A Course In Miracles

Blessed2

I wanted to make a thread on ACIM since it has been so helpful for me and I'd like to share it. However, I'm still a total beginner and the way I present the Course here might be more or less off. So I recommend reading the source material and/or an introductory book. This thread is a learning for myself too.

I'll keep posting whatever insight might come while reading the course myself, and share some quotes that I find helpful.

This is an open thread so any insight you want to share, advice you want to offer or questions you'd like to ask are welcome!

What is it?

A Course In Miracles is a self-study program designed to bring about transformation in one's inner life and thus find true, lasting peace.

It could be characterized as a non-dual study program or thought-system. It is synonymous with all other non-dual traditions and systems, such as Buddhism, Advaita Vedanta, Daoism etc. However, like every tradition, ACIM too has it's own unique language, map, practice and emphasis.

The entire work is available for free here: https://acim.org/acim/about/a-course-in-miracles/en/s/1010

(it's official & legal).

Where did it come from?

Helen Scuchman, a psychiatrist from New York scribed it according to an "inner voice" which dictated the entire book for her. This happened in the 70s and took several years.

The "inner voice" was likely Jesus. However, in reading the book, it might be better not to think of some dude in the desert 2000 years ago, but rather a mind that knows no limitation and recognizes Truth from illusion.

What does it say?

https://acim.org/acim/preface/what-it-says/en/s/43

Here's how I've come to understand it, in a nutshell:

In appearing as perfection you forgot your perfection and thought you split in two.

The belief that separation actually happened resulted in fear and guilt.

Because you believe there is separation, and fear & guilt is justified, you hide from it using projection.

You project images of separation, fear and guilt as a world, body and separate selves. "Things and stuff."

The belief that the split (separation) actually happened, is the ego. (Wrong mind)

The rememberance of your perfection is The Holy Spirit. (Right mind)

The Course aims in choosing the right mind.

Some suggestions for the journey

I recommend reading some introductory book before starting off with the Course. The language is quite heavy and can be hard to catch on without some preparation. Some good books might be:

Disappearance of the Universe by Gary R. Renard

Take me to Truth by Nouk Sanchez

A Course In Miracles Made Easy by Alan Cohen

Lectures of Kenneth Wapnick

I also recommend reading it in the original language (english). About half of the book is actually also poetry. It uses something called "iambic pentameter" which is a form of poetic rhythm. Same as Shakespeare often used and the same in which our hearts beat. It would be impossible to really translate to other languages.

Living the life of miracles

"A Miracle" in the Course means a shift in perception, from fear to love. To put it in more practical terms, "a miracle" is a change in how you interpret whatever appears to be going on in your life.

So A Course in Miracles... Is a course in shifting perception from fear to love.

The book has a part called "Workbook for Students" which is dedicated to train the reader to think the same way the Course does.

However, alongside of the Workbook, it is essential you do the "miracle work" day to day, using your illusions as means to wake yourself up. This is the fundamental emphasis of the Course - to use the illusion to free yourself from the illusion. This is to the Course what meditation is to Buddhism and self-inquiry is to Advaita Vedanta.

"Forgiveness" in the Course is a way to use the illusion of bodies and separate selves to wake yourself. It is percieving the other as who they truly are, a Child of God. And as you see the other, so you see yourself.

Rather than seeing the body, see the spirit. Rather than seeing guilt and shame, see innocence. Rather than seeing the ego, see the Enlightened One. This is what forgiveness means.

It might be helpful to make it into sort of a "to do - list" so you can walk yourself through forgiveness whenever you encounter a good opporunity to do so. Say to yourself:

1. "This is not really happening / I am not really here / there is no 'here' / this is a dream / none of this is happening" etc.

2. "Everyone and everything is completely innocent / there is no doer / all there is, is innocence" etc.

3. "Separation never happened / there is only the face of God / not two" etc.

Eventually it will not be a thing you do sometimes, but you'll only see a forgiven world. And that's your ticket to the Kingdom.

When you meet anyone, remember it is a holy encounter. ²As you see him you will see yourself. ³As you treat him you will treat yourself. ⁴As you think of him you will think of yourself. ⁵Never forget this, for in him you will find yourself or lose yourself. ⁶Whenever two Sons of God meet, they are given another chance at salvation. ⁷Do not leave anyone without giving salvation to him and receiving it yourself. (ACIM, T-8.III.4:1-7)

There must be an effortless way.

²To forgive is to overlook. ³Look, then, beyond error and do not let your perception rest upon it, for you will believe what your perception holds. ⁴Accept as true only what your brother is, if you would know yourself. ⁵Perceive what he is not and you cannot know what you are, because you see him falsely. ⁶Remember always that your Identity is shared, and that Its sharing is Its reality. (ACIM, T-9.IV.1:2-6)

The Four Noble Truths of the Buddha and The Eightfold Path might be quite synonymous with the Course's miracle thing.

The four truths and the eightfold path might actually describe a natural process, rather than a philosophical doctrine or advice as to how to live.

Just like the cork naturally rising to the surface as Phil has sometimes mentioned. A natural process. Maybe the Eightfold Path is more like an instantaneous momentum, a shift from belief to unconditionality.

