Is it Possible to be Free From Lust?

One of the remaining hindrances is Lust. Is it possible to really be free from this? 

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture

Yes, it is possible to be free from lust. It's about shifting the one perspective inward, inherently & effortlessly deconstructing / unfettering of the concepts that ostensibly form lust.

Lust arises when excitement, potentiality, and aliveness (the true nature) are misinterpreted through the lens (focus).

This creates an illusion of external objects which are alive, exciting and potentially fulfilling. (The illusion of the relative & subjective experience.) 

Via feeling, there stands to be a recognition that the lens itself is made of pure potentiality & excitement (aliveness), and it’s clear these qualities are not in external objects but within / of you.

Put another way… infinite can not know “finite”, and is inherently excitement, potentiality & aliveness. The lens is already self-evidently (via feeling) whole & complete. In accordance with direct experience, there isn’t anything missing. 360 wholeness, completeness. The Isness is truly Amness.  

It’s a great opportunity for deep alignment and appreciation for receiving (reality / joy) in comparison with getting, attaining, obtaining, etc (delusion / suffering). The essence of excitement, potentiality, and aliveness is already immutably within you, there is no need for perpetual seeking of these qualities outside yourself.

In practice…

Bring attention back / inward, away from the illusion of external fulfillment. Awareness reorientated ‘back upon itself’,  aware of being aware. Self-recognize that ‘external objects of consciousness’ are the somewhere-sphere (world) and ‘inner’ interpretations of desires are of the someway-sphere (lens), and ‘these’ are merely your vibrational appearance as awareness appearing. 

Bring thought to rest, allow the body to fully relax /  de-contract. Presence unobscured of its own apparent activity as the spheres. Relish in the aliveness, excitement & potentiality of being present. 

Acknowledge that lust and other desires are conceptual constructs arising as misinterpretations of your innate qualities. By de-conceptualizing (simply being aware of) these constructs, you see them for the illusions they actually are.

As ‘innate qualities’ leaves some meat on the bone by implying duality via plurality & multiplicity, feel that this (aliveness, potentiality, excitement) is your true essence which in truth remains regardless of any situations or circumstances you might be appearing as. 

This also highlights the distinction between egocentric objectification & manipulation ensuing in terms of intentions, actions & behaviors..  in comparison to receiving -  alignment with / as reality, as the true nature, as the “center” of the lens-sphere, as that which is not actually thinking, moving & doing, and is always prior to and being the spheres. 

The acknowledgement of the illusory nature of objects of separation is the self-recognition that you are and eternally remain whole and complete. This dispels need and want, highlighting apparent preferences & alignment, allowing deeper and yet more effortless consciously-creating. Allowing is like a permission slip to enjoy what is, life if you will, as is, as it unfolds. Similar to acknowledging emotions, interpretations of life, reality or anything at all being ‘against you’ are ‘bypassed’ via presence, rather than seemingly being driven by an illusion of externally sourced desires. Therein, attraction is grounded in reality with a foundation of the truth of your ‘inner’ completeness. 

True alignment and receiving therein is recognizing your inherent completeness, aliveness, excitement and potentiality as ‘This’ (not as a possession). Shifting focus inward, naturally deconstructing illusions, embodying wholeness, and embracing the present moment is the only true fulfillment and peace (infinitude).

A direct method as well… earbuds (the deeper the bass the better feeling & vibrationally speaking) & Feelin Love and or Uninvited, as these can assist with bringing about many concepts central to lust to be ‘seen’, allowing opportunity for the aliveness, excitement of potentiality of your being to be more pronounced & felt / realized. Combined with a light inspection of direct experience, it’s noticed these aspects of yourself are felt, are feeling, are Self… evidenced by there not actually being any presence of any ‘object to crave’. 

Is It Possible to Be Free from lust?  I think the error here is thinking the you in the dream needs to be reformed or changed to be enlightened.  The dream stays the dream, it's how You attach (or rather don't attach) identity to the dream (including the you in that dream) that changes.  So, lust never goes away, but it's not Your lust.  You the good and bad character in the dream doesn't go away, it's how that character is attached to that changes.  You realize that ain't You.  So You don't need to modify anything on the dream level -- You couldn't anyway.  That is exactly what misses the point of spiritual enlightenment: trying to reform yourself or purify Samsara.  Nobody wants to let the dream be a dream -- let it go in other words.  That's too scary.  But the dream doesn't have anything to do with You, and doesn't need You to be the dream.  The Christian tendency to reform the you in the dream I think causes a lot of traps to people inclined that way for spiritual enlightenment.  The judging, the shaming, wanting to be good, wanting to point out bad, etc.  This is like being offended at a movie because it has a plot and drama in it -- of course it does!  It wouldn't be an interesting movie otherwise.  Imagine a movie with all saints in it -- you wouldn't Watch that movie.  Hell is identifying with the dream, it's not a place bad people go after they die.  Heaven can be right now, it's not a place good people go after they die.  Heaven has nothing to do with actions or omissions in the dream, it has to do with knowledge of the Self and the not-Self.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

