What are some examples of parasocial relationships?

I think this is a great topic. 👍 My relationship with Ben and Jerry, Harry Potter, and Jack from Titanic. 😂

Seriously though, I think that any online relationship can fit that description. A few years ago my husband's cousin posted on social media a lot with lots of intimate details about her life, and I was reading on social media a lot at that time. I ran into her in the pediatrician's waiting room and had a quick conversation in which I recognized the weirdness that in person she didn't know ANYTHING about me, nor did she appear to care to and I felt like I already knew everything about her and her life. It seemed weird and almost inappropriate, like I had been sneaking in and reading her diary.

Usually this dynamic is with someone we admire, but it can be with someone we criticize or are simply giving a lot of thought to. I think it's important to understand that what we appreciate or dislike about another does not come from the other exclusively, but comes from ourselves. Not that it's a flaw or lack within ourselves, but that it's an important clue about what we want. If we become obsessed with someone who doesn't give us the attention we would like, or any attention, it might be that we are not giving ourselves that attention or appreciation. We are always the attention itself. When we rest in that, there isn't suffering about who is getting or giving too much or too little of it. It easier to stop thinking about things that aren't fulfilling and start giving attention to the thing we want to be making more in our lives. If we find ourselves very invested in someone, it might also be that they embody or reflect something that we really want to allow ourselves. For example confidence, lack of insecure thoughts, allowing of ones creativity to be shared, etc. 

Youtube Channel  

Good threat 🙂 

On 2/23/2023 at 2:00 PM, Mandy said:

. If we find ourselves very invested in someone, it might also be that they embody or reflect something that we really want to allow ourselves. For example confidence, lack of insecure thoughts, allowing of ones creativity to be shared, etc. 

Thanks for that, makes a lot of sense. I tend to glorify and think a lot about certain people, and this is a really great perspective i think. I guess thats also why celebrities are admired the way they are. 

To see it as something i am not allowing my self really hits home and feels a lot better then making it about "them".

Edited by WhiteOwl