or that whether there is a me who meditates or doesn't meditate, or has experiences while meditating.

This just came up and wanted to write it out "on the spot" 😂

Another question I forgot to put in the op is How do you know there's someone meditating right now or not meditating? 

♾️

This reminds me of a meditation in which the boundaries of a mind inside a skull dissolved and there was simply appearances appearing. Bird chirps appeared with thoughts and there was no difference between the bird chirps and thoughts appearing. Then fascination arose with space. The bird chirps and thoughts were appearing in the same space - neither was further or closer than the other. Yet the mind could also place the bird chirps at a distance. I was amazed at how precise the distance was. My mind created a map in which the bird chirps were coming from the back-right corner of my yard, about 10 meters above the ground. . . In the context of human evolution, I was fascinated that the mind has evolved this ability to sense disruptions in air and convert that to a sound AND create a precise location of that sound in 3-dimensional space. An important evolution in terms of human survival in their environment. It allows better detection of threatening predators, hunting prey and communication among fellow humans.

Just an experience of unknowing of an ordinary occurrence and having new experiences and insights.

@Sunrise thanks for sharing, that was greatly detailed.  Oh yes when the distance falls away, when subject-object falls away, it's just blissful intimacy. 

Sounds like you saw for yourself how thought creates a subject and object, then calls the (believed) space between them "distance". It's the essence of the Witness/Observer illusion. Very good stuff. 👍 

What is Mind from your understanding? I think inspecting this Mind, trying to locate it in direct experience can be very fruitful. Is it behind the eyes? Literally focus there and look for it. 

Edited by Orb

♾️

On 9/26/2023 at 12:47 AM, Orb said:

When you're sitting and meditating and birds are chirping, how do you know that birds are chirping? 

How do you know there's a body breathing in and out? 

How do you know cars are passing by? 

How do you know that there's a kind of narrative going on right now, some kind of sequence of events? 

This isn't really a topic to discuss, it's more just something to consider the next time anyone meditates, the sensations we take for granted, the sound of rain, the feeling we call the body, etc. What if that isn't what we think it is? 

What happens when raindrops are heard but we let go of knowing what we think that sound is? 

Knowledge is the biggest illusion. Learned by so called humans. How do they know? Reality, what is it, how do they know? Real, what is real or unreal? 

Ultimate answer of all questions are there is no such thing as question nor answer. What a beauty, what a beauty. 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

1 hour ago, James123 said:

Knowledge is the biggest illusion. Learned by so called humans. How do they know? Reality, what is it, how do they know? Real, what is real or unreal? 

Ultimate answer of all questions are there is no such thing as question nor answer. What a beauty, what a beauty. 

Thanks for sharing this 🙂. Suddenly a Koan arises from the Void "How can something that has never began come to an end?". I will let this settle and see what falls away. 

43 minutes ago, Devin said:

Knowledge

Know ledge

Know limit

Know limits vs. NO Limits

😁 that's good.

♾️

25 minutes ago, Orb said:

Thanks for sharing this 🙂. Suddenly a Koan arises from the Void "How can something that has never began come to an end?". I will let this settle and see what falls away. 

Anytime beother. What is beginning or ending? Truth or you are not in the words, words are action, you/truth is just being. 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

12 minutes ago, James123 said:

Anytime beother. What is beginning or ending? Truth or you are not in the words, words are action, you/truth is just being. 

Yea anytime the subject of knowing comes up my gut tells me to stay away from trying to figure anything out 😅.

Better to Be than to figure out. 

♾️