22 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

I think the error here is

Why do you assume there is an error here? 😂

I am the playful and ever-present Source, joyfully embracing every thought and emotion as part of my perfect, unfolding co-creative dream.

On 6/21/2024 at 8:24 AM, Phil said:

Yes, it is possible to be free from lust. It's about shifting the one perspective inward, inherently & effortlessly deconstructing / unfettering of the concepts that ostensibly form lust.

Lust arises when excitement, potentiality, and aliveness (the true nature) are misinterpreted through the lens (focus).

This creates an illusion of external objects which are alive, exciting and potentially fulfilling. (The illusion of the relative & subjective experience.) 

Via feeling, there stands to be a recognition that the lens itself is made of pure potentiality & excitement (aliveness), and it’s clear these qualities are not in external objects but within / of you.

Put another way… infinite can not know “finite”, and is inherently excitement, potentiality & aliveness. The lens is already self-evidently (via feeling) whole & complete. In accordance with direct experience, there isn’t anything missing. 360 wholeness, completeness. The Isness is truly Amness.  

It’s a great opportunity for deep alignment and appreciation for receiving (reality / joy) in comparison with getting, attaining, obtaining, etc (delusion / suffering). The essence of excitement, potentiality, and aliveness is already immutably within you, there is no need for perpetual seeking of these qualities outside yourself.

In practice…

Bring attention back / inward, away from the illusion of external fulfillment. Awareness reorientated ‘back upon itself’,  aware of being aware. Self-recognize that ‘external objects of consciousness’ are the somewhere-sphere (world) and ‘inner’ interpretations of desires are of the someway-sphere (lens), and ‘these’ are merely your vibrational appearance as awareness appearing. 

Bring thought to rest, allow the body to fully relax /  de-contract. Presence unobscured of its own apparent activity as the spheres. Relish in the aliveness, excitement & potentiality of being present. 

Acknowledge that lust and other desires are conceptual constructs arising as misinterpretations of your innate qualities. By de-conceptualizing (simply being aware of) these constructs, you see them for the illusions they actually are.

As ‘innate qualities’ leaves some meat on the bone by implying duality via plurality & multiplicity, feel that this (aliveness, potentiality, excitement) is your true essence which in truth remains regardless of any situations or circumstances you might be appearing as. 

This also highlights the distinction between egocentric objectification & manipulation ensuing in terms of intentions, actions & behaviors..  in comparison to receiving -  alignment with / as reality, as the true nature, as the “center” of the lens-sphere, as that which is not actually thinking, moving & doing, and is always prior to and being the spheres. 

The acknowledgement of the illusory nature of objects of separation is the self-recognition that you are and eternally remain whole and complete. This dispels need and want, highlighting apparent preferences & alignment, allowing deeper and yet more effortless consciously-creating. Allowing is like a permission slip to enjoy what is, life if you will, as is, as it unfolds. Similar to acknowledging emotions, interpretations of life, reality or anything at all being ‘against you’ are ‘bypassed’ via presence, rather than seemingly being driven by an illusion of externally sourced desires. Therein, attraction is grounded in reality with a foundation of the truth of your ‘inner’ completeness. 

True alignment and receiving therein is recognizing your inherent completeness, aliveness, excitement and potentiality as ‘This’ (not as a possession). Shifting focus inward, naturally deconstructing illusions, embodying wholeness, and embracing the present moment is the only true fulfillment and peace (infinitude).

A direct method as well… earbuds (the deeper the bass the better feeling & vibrationally speaking) & Feelin Love and or Uninvited, as these can assist with bringing about many concepts central to lust to be ‘seen’, allowing opportunity for the aliveness, excitement of potentiality of your being to be more pronounced & felt / realized. Combined with a light inspection of direct experience, it’s noticed these aspects of yourself are felt, are feeling, are Self… evidenced by there not actually being any presence of any ‘object to crave’. 

I had a lightbulb moment an hour ago. While thinking of girls I took a second to recognize that that excitement/vitality is me! 

Same thing with my dream girl, the feeling I associate with her is actually me. 

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture