Tips On Using The Emotional Scale

Phil

The emotional scale is from the teachings of Abraham Hicks

The tips & suggestions below are from https://www.actualityofbeing.com/the-emotional-scale.

Feel free to add any clarifying distinctions or insights, and as always, feel free to ask any questions that arise, as the asking dispels the questions and therein, any confusion.

HOW TO USE THE SCALE

Choose the emotion on the scale which is experienced.

Express simply & earnestly that the emotion is experienced.

Then do the same with the next higher emotion on the scale.

Express each emotion without skipping over any, to the top of the scale.

Feel for the subtle shift of feeling better with the expression of each emotion.

Emotion is guidance… to the experiencing of… what is wanted.
Expression of emotions experienced is not ‘about myself’.
It’s just about the expressing, the practice itself.
Keep it simple.

🤍

Choose the emotion on the scale which is experienced.

If you’re unsure which emotion is felt, start at the bottom of the scale. 

Don’t apply judgment. Don’t judge yourself for experiencing emotions, and don’t judge another by believing the thought that another is judging you. (Notice you’d be feeling that judgement.) Keep it simple; “their business, and your business”. (Byron Katie).

A story or narrative is not “simply & earnestly”. 

Some examples:

‘I’m angry’ is a narrative, a story.  

‘I feel angry’ is also a narrative, a story. 

‘He, she, this, that makes me angry’ is a story. 

‘I’m experiencing anger’ is simply, earnest. 

‘I feel disappointed’ is a story. 

‘I feel the emotion, disappointment’ is simply, earnest. 

‘I doubt’ is a story. 

‘I doubt myself’ is a story. 

‘I doubt that…’ is a story. 

‘I’m experiencing the emotion doubt’ is simply, earnest. 

What’s the difference?

With the story; the story is felt. 

Without the story; the emotion is felt. 

Express whatever arises. But don’t tell a story. Move on to the next emotion instead. 

Express each emotion without skipping over any, to the top of the scale.

If you come to an emotion on the scale and sincerely do not know if you are now or sometimes do experience that emotion, express out loud that indeed you do, and most likely are right now. The emotion one is inclined to skip, is the most significant emotion to acknowledge, honor, and express. 

Feel for the subtle shift of feeling better with the expression of each emotion.

Also notice the subtle shift to feeling better is in fact not a shift to feeling better, but is the allowing of feeling. 

So, so to speak, if you’re not feeling the subtle good feeling shifts, you’re not actually allowing the expression of the emotion. 

If & when that is the experience, there is a story being told. 

Emotion is guidance… to the experiencing of… what is wanted.

Don’t lose sight of the bigger picture, the point:

It’s not about emotions.

It’s not about expression. 

It’s not about existentialism.

It’s not about concepts.

It’s not about nonduality. 

It’s not about believing in, nor not believing in awake & asleep. 

It’s not about getting or being better. 

It’s not about Phil, Byron Katie or Abraham Hicks. 

You are the creator of reality. 

It’s about manifesting.

Magic is not actually found in reality, because reality is the magic. 

You are the Magician. 

Don’t look, wish, hope, anticipate, expect or wait - for some thing to happen or change. 

Let go of what you’re already holding. (Beliefs).

Do not assume & believe someone knows or understands this (or anything at all, whatsoever) nor that there is any thing to know or understand.

(Bending the spoon is impossible.)

Expression of emotions experienced is not ‘about myself’.

I, me, my & mine are stories. 

It’s just about the expressing, the practice itself.

Until of course, it wasn’t. 

🤍

Can you explain the opposite? How does it work in regard to believing discordant thoughts? Do you go down one emotion at a time or can you go from happiness to despair in one fell swoop?

I don't wanna see for myself, It doesn't feel good 😄.

Edited by Orb

♾️

I started from the bottom acknowledging that each emotion was present one by one, but I'm not really feeling the emotion that I'm at on the scale. I can say that hopefulness is an emotion being felt right now, but I don't feel any hopefulness or there aren't hopeful thoughts arising.

Using the scale doesnt feel aligned for me. I prefer meditation and other stuff.