Not a path per se, but an instantaneous natural process of letting go resistance and allowing the cork to rise.

@Phil @Mandy This would make a pretty interesting subject for a video. The four truths are mentioned in the guidelines, right? Would be cool to hear more about what it points to.

Might be good to have a little notepad or journal for any questions that may arise while studying the course or any spiritual practice really. Direct the questions for The Holy Spirit, or Source / whatever resonates.

I'm doing it! Let's see what happens.

I'm starting to suspect that it really is this simple: the ego is the belief that truth is too good to be true. 😂

The projection of the ego makes it appear as if God’s Will is outside yourself, and therefore not yours. ²In this interpretation it seems possible for God’s Will and yours to conflict. ³God, then, may seem to demand of you what you do not want to give, and thus deprive you of what you want. ⁴Would God, Who wants only your will, be capable of this? ⁵Your will is His life, which He has given to you.

You cannot be happy unless you do what you will truly, and you cannot change this because it is immutable. ²It is immutable by God’s Will and yours, for otherwise His Will would not be extended. ³You are afraid to know God’s Will, because you believe it is not yours. ⁴This belief is your whole sickness and your whole fear. ⁵Every symptom of sickness and fear arises here, because this is the belief that makes you want not to know. ⁶Believing this you hide in darkness, denying that the light is in you. (ACIM, T-11.I.9:1-5;10:1-6)

@Phil A question...

Really hard one to put into words...

I'm wondering about the initial "thought of separation" that "started" all this mess, the basis of the ego.

Is it basically the "I" - thought?

Maybe it could be told in a story-form, like this:

In eternity / infinity / One, there appears a thought, "what if I had my own will?"

That might seem reasonable for a rational mind, but for infinity / One, it's totally nonsensical and ridiculous.

Similar to the idea of "an alone God" which is sometimes purported. Or solipsism. "Infinity being alone". Makes no sense. But that's basically the fundamental thought of separation isn't it? 🤔

"Mine, my own"

That's also why there is the forgetting. The thought "mine, my own" is total confusion, total darkness. Like Truth just cannot enter it. Hence the forgetting.

I just saw someone on a spirituality FB-group talking about how his wife has daily anger bursts, dumping it all on him. And he was like "I am thankful for this opportunity to learn love. I am thankful for this opportunity to grow." Basically saying he is in need of learning how to love and this wife with anger problems is a gift.

Jesus F Christ

The guy was basically sacrificing innocent children and the post had over a hundred likes.

Edited by Blessed2

Been reading the Course and doing the Workbook lessons regularly. It's been awesome.

Doubts come and go, but there is this odd sense of hopefulness and almost a certainty that ignorance and suffering will be lifted. Something just feels so right.

The acceptance of guilt into the mind of God’s Son was the beginning of the separation, as the acceptance of the Atonement is its end. ²The world you see is the delusional system of those made mad by guilt. ³Look carefully at this world, and you will realize that this is so. ⁴For this world is the symbol of punishment, and all the laws that seem to govern it are the laws of death. ⁵Children are born into it through pain and in pain. ⁶Their growth is attended by suffering, and they learn of sorrow and separation and death. ⁷Their minds seem to be trapped in their brain, and its powers to decline if their bodies are hurt. ⁸They seem to love, yet they desert and are deserted. ⁹They appear to lose what they love, perhaps the most insane belief of all. ¹⁰And their bodies wither and gasp and are laid in the ground, and are no more. ¹¹Not one of them but has thought that God is cruel.

If this were the real world, God would be cruel. ²For no Father could subject His children to this as the price of salvation and be loving. ³Love does not kill to save. ⁴If it did, attack would be salvation, and this is the ego’s interpretation, not God’s. ⁵Only the world of guilt could demand this, for only the guilty could conceive of it. ⁶Adam’s “sin” could have touched no one, had he not believed it was the Father Who drove him out of Paradise. ⁷For in that belief the knowledge of the Father was lost, since only those who do not understand Him could believe it.

This world is a picture of the crucifixion of God’s Son. ²And until you realize that God’s Son cannot be crucified, this is the world you will see. ³Yet you will not realize this until you accept the eternal fact that God’s Son is not guilty. ⁴He deserves only love because he has given only love. ⁵He cannot be condemned because he has never condemned. ⁶The Atonement is the final lesson he need learn, for it teaches him that, never having sinned, he has no need of salvation. (ACIM, T-13.in.2:1-11;3:1-7;4:1-6)

On 5/4/2023 at 4:38 PM, Blessed2 said:

Basically saying he is in need of learning how to love and this wife with anger problems is a gift.

Maybe he’s looking into how he’s attracting that experience. 

21 hours ago, Blessed2 said:

Doubts come and go, but there is this odd sense of hopefulness and almost a certainty that ignorance and suffering will be lifted. Something just feels so right.

Like the way of no hand on stove is noticing one puts one’s hand on the stove. ‘Going down a different street’ instead. Consciously creating.

If you read ACIM and/or do the Workbook, be very mindful of your intuition and the emotional guidance. Read slowly, no hurry. The Main Text - part is basically just the same Message repeated over and over again, just differently.

Honestly, most of it would be total gibberish without reading with intuition / emotional guidance.