Edited by Orb

♾️

19 hours ago, Orb said:

Can you explain the opposite?

Appearing = forgetting & overlooking, and the inherent nature of appearing is that there aren’t actually opposites.

Like how ice or steam are not actually opposite to water.

Imagine ice thinking about where, what or who water is. 

19 hours ago, Orb said:

How does it work in regard to believing discordant thoughts?

Choose the emotion on the scale which is experienced.

19 hours ago, Orb said:

Do you go down one emotion at a time or can you go from happiness to despair in one fell swoop?

Happiness is listed on the scale (as an emotion) as a concession. The one who goes from happiness, which is no longer happiness is “the ego” (the separate self of thoughts). This ‘one’ doesn’t exist, but thoughts arise making it seem so to happiness. 

19 hours ago, Orb said:

I don't wanna see for myself, It doesn't feel good 😄.

No worries as that wouldn’t even be possible. I = myself.  🤍

18 hours ago, Orb said:

I started from the bottom acknowledging that each emotion was present one by one, but I'm not really feeling the emotion that I'm at on the scale. I can say that hopefulness is an emotion being felt right now, but I don't feel any hopefulness or there aren't hopeful thoughts arising.

Using the scale doesnt feel aligned for me. I prefer meditation and other stuff.

Expression of emotions experienced is not ‘about myself’.

It’s not about wether or not the tool feels aligned for you. 

It’s for the aligning of thought with feeling. 

(It won’t work for aligning feeling with thoughts and is not intended to either). 

18 hours ago, Orb said:

Also, I find I go up the scale naturally when I'm meditating, stretching, eating better. 

Expression of emotions experienced is not ‘about myself’.

I can never find I, I (already) = I. 

Put another way, the scale is a tool for aligning thought with feeling, and not for aligning feeling with thoughts. 

@Phil Is the scale helpful because it helps people take baby steps towards allowing feeling? 

Would you say with enough experience one is able to go straight into fully allowing feeling immediately upon "lower" emotions arising? 

For example, if you're experienced with using the scale and anger comes up, can you fully open up and allow the anger to turn into Love? (When I say love, I mean like a transmuted form of anger, language can't keep up with emotion).

♾️

8 hours ago, Orb said:

@Phil Is the scale helpful because it helps people take baby steps towards allowing feeling? 

Expression of emotions experienced is not ‘about myself’.

No, sorry, the scale isn’t helpful for people. There’s no such thing(s) as people. So you might say it helps you recognize that there aren’t people / recognize the nature of yourself / dispel conditioning & beliefs. Making it helpful for me would be self defeating & scale defeating, as there is the self but there isn’t that secondary me that needs help / that some thing is helpful for. When those thoughts arise, emotions are created (‘experienced’). There isn’t anything anyone could really ever do which would prevent feeling from being, because feeling is synonymous with being. There isn’t anyone who could ‘go toward’ feeling. 

8 hours ago, Orb said:

Would you say with enough experience one is able to go straight into fully allowing feeling immediately upon "lower" emotions arising? 

It’s more revealing of what is already actual, or what is already the truth. There aren’t really higher & lower emotions that someone has or experiences. There is infinite being appearing as creation and ‘thoughts’, feeling the thoughts it’s appearing as while being creation & creating as the creator. 

8 hours ago, Orb said:

For example, if you're experienced with using the scale and anger comes up, can you fully open up and allow the anger to turn into Love? (When I say love, I mean like a transmuted form of anger, language can't keep up with emotion).

There isn’t a (second) you which is experienced, because time is just another thought you’re appearing as. Experience isn’t a thing anyone has, it’s creation which is being, (same infinite being). Anger doesn’t come up per se, a thought comes up which infinite being is appearing as, and there is how that thought feels right now (there’s only ‘right now’ because creation is apparent). So the word anger just points to how the apparent thought feels. The nature of infinite being is (unconditional) love, and infinite, which ‘means’ no finite (as a concession). So anger isn’t a thing which turns into love, it’s a thought which is already love. For clarity sake, no thing ever ‘awakens to’ or ‘turns into’ love. Love is already infinite, already the only self there is, already all that there actually is. We (appearance of being / creation) could talk (via appearance) in terms of there being ‘body’s’ that transmute as Well, but frankly all there is is love and body is just another thought being is being, like anger, or potatoes chips. 

3 hours ago, Orb said:

@Phil

If all emotion is is how a thought feels, then why not just think "I Am experiencing the emotion Love" over and over instead of going through every emotion one by one? 

Right, so same thing here. There’s the thought “I’m experiencing love”, but there isn’t the implied ‘thinker’ ‘thinking’ the thought. 

Any expression is great relative to that it isn’t suppression.

Yet expression can be ‘hijacked’, made out to be about the ol’ separate self, the “me”, the ‘individual’.

The scale is shadow ‘work’ as much as it is alignment. It’s as much a clearing out the ”me” of thoughts as it is a refocusing on wanted. “Wanted” communicates, points, but even “wanted” is too much. Wanted = what is already the case. Such as with ‘stream entry’ - you’re being ‘the stream’ the whole time (not in the stream), and thoughts arise, sometimes to the contrary - and thus the clearing out is experientially a ‘returning to the stream of life’, which in truth you never could leave and never would want to. Hence, discord. It’s a tool / exercise, with the secondary point being expression / release, and the primary point being ‘walking yourself back to yourself’ / clearing out the illusion of a separate self via expression. 

Analogously, the loophole shake framed up likewise as an exercise / tool…

Ice cubes, chocolate almond milk, protein power, cacao and a banana in the cup… isn’t quite the loophole shake experience. There’s still the putting on the lid, putting the cup on the blender, blending… and then actually drinking the shake. Framed as a tool analogous to the scale, now it’s complete. The exercise ends with the taste. The main point wasn’t making it, but rather drinking it. 

Same with the scale. 

Expressing worry, disappointment, doubt, frustration and the like is relatively better than not / than suppressing. But continue, keep going, ‘reach for the better feeling thought’ - taste the pessimism, the boredom, the contentment, the hopefulness. Taste (allow the feeling of / allow the alignment) positive expectations, optimism, the enthusiasm, the eagerness. Allow the Happiness, the passion, the joy, appreciation, empowerment… the Freedom, the Love you are. Don’t stop short on “your self”. 🤍

“I’m frustrated” is a thought believed to be true, as in known, about yourself. 

The thought feels off because it isn’t actually true about yourself. 

Likely sounds ‘to good to be true’, but… you actually aren’t frustrated. 

Emotionally the message is loud & clear.

There is an experience of an emotion; frustration. 

Emotion is guidance for thoughts. 

Frustration isn’t about you, it’s about how the thoughts feel - to you. 

In scenario one it’s believed to be known or true and that’s the end of it. There’s no resolve or relief, no recognition of guidance, no Self-recognition. 

In scenario two frustration is acknowledged as an emotion and more significantly, as guidance for thoughts. 

Now there’s ‘somewhere to go’ expression & frustration wise for relief and clarity; the next emotion on the scale. 

This allows the ‘shining of the light’, the illumination, the clarity as to why these thoughts feel discordant to you. 

Con: The negative position or one holding it.

Fusion: The process or result of joining two or more things together to form a single entity.

You’re not the negative (discordant) position, you’re the one holding it. 

Shadow work wise, the one who’s frustrated (I’m frustrated) is a concept and not a self. 

The one experiencing frustration is not conceptual and is you. 

The nonexistant self and actual self can not be fused together because there are already not two. 

Put another way in lay terms, only in thoughts and not actually; you’re judging “yourself”, then judging her, for judging you. 

But she’s not judging you. She is you, experiencing preferences, same as you. 

You’re already a complete, whole, infinite, eternal & unconditional entity… apparently believing the love you are was coming from her. 

Feeling, or, if preferred - ‘your inner being’… can not go there because it isn’t true. 

Listen to the inner being, enjoy the alignment. 

Emotions are a lot like bats. Being at odds with them & trying to make them go away doesn’t resolve anything. No matter what you do to that end, they’ll persist. They’ll camp out in your attic and invite all their friends. The way to resolve bats is to hang a bat-house. To acknowledge they fit in to this whole experience, make a place for them and welcome them